PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps thru-hike

equazcion
04-13-2016, 08:02
I'm not sure if something like this has been posted before, but just in case...

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zG98BtuqmWMM.k2Z1Druxu6b0&usp=sharing

I had some difficulty finding a genuine Google Map of the entire trail. Most maps I found were embedded online maps where the general Google Maps features weren't available.

Aside from how much info this contains and how well it's organized, the major upside of an actual Google Map is that you can download it in KML form, which you can then import into many mobile mapping apps for use with offline maps (I'm using AlpineQuest). The map files available from the Conservancy website were in formats that aren't widely supported and didn't contain as much info.

Just to clarify, I didn't create this (and take no responsibility for its accuracy). I stumbled across it randomly and there was no author info. I'm just re-sharing it, as it was hard to find and doesn't seem to come up much in Google searches.

If I've missed something and there is already a commonly used Google Maps link for something like this, let me know.

rafe
04-13-2016, 08:06
I didn't know! That's very cool. Thanks.

rafe
04-13-2016, 08:50
Just check it out for a small region that I'm familiar with.

It doesn't show Liberty Springs campsite, which is right on the AT.

It does show Guyot campsite, which is a bit off the AT (but useful for thru and section hikers, in a pinch.)

It doesn't show The Perch, which is further off the AT, generally not used by thru or section hikers (but good to know about.)

equazcion
04-13-2016, 09:19
Just check it out for a small region that I'm familiar with. It doesn't show...

Those don't seem to be in the Conservancy files either, so maybe the shelter portion of this map was also compiled from the Conservancy files, and whatever isn't there won't be here. Just a guess though.

PS. Before I found the Google Map linked above, I was desperate and did some converting and importing of the map files available from the Conservancy website. In the end I have a KML version of it all. Their files contain the center trail line, shelter waypoints, and parking waypoints (the map linked above seems to have more extras). I'm including a link below to my converted version in case anyone is concerned about accuracy or completeness of the map linked above.

NOTE: Apparently this KML file is too big to import into a new Google Map online, so you'd need to download it. It can be imported into the Google Earth desktop app, and you should be able to import it into an offline mobile app. Also note that the waypoint text info on this one is a little crude because I did quick mass-converts, but all the info is there and readable.

Converted AT Conservancy version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2IdSQg-F6ikTVQtdnhPcV8zWFk/view

Roamin
04-14-2016, 13:38
Pretty good link for general information. I was checking their references - AWOL's 2014 Guide and ATC 2011, a bit out dated, but good for general planning.

equazcion
04-14-2016, 15:49
Pretty good link for general information. I was checking their references - AWOL's 2014 Guide and ATC 2011, a bit out dated, but good for general planning.

Where did you see references for the first link in the OP? I didn't see any.

The second link was made from the files that the AT Conservancy has posted for download. If those haven't changed since 2011 can we assume nothing major has changed on the trail since then, or do they just not update things as much as third parties?

Another Kevin
04-14-2016, 19:00
Where did you see references for the first link in the OP? I didn't see any.

The second link was made from the files that the AT Conservancy has posted for download. If those haven't changed since 2011 can we assume nothing major has changed on the trail since then, or do they just not update things as much as third parties?

They do not update their idea of the tral centerline nearly as often as the local maintaining clubs do. There are surely a few major relocations since 2011. (Coach Lou will tell you all about some of them.)