PDA

View Full Version : Zpacks poncho/groundsheet use as a shelter?

English Stu
04-13-2016, 10:11
I have a Zpacks poncho: just wondered anyone had used oneover a cord to make a rudimentary shelter for short journeys. Seems big enoughto me. I carry a MLD bivvy bag also. Any thoughts on this.

I have experience with another poncho shelter. I know aboutthe issue of setting up a shelter in the rain and getting wet when you take offthe poncho but I always carry a wind/rain resistant jacket for rest /town use whichwould overcome this aspect.

Sandy of PA
04-13-2016, 11:58
Cuben lasts a long time if it is not abraided. I would hesitate to put my poncho over a cord as the wind would create wear. You would have to figure a way to pitch it without rubbing the cuben part using the loops that are for attaching it inside a Hexamid.

English Stu
04-14-2016, 08:56
Thanks, good thinking Sandy of PA.
I have TT Notch or Tarp for longer treks. It was just a thought for an overnighter/weekender; to add, should I need it, to the MLD Superlite bivy bag. Maybe overthinking it.

QiWiz
04-14-2016, 14:20
I have a Zpacks poncho: just wondered anyone had used oneover a cord to make a rudimentary shelter for short journeys. Seems big enoughto me. I carry a MLD bivvy bag also. Any thoughts on this.

I have experience with another poncho shelter. I know aboutthe issue of setting up a shelter in the rain and getting wet when you take offthe poncho but I always carry a wind/rain resistant jacket for rest /town use whichwould overcome this aspect.

Since you already have one in hand, why not do a "backyard test" the next time its raining. For me it would not be big enough