PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with a bunion...

fabianscorpio
04-13-2016, 11:30
I developed a small bunion on my left foot from my last 5 day hike, I over did it....16 miles a day starting with 6 days of food, by the time I was done I could hardly walk, my feet were so sore! That was a month ago. I'm leaving in 3 days for my 'big hike'...I doesn't hurt when I walk, nor does it bother me when my boots are on (I wear keens so there is plenty of room in the toe box). But, I haven't hiked with the bunion since...I'm hoping I can 'manage' it by taking it slow, resting frequently, and wearing a bunion splint at night...anyone else have any tips, ideas, or inspiring stories of hiking with a bunion? Thx.

jimmyjam
04-13-2016, 11:40
I had mine cut off. It took a solid six months to heal. But I did manage to hike all of Bryce Canyon four months into recovery. You might try Altras if the Keens rub your bunion as they have an even bigger toe box

ChrisJackson
04-13-2016, 11:47
This is the first thing that came to mind:
https://nwfootankle.com/foot-health/drill/3-Problems/22-Bunion

The product "Correct Toes" may or may not help you...but if you're leaving in 3 days...you wouldn't have time for them to be shipped to you. Just something to keep in mind possibly for future. You need to be aware to that if you tried this product...you may have to switch to an Altra shoe rather than the Keen in order to comfortably wear the product with shoes. Or you can modify you're existing shoe or boot possibly. They have some videos on how-to-do it...it's basically just cutting up your shoe.

home page:
https://www.nwfootankle.com/

Hope you have a good hike and it doesn't bother you.

fabianscorpio
04-13-2016, 12:51
Thanks for the links! I've been stretching and icing afterwards...I just hope it doesn't get worse as I go. I can deal with mild discomfort and some pain, but, yeah...I fear that my hike may be over before I really get started....ugh!

ChrisJackson
04-13-2016, 14:07
Yeah...I hear ya! Are you far from an REI? One locale here in ATL started carrying Altras...maybe one in PA does now? Trying not to sound like a salesman...but man, that toe box is spacious. It could make things more bearable. Changing something like shoes 3 days before departure is a little dicey though! But, otoh...I guess I'd rather impulsively buy a new shoe 3 days before departure, not be wild about them- but have a lot of space for my toes/bunion...rather than stick with what hurt me last time. I'd even consider taking both and just using the Altras as a camp shoe if the Keens were working out. Best.

fabianscorpio
04-13-2016, 15:35
Thx, but honestly, it wasn't the shoe/boot that hurt me, it was hiking without stopping/resting because I felt invincible...the pad of my left foot was so sore/blistering from impacting the ground, that I started using my big toe on that foot to compensate and take pressure off the pad of that foot, I remember distinctly, so I think that is what did it. And my keens actually have plenty of room, I've been wearing them around the house lately because it's the only shoe I have that doesn't bother it!!!! haha

fabianscorpio
04-13-2016, 15:37
Oh, and I've also bought gel insoles for my boots since my last hike...they also seem to really help!