PDA

View Full Version : The Smokies in 2 days?

Stevep311
04-13-2016, 12:58
Last weekend I tried to complete the Smokies from the Fontana Hilton to Davenport Gap. The goal was 36 miles a day. I did not make it but learned a lot. Was this goal completely unreasonable?

rafe
04-13-2016, 13:04
I would guess that, among the general population, less than 1 in 1000 could pull that off.

I know of two young hikers who ran the 100-mile wilderness in two days (with plenty of support) back in 2010. Smokies are shorter but possibly more vertical than the HMW.

Stevep311
04-13-2016, 13:09
I made it the first day, but my knees would not allow me to continue so I had to bail out at Newfound Gap in the morning. I had a 13lb pack and trained a little for it. It really made me appreciate what Anish and Kirk did!!

Tipi Walter
04-13-2016, 13:18
Not quite sure why you'd want to rush thru the "wilderness" so fast. Why do something on foot in two days when you could do it in seven?? Or here's a thought: Drive hiway 441 and be done in an hour.

MuddyWaters
04-13-2016, 13:20
Last weekend I tried to complete the Smokies from the Fontana Hilton to Davenport Gap. The goal was 36 miles a day. I did not make it but learned a lot. Was this goal
completely unreasonable?

Unreasonable depends on person.

A bunch have done it in under 24 hrs. Park rangers have made a competition of it.

Record is under 15 hrs.

Stevep311
04-13-2016, 13:21
Not quite sure why you'd want to rush thru the "wilderness" so fast. Why do something on foot in two days when you could do it in seven?? Or here's a thought: Drive hiway 441 and be done in an hour.

Cause I hate sleeping in shelters?

Hikingjim
04-13-2016, 13:22
yes, your knees already told you it wasn't reasonable given your age/fitness & the distance.
There are certainly ultramarathon types that could do that without issue, but I know that I wouldn't even be interested in trying. I wouldn't get that much enjoyment out of it and I'd probably be recovering for awhile!

Tipi Walter
04-13-2016, 13:24
Unreasonable depends on person.

A bunch have done it in under 24 hrs. Park rangers have made a competition of it.

Record is under 15 hrs.

But what's the Slowest Known Time? I'm much more interested in a guy pulling this trek and taking 10 or 12 days. Otherwise this General forum thread degenerates into Speed Hiking and Trail Running.

Stevep311
04-13-2016, 13:29
But what's the Slowest Known Time? I'm much more interested in a guy pulling this trek and taking 10 or 12 days. Otherwise this General forum thread degenerates into Speed Hiking and Trail Running.
I wouldn't call it speed hiking.....more like hiking long hours. I only averaged between 2 - 3 miles per hour. Started at 5am and finished at 9:45pm.

MuddyWaters
04-13-2016, 13:33

Attempting 36 mpd in the smokies , at least on the harder first half, is beyond backpacking, or hiking, and is in the "fastpacking" category.

Stevep311
04-13-2016, 13:52
Attempting 36 mpd in the smokies , at least on the harder first half, is beyond backpacking, or hiking, and is in the "fastpacking" category.

But I had a backpack, I was hiking, and I did not go fast??

TNhiker
04-13-2016, 13:54
But what's the Slowest Known Time?

ten ish years............

thats about what it took me to complete the AT in the Park, doing it in sections.....

colorado_rob
04-13-2016, 13:59
I would guess that, among the general population, less than 1 in 1000 could pull that off.

I know of two young hikers who ran the 100-mile wilderness in two days (with plenty of support) back in 2010. Smokies are shorter but possibly more vertical than the HMW.I'd say more like one in a hundred or less. I think you're biased by the relatively sedentary eastern US population. Even at 60, I would have no problem doing it in 3 days, 2 with a monster push (for myself), and practically every hiker pal I normally hike with could do it in 2 (they are all younger than me).

To avoid that damn shelter hassle, I had a plan to do it in 2.5 days (two nights in the park) all worked out, but I got wise, and like Tipi says, really didn't want to rush one of the highlights of the AT. My wife and I did it in 5 easy days, with only mildly annoying shelter difficulties.

rafe
04-13-2016, 14:02
The point is, you weren't able to pull that off for two days back to back. That's no dishonor, just reality.

Stevep311
04-13-2016, 14:10
The point is, you weren't able to pull that off for two days back to back. That's no dishonor, just reality.

Agreed rafe! I am not disappointed with myself. I kinda did it to test my limits and I am now fully aware.

rafe
04-13-2016, 14:21
I'd say more like one in a hundred or less. I think you're biased by the relatively sedentary eastern US population.

Cite please? I think you're wrong about that. New England rates high for walking and cycling habits.

But I'll say that thru and section hikers are already 1 in 100, and almost no thru hikers travel at anywhere near that speed.

http://www.livescience.com/50022-step-counts-by-state.html

rafe
04-13-2016, 14:38
For Rob: more state-by-state data:

http://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp/livable-communities/documents-2014/2014-Bike-Walk-Benchmarking-Report.pdf

Pedaling Fool
04-13-2016, 14:58
...and trained a little for it...Curious, what's your hiking experience and how long did you train and what did you do for training?

... I kinda did it to test my limits and I am now fully aware.I would guess it's not your absolute limit. I'm willing to bet your physical conditioning is far from your limits.

colorado_rob
04-13-2016, 15:05
For Rob: more state-by-state data:

http://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp/livable-communities/documents-2014/2014-Bike-Walk-Benchmarking-Report.pdfYou've answered your own "cite please" question with your chart: 4 out of the top 5 states for getting recommended physical exercise are out west. I do agree that the NE is way better than the rest of the middle-east USA, but is still behind the west. Colorado is #1 in that chart, 4th column, the only one I was referring to, sorry to brag. And #50 for obesity.

dudeijuststarted
04-13-2016, 15:13
That's like wanting to go to bed with megan fox and jennifer aniston but have it over with in 15 seconds.

colorado_rob
04-13-2016, 15:24
Cite please? I think you're wrong about that. New England rates high for walking and cycling habits.

But I'll say that thru and section hikers are already 1 in 100, and almost no thru hikers travel at anywhere near that speed.

http://www.livescience.com/50022-step-counts-by-state.html

And what do thru hikers have to do with this OP? We're talking about speed hiking feats, I thought. Anyway, outta here for 10 days of hiking, can't redpond easily until return.

Tipi Walter
04-13-2016, 15:41
That's like wanting to go to bed with megan fox and jennifer aniston but have it over with in 15 seconds.

Exactamundo. I use other examples---

"I go to church and pray and get communion and have developed a way to do it in 3 minutes instead of the usual one hour".

Or: "I have learned thru certain techniques to give my children quality face and play time in much faster allotments so instead of playing catch with Timmy for 2 hours I've shortened it to 5 minutes."

Stevep311
04-13-2016, 15:46
Curious, what's your hiking experience and how long did you train and what did you do for training? I did a full P90X session (3 months), I ran 3-6 miles almost everyday for 3 months, and on the weekends I put my daughter on my back and hiked up and down a local mountain that has an elevation gain of about 900 feet. She and the pack weighed about triple what my actual carried pack weighed.

I would guess it's not your absolute limit. I'm willing to bet your physical conditioning is far from your limits. More conditioning would have helped for sure. The greatest challenge to getting your body conditioned for a feat like that is the fact that I could not afford the time to do several long hikes beforehand. Not with 3 kids at home.

Stevep311
04-13-2016, 15:48
I did a full P90X session (3 months), I ran 3-6 miles almost everyday for 3 months, and on the weekends I put my daughter on my back and hiked up and down a local mountain that has an elevation gain of about 900 feet. She and the pack weighed about triple what my actual carried pack weighed.

Stevep311
04-13-2016, 15:59
Exactamundo. I use other examples---

"I go to church and pray and get communion and have developed a way to do it in 3 minutes instead of the usual one hour".

Or: "I have learned thru certain techniques to give my children quality face and play time in much faster allotments so instead of playing catch with Timmy for 2 hours I've shortened it to 5 minutes."

On this specific hiking trip my style was different that the way you would prefer to do it, I get it. I just don't get why there is a need to criticize? By the way, I usually hike 12-15 miles a day....maybe this tidbit will allow you to pull back on the church and child quality time comparisons??

Pedaling Fool
04-13-2016, 16:50
More conditioning would have helped for sure. The greatest challenge to getting your body conditioned for a feat like that is the fact that I could not afford the time to do several long hikes beforehand. Not with 3 kids at home.

I did a full P90X session (3 months), I ran 3-6 miles almost everyday for 3 months, and on the weekends I put my daughter on my back and hiked up and down a local mountain that has an elevation gain of about 900 feet. She and the pack weighed about triple what my actual carried pack weighed.
That's the thing about physical fitness, most people focus on conditioning the aerobic system, but actually the aerobic system is fairly easy to condition -- it's actually very easy; yet, we all seem to fixate on it by doing various aerobic activities. However, when we do real world things (after training) we find it's usually not the aerobic system that failed us, rather it's the musculoskeletal system, in your case it was your knees. However, there are tons of other things that it could have been, such as your back, hips, shins, feet...

Unfortunately, unlike the aerobic system, these things take time to build up. I've been running for years and I have the aerobic capacity to run all day, but I'd end up injuring something in my musculoskeletal system. The only thing you can do is do a little everyday and keep at it. Musculoskeletal conditioning is all about consistency.

It is the reason why I believe weightlifting is very important, including very heavy weights and just because one runs, or hikes, or bikes a lot is NOT a reason to skip doing lower body workouts with heavy weights.

P.S. Heavy weights are crucial, but one must ensure they first develop a very solid base with lighter weights before grunting with the heavy stuff.

Tipi Walter
04-13-2016, 17:33
On this specific hiking trip my style was different that the way you would prefer to do it, I get it. I just don't get why there is a need to criticize? By the way, I usually hike 12-15 miles a day....maybe this tidbit will allow you to pull back on the church and child quality time comparisons??

Don't the forget the megan fox and J. aniston references.

Stevep311
04-13-2016, 17:58

Duly noted!

lonehiker
04-13-2016, 19:02

But what a 15 seconds it would be....

Malto
04-13-2016, 19:40

really guys, I get it that a hike like this has no appeal to you, stay in bed with Jen and/or Megan. But the OP wanted a challenge and he got it. Everyone has their own motivations. It's really nice to see that HYOH only applies when it's being done your way.

MtDoraDave
04-13-2016, 20:55
Great point about the HYOH.

Am I wrong, or aren't you allowed to sleep in tent/ hammock if the shelter is full?
This time of year, it's pretty easy to not sleep in shelters in the Smokies. Show up late or hang out (without setting up your spot) until late, and the shelter will be full enough so that you can pitch your tent or hang your hammock.

I chose to sleep in shelters 3 or the 6 nights I spent in the smokies last trip. Two nights for snow, last night it rained all night. The other nights I tented - as did several other hikers.

TNhiker
04-13-2016, 20:58
. Show up late or hang out (without setting up your spot) until late, and the shelter will be full enough so that you can pitch your tent or hang your hammock.

on the other hand----one shouldnt suggest breaking the rules in order to pull off a hike.....

the AT doesnt need more of that.......

Stevep311
04-13-2016, 21:17
Great point about the HYOH.

Am I wrong, or aren't you allowed to sleep in tent/ hammock if the shelter is full?
This time of year, it's pretty easy to not sleep in shelters in the Smokies. Show up late or hang out (without setting up your spot) until late, and the shelter will be full enough so that you can pitch your tent or hang your hammock.

I chose to sleep in shelters 3 or the 6 nights I spent in the smokies last trip. Two nights for snow, last night it rained all night. The other nights I tented - as did several other hikers.

MtDoraDave, respectfully, yes you are wrong. As a section hiker you must have a reservation and stay in the shelters. If they are full then a thru hiker must give up his/her space to the section hiker with a reservation. I honestly do not like these rules, but I am grateful that National Parks have rules.

mattjv89
04-13-2016, 22:54
MtDoraDave, respectfully, yes you are wrong. As a section hiker you must have a reservation and stay in the shelters. If they are full then a thru hiker must give up his/her space to the section hiker with a reservation. I honestly do not like these rules, but I am grateful that National Parks have rules.

A section hiker can still choose to tent if the shelter is full though, the rules are clear about your right to the spot but there sure won't be a ranger there forcing you to kick someone out. the end result is the same one more person sleeping outside so ultimately it doesn't make a difference who tents.

Mags
04-13-2016, 23:02

As an alumni of Catholic elementary school, that simply sounds wonderful.

..and since the OP started a thread in perhaps a more appropriate forum... The homilies over, the collection basket has been passed, the communion wafer has been passed out, the priest greeted us in the foyer and the macaroni and sausage is waiting at Grandma's house [1].

[1] Made Sunday mass more tolerable. Italian-American edition.

Dogwood
04-13-2016, 23:04
...almost no thru hikers travel at anywhere near that speed(daily avg mileage for GSMNP!)...

Agree......