PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a 5 day section in late June?

drastic_quench
04-14-2016, 22:50
I've only got a week, and I'd love to hike a scenic and memorable section of the AT. It doesn't strictly have to be 100% AT, as I'm open to looping back to my car if possible. If not, ideally I'd like to hike a section where I'd be able to book a shuttle back to my car.

My fitness level is excellent. I'm a runner and cyclist, so I'd be starting with decent trail legs and I'm not looking for low mileage or zero day excursions. Thanks.

rafe
04-14-2016, 23:03
2185 miles of trail, help us narrow it down a bit? By late June it can be hot anywhere on the trail. This year I think the mountains of NH and ME will be snow-free earlier than usual. Good compromise (fairly safe bet) would be the AT in Vermont (the southern portion of the Long Trail.) The Green Mountain Club can hook you up with shuttle services. GMC's online support is phenomenal. Weather or conditions permitting, the White Mountains are higher and more rugged, but harder to do as a linear hike without a lot of planning.

nsherry61
04-14-2016, 23:28
. . . the White Mountains are higher and more rugged, but harder to do as a linear hike without a lot of planning.
Why harder to do a linear hike with the AMC shuttle service running. And, you can plan some great loops in the Whites using the AT.

drastic_quench
04-14-2016, 23:33
Thanks. Yeah, I figured the more southern sections would be right out because of heat and scarce water. Otherwise I'm pretty wide open really. I know there's no perfect 5 day stretch, but I figured people might have a favorite they'd share.

daddytwosticks
04-15-2016, 07:14
Thanks. Yeah, I figured the more southern sections would be right out because of heat and scarce water. Otherwise I'm pretty wide open really. I know there's no perfect 5 day stretch, but I figured people might have a favorite they'd share.

Don't totally rule out the southern section. If you are at elevation, temperatures should not be too bad. :)

rafe
04-15-2016, 07:25
Why harder to do a linear hike with the AMC shuttle service running. And, you can plan some great loops in the Whites using the AT.

No doubt you could identify a lot of interesting loops in the White Mountains to do in a week, out of Lincoln Woods or any of a several dozen trailheads along the Kancamagus Hwy. or Rte. 302 or Rte. 16 or Rte. 49.

By linear hike I meant the AT, and the problem there is the occasional need to stay at AMC huts, at least between Rte. 93 and Rte. 16 (ie. Franconia and Pinkham.) You can avoid the huts by leaving the AT. Camping is much less of an issue off the AT, well off the summits and high ridges.

Another possibility for the OP is the Adirondacks in NY. Arguably rougher and wilder than the AT. Bear vaults required. Or the Catskills even. Mt. Marcy is 5343' tall, no slouch.

Hikingjim
04-15-2016, 08:06
You could look into NH sections that include the franconia ridge or part of the presidential mountains
The white mountains are many section and day hikers favorite parts of the trail. It tends to get quite busy though

drastic_quench
04-15-2016, 11:56
Any thoughts on Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap? Water availability? Shuttle recommendations?

rafe
04-15-2016, 13:53
Any thoughts on Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap? Water availability? Shuttle recommendations?

Would require shelter reservations.