PDA

View Full Version : Advice for upcoming New York trip

icebeard
04-16-2016, 17:17
Headed out soon to complete the New York AT. Experienced section hiker, I average 12-18 mile days in most terrain. Allowing myself 7 days to complete. Anyone familiar with the area feel this is an acceptable time frame? Also would appreciate any advice on camping, unreliable h20 sources, etc... Thanks everyone!!!!

rafe
04-16-2016, 17:37
It's pretty much par-for-the-course AT hiking, no huge verticals but plenty of ups & downs. The ridge above Greenwood Lake is very nice. Bear Mtn. Bridge is cool, nice views of the Hudson. I believe stealth camping is not allowed in this section but shelters are plentiful. RPH Shelter is pretty unique.

Feral Bill
04-16-2016, 20:55
If you stay at West Mountain Shelter (and you should, for the view down the Hudson to NYC) you'll need to tote a nights water supply up the hill with you. In Harriman State Park the rule is stay in or near shelters.

shelb
04-16-2016, 22:20
If you stay at West Mountain Shelter (and you should, for the view down the Hudson to NYC) you'll need to tote a nights water supply up the hill with you.

Thank you for this info!

OP: I think you may be fine with your timing... Maybe allow yourself an extra day if possible. My friend and I have been section-hiking each summer for about 100 miles, starting south of SNP. We usually plan on 8 days for 100- 110 miles. This year, we begin at Belvale?, NY. My Friend will get off the trail at border, but I will continue on to VT - completing 250 miles this trip.