PDA

View Full Version : Laundry taken from NOC dryer

agiasson
04-16-2016, 17:58
A warning and a shout out... a few hikers had all of their clothes taken out of a dryer at NOC, even a dry sack that was stuffed under a bench.

Anyone know or hear anything about this?

Happened today (4/16) sometime after 1 or 2 pm.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

lonehiker
04-17-2016, 01:28
I've always made it a practice to stay with my laundry. Use the time to journal, make grocery list etc.

Bronk
04-17-2016, 09:54
Nobody will steal dirty clothes. But once they come out of the washer and go into the dryer they become tempting to a would be thief. A good tip: if you put all of your clothes in a plastic trash bag before you put them into the washing machine they won't get wet. It saves the time and expense of putting them in the dryer.

wornoutboots
04-17-2016, 09:58
I've heard more & more of this in recent years? Take turns having at least one hiker stay with the clothes at all times.

TheWhiteWalker
04-17-2016, 11:20
A warning and a shout out... a few hikers had all of their clothes taken out of a dryer at NOC, even a dry sack that was stuffed under a bench.

Anyone know or hear anything about this?

Happened today (4/16) sometime after 1 or 2 pm.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up!

MuddyWaters
04-17-2016, 13:26
That sucks.
But typically my synthetic clothes ( pants, shirt, underwear, wool socks) are dry in 10 min or less. Why would anyone not wait? Trying to save $1 by drying a bunch of folks together just makes it take longer.

Christoph
04-17-2016, 13:30
I wait with mine or have a fellow hiker watch 'em. Usually we'll share a load and the expense. Nothing like paying 5 bucks to do 3 items and a few socks.

Bronk
04-17-2016, 14:28
As nasty as my clothes get while hiking I wouldn't want other hikers' nasty stuff mixed in with my laundry just to save a buck or two.

Jack Tarlin
04-17-2016, 21:39
People should be particularly careful when using laundromats in larger towns, like Pearisburg or Waynesboro. As a general rule, no one's gonna mess with your stuff when it's in the washer. Once it goes into the dryer, tho, you should find a chair and something to read, and stay there til it's done.