PDA

View Full Version : ZPacks Arc Blast or Haul Owners

DuneElliot
04-16-2016, 19:16
Once you have your pack set up in the configuration you prefer in regards to the arc of the carbon fiber frame do you leave it that way at all times, including while in storage and not being used, or do you relax the tension between trips and leave it straight and then re-tension it before the next trip?
I know very little about carbon fiber so don't know which is better, if there is a better choice! Any advice appreciated. Thanks

soumodeler
04-16-2016, 19:38
I release the tension on mine when not in use, and many times overnight while actually on trips. It is easier to unpack and pack it while the frame is not bent. It is super easy to tension and rarely does mine ever slip once I have it tensioned. I actually just got one of the new ArcHaul Zips with the round carbon stays, compared to the older flat stays and much prefer the round ones for ease of bending.

bigcranky
04-16-2016, 19:40
I relax it between trips. I don't know if that makes any difference, though.

The cord on my Arc Haul does slip on occasion, so I have to re-tension it every once in a while. So for me, there's no "perfect tension, leave it there forever" thing going on anyway.

I don't see a huge difference in the carrying feel of the pack when I make minor adjustments to the frame.

MuddyWaters
04-16-2016, 22:56
Dont worry about it

Cheyou
04-17-2016, 07:51
Ask zpacks

squeezebox
04-17-2016, 11:14
An engineer at Trek or Cervelo might know more about carbon fiber.

Vegan Packer
04-17-2016, 14:57
I only received mine in November, but I have left it with the arc since then in order to give it a test, and it still goes right back into straight position upon release. I guess that it could cause the attached fabric to degrade sooner, but I was just testing to see if it would permanently bend, etc., and it holds up perfectly.

mitch
04-21-2016, 21:18
I release between trips, Just to take some force off the fabric. I have wondered how hard it would be to brake a pole tensioning it, would cold increase the odds of braking one?

MuddyWaters
04-22-2016, 04:55
I release between trips, Just to take some force off the fabric. I have wondered how hard it would be to brake a pole tensioning it, would cold increase the odds of braking one?

Not sure how, but stays have been broken before by people .

DuneElliot
04-22-2016, 08:53
Not sure how, but stays have been broken before by people .

I does say on the ZPacks website that although carbon fiber is strong being bent, it doesn't handle shock well so I would suspect people have dropped their pack, set it down too hard or got it caught in a door or something.

MuddyWaters
04-22-2016, 10:13
I does say on the ZPacks website that although carbon fiber is strong being bent, it doesn't handle shock well so I would suspect people have dropped their pack, set it down too hard or got it caught in a door or something.

I know of one person that said he broke his while tensioning it. Apparently bent it too far. You have to bend it, then adjust the cord that holds it in place. Possibly it was nicked or defective. Joe replaced it.

soumodeler
04-22-2016, 10:17
The new round versions are supposed to be stronger than the flat ones. I think all packs since last July or August have the newer round stays. Taking my new ArcHaul Zip out today for a 9 day hike. Love the feel of the new hip belt and the pack carries 30 pounds like is isnt even there.

DuneElliot
04-22-2016, 10:22
The new round versions are supposed to be stronger than the flat ones. I think all packs since last July or August have the newer round stays. Taking my new ArcHaul Zip out today for a 9 day hike. Love the feel of the new hip belt and the pack carries 30 pounds like is isnt even there.

That's what I heard too. I don't actually bend mine to the recommended 2.5"...find it fits me better with 2 inches for some reason. I do like it though and can't wait for the snow to melt to get out and actually use it. If and when I wear this one out I would re-order with a custom back pocket rather than straight mesh.

DuneElliot
04-22-2016, 10:22
I know of one person that said he broke his while tensioning it. Apparently bent it too far. You have to bend it, then adjust the cord that holds it in place. Possibly it was nicked or defective. Joe replaced it.

This is what I like most about ZPacks...their customer service and commitment to quality and their products.

soumodeler
04-22-2016, 10:56
This is what I like most about ZPacks...their customer service and commitment to quality and their products.

Top notch customer service for sure. I have had nothing but amazing experiences with them. They are sometimes slow to respond, which is due to their volume and growing pains, but they will get you taken care of.

dgoggins
05-08-2016, 15:51
Hmm...I have one of the first built arc haul's...with flat stays. I bet Joe would replace it with the new round stays though I haven't had a problem yet, though I'm not sure it would be worth the shipping costs plus wait times.

Love zpacks....though, I just heard that they are now not taking custom orders due to the added complexity for their company....

soumodeler
05-08-2016, 18:38
Love zpacks....though, I just heard that they are now not taking custom orders due to the added complexity for their company....

They are still making some modifications, but not more complex ones. I had asked for 2 changes to my ArcHaul Zip, buckle straps on the bottom and adding a mesh pocket to the front. The straps they did but would not do the pocket for 2 reasons: it makes it harder to zip the pocket (fair enough) and that it would disrupt their manufacturing. This annoyed me a little, mainly because of the way it was phrased. By nature, modifications disrupt the normal manufacturing process. However, I realized that they had actually changed their slogan to Lighten Up instead of Custom Ultralight Gear. I guess they are trying to get away from the more complex modifications due to the volume of sales.

dgoggins
05-09-2016, 19:17
I totally don't blame them for downsizing their custom order taking. It takes a ton of time....just for emailing back and forth with them on what a customer wants done in the first place (I know from first hand experience of what I put Joe through with my emails).

Vegan Packer
05-10-2016, 17:52
They are still making some modifications, but not more complex ones. I had asked for 2 changes to my ArcHaul Zip, buckle straps on the bottom and adding a mesh pocket to the front. The straps they did but would not do the pocket for 2 reasons: it makes it harder to zip the pocket (fair enough) and that it would disrupt their manufacturing. This annoyed me a little, mainly because of the way it was phrased. By nature, modifications disrupt the normal manufacturing process. However, I realized that they had actually changed their slogan to Lighten Up instead of Custom Ultralight Gear. I guess they are trying to get away from the more complex modifications due to the volume of sales.

Maybe if you wait until the off season to ask for them to do the change?

soumodeler
05-10-2016, 17:59

"Off season" for Zpacks means "only" a 4 week wait time! :D

mountainman
05-10-2016, 18:22
I don't mess with mine, didn't know I should. Zpacks service is great I broke the rods when I fell on ice. the other was the rod pocket tore on airline.
I offered to pay for repairs, but they did it free. I have their pack, tent ,and sleeping bag. All three for less than 3lbs.

cmoulder
05-10-2016, 18:25

Very good suggestion.

I ordered my Arc Haul in July the first year they came out and was not annoyed in the least that it took a smidge over 10 weeks to get it. It is to be expected for a cottage operation. As usual, in the end it is totally worth the cost and the wait.

I use a short sleep pad and put the pack under my legs, so I always let the tension out of the frame rods at night... and also when storing between hikes.

poolskaterx
11-26-2016, 18:38
I am one of the few that broke a carbon flat. Zpacks sent me 2 replacements at NC and very quickly. I believe I broke the piece because I had already loaded my pack and tried to bow the stays with the pack already full. My Arc Zip is second hand and between the previous owner and myself I have countless nights and well over 1,000 miles. This is just my experience though.

I let the tension out overnight and when in storage.