PDA

View Full Version : # of 2016 thru hikers and ovecrowding

evyck da fleet
04-17-2016, 19:25
I just got back from my trailversary, which is Tuesday, hike. Four years ago I was hiker number 940 to leave AF. As of today over 1,500 NOBOs have already signed the visitor center log. In addition to the trail clubs, scout groups and local outdoor clubs there were plenty of people on the trail. That being said I didn't feel like the trail was overcrowded. There is still a LNT problem but at least I couldn't smell the Black Gap privy from the trail or the Stover Creek one from the blue blaze like four years ago.

scrabbler
04-17-2016, 20:57
I saw < 20 NOBO's "total" between Fri Noon and Sun noon as I was heading SOBO around Damascus. Seemed light to me.

saltysack
04-17-2016, 21:30
I have a friend who has a house in Wolf Laurel near big bald NC, he replaces the log book at the shelter as his property borders the AT near by. He said there's been droves of people passing thru....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malto
04-17-2016, 21:31
I saw < 20 NOBO's "total" between Fri Noon and Sun noon as I was heading SOBO around Damascus. Seemed light to me.

Thats good to hear. I will be hiking Erwin to Adkins Tuesday-Sunday next week and was thinking it would be less crowded than a couple weeks from now.

u.w.
04-17-2016, 22:26
Thats good to hear. I will be hiking Erwin to Adkins Tuesday-Sunday next week and was thinking it would be less crowded than a couple weeks from now.

I was up there a couple of weeks ago. Went from Watauga Lake, where the trail crosses 321, back up to Damascus and saw ten or more hikers a day. Admittedly only two days on trail, but more people than I thought I'd run into out there, in March. I have no doubts it will be a whole lot more crowed in a coming into May, as you mentioned.

u.w.

Busky2
04-18-2016, 11:13
I crossed while SOBO, three NOBOs thrus ... Indianan Jones and Yoda and a third they were just shy of NY a day ago, Indy was #12 to sign in this year and started Jan 21st I believe he said.

Greenlight
04-18-2016, 11:32
In the past month, I section hiked in the Smokies around Newfound Gap, and further up north in Maryland from I-70 south to Dahlgren Backpacking Camp near the Old South Mountain Inn. The Smokies were more crowded, but there were only two thru-hikers at our packed shelter. The rest were section hikers. You know Wild and A Walk in the Woods are driving up numbers, but my take is that the vast majority, whose only "why" was that they watched a movie and thought it would be fun, don't make it very far into Tennessee/NC...let alone Harpers Ferry, WV or Maine.

~Greenlight

BigO
04-18-2016, 12:22
Does anyone see the crime rate going up with the heaver crowds? New to the back packing world and really not sure what I'm getting into. But I'm starting to plan for a 2017 thur hike. Was a little nervous about being in the woods along but sounds like I won't have that problem.

rainydaykid
04-20-2016, 17:02
Does anyone see the crime rate going up with the heaver crowds? New to the back packing world and really not sure what I'm getting into. But I'm starting to plan for a 2017 thur hike. Was a little nervous about being in the woods along but sounds like I won't have that problem.

Carry a light sidearm like a Glock 26 and you should be good. I carried a Glock 19 for most of my 2010 thru, traded it in for a Ruger LCP .380 at Damascus because the Glock ended up being too heavy.

displacedbeatnik
04-20-2016, 17:09
Carry a light sidearm like a Glock 26 and you should be good. I carried a Glock 19 for most of my 2010 thru, traded it in for a Ruger LCP .380 at Damascus because the Glock ended up being too heavy.

Ha! Don't forget you can't carry the gun legally in some state parks along the way so you'll have to send it ahead in a bounce box and hope no criminals attack in the meantime.

egilbe
04-20-2016, 17:33
Need an FFL to ship firearms out of state. Or have someone with an FFL ship it to another FFL holder.

soumodeler
04-20-2016, 17:41
A gun is absolutely not needed on the AT. I am one of the first people to tell you to carry concealed in everyday life, but I see absolutely no need on the AT.

As for the legalities of carrying along the entire length of the AT, I wouldn't want to be caught with a gun in the extremely anti-gun northeast states like New Jersey and New York. Connecticut and Massachusetts are also opposed to you carrying a weapon for self defense.

Hoofit
04-20-2016, 17:41
Really?
would you recommend all 2,000 hikers carry a sidearm ?

Hoofit
04-20-2016, 17:43
Maybe we could all just carry a spear in the winter months so as to not disturb the Bears.........

rafe
04-20-2016, 17:59
Poison-tipped trekking poles.

rainydaykid
04-20-2016, 19:11
It was a joke. I never carried on my hikes. Never had a problem, either. Not that I see anything wrong with carrying one.

Lone Wolf
04-20-2016, 19:18
A gun is absolutely not needed on the AT.

neither are water filters, leki poles or bear canisters

4shot
04-20-2016, 19:43
neither are water filters, leki poles or bear canisters

I think the only necessities are decent footwear and a set of clothes, a sleeping bag, a buncha snickers and TP. Everything else is just luxuries or "nice to haves" iirc.

displacedbeatnik
04-20-2016, 20:38
I think the only necessities are decent footwear and a set of clothes, a sleeping bag, a buncha snickers and TP. Everything else is just luxuries or "nice to haves" iirc.

That sounds like a recipe for malnutrition and diarrhea to me. But each their own.

I too was joking about the gun. To each their own but totally not necessary.

twistwrist
04-21-2016, 18:20
Here's an article on Appalachian Trials describing the crowds.

http://appalachiantrials.com/how-crowded-is-the-appalachian-trail-really/

Traveler
04-22-2016, 08:13
My mental image of the southern sections of the AT over the past few years is that of Black Friday shopping crowds outside a Best Buy store offering a 70" TV at $200 for the first 12 people in the store. I'm sure its a lot different though, maybe like Black Friday at Walmart when the first 100 people get a 40" tv for $100.

Mags
04-22-2016, 13:25
Flip Flop hike. Cherry pick big sections to hike when the crowds are less. Hike a parallel trail to the AT interspersed with choice designated AT sections.

The AT is a wonderful and beautiful trail. The best to experience it may not be a traditional thru-hike.

displacedbeatnik
04-22-2016, 14:03
With all the fires this year, even traditionalists may end up flip flopping if they want to hike the whole trail.

smoovoperator
04-23-2016, 18:58
Wow, that seems like a lot of people . I am doing a SOBO section in virginia mid May. I assume, though, that a lot of thru hikers will be at trail days around then.

twistwrist
04-26-2016, 22:14
Check out my article on Appalachian Trials!

http://appalachiantrials.com/how-crowded-is-the-appalachian-trail-really/

Secondmouse
04-27-2016, 21:37
planning to start a section at the end of August. where will the bubble be then?..

rafe
04-27-2016, 22:02
planning to start a section at the end of August. where will the bubble be then?..

Anywhere from MA to Katahdin, or already finished. I've seen lots of thrus (both northbound and southbound) in Vermont in early/mid August.

LittleRock
04-28-2016, 08:06
Hiked from Pearisburg to Daleville in VA last week. Not many thrus had made it that far yet. Never saw more than 10 people on the trail in a day, and one day I didn't see anyone. The most company I had at night was 2 other hikers. All the thrus I talked to started before March 1st.

Traffic is probably starting to pick up in VA this week, though.

wornoutboots
04-28-2016, 08:55
I stayed in Cosby Knob shelter last Friday & there were 16 in the shelter, 1 hanging & 1 tenting, great group of respectful folks. Unfortunately NONE of them took my advise & hit the .6 mile side trail to Mt Cammerer fire tower & what a show they missed with the clouds breaking up & dancing all around!

wornoutboots
04-28-2016, 08:57
I forgot to mention that the night I was in Cosby, TRi-corner had 28 thru's in it. There's a large amount of hikers from NFG to Erwin right now.

Deacon
04-28-2016, 10:36

Some folks on here think TP isn't even necessary. Hope I don't get to near them. [emoji17]

PacDaddy
04-28-2016, 20:07
Leaving NOBO out of Springer on Monday May 9th for 9 days

Trail name Hundred Down

with my son Caesar and brother in law Dancing Bear

GScout
04-28-2016, 21:32
I did my first section hike last June, from Springer to Fontana Dam. The crowds were all over the place in GA but dissipated considerably in NC. The trail shakes people off like water off a wet dog!

hikernutcasey
05-02-2016, 09:46
Cooked some hot dogs and shuttled people to and from the trail at Hwy 52 / Bland yesterday. We had 26 thru-hikers come through between 10:00 and 4:00 in the afternoon. All but a couple were thru's. From what I've heard it's super crowded between Erwin and Damascus right now as well.

colorado_rob
05-02-2016, 10:00
sounds like this thread is about southern At trail stories/news, so I'll bite...

I just completed a 6-day 100 mile leg-stretcher section from Tye river up into northern SNP, fantastic conditions, April 17-22. I did have to shuttle around that fire, cost me $25 from a guy in Waynesboro.

I realize this is well ahead of most AT thru hikers, yet I was amazed at how many AT thru hikers I ran into! All in all about maybe 20 or so that all started at Springer in February, and I was going NOBO with the grain, so who knows how many more. The common stories from them was that for the most part they had remarkable weather, with only a couple days off due to weather. good for these folks! My guess is that since they made it roughly 900 miles and were still going strong, most of them would make it.

Trying to remember some trail names.... drawing mostly a blank.... "John Goodman", "Giggles", "Rabbit", "Tom", "????", mostly all 20-somethings.... shooting for late June/early July finishes. One couple stood out, planning on getting married on Katahdin when they finish, but were taking their time; they had started last November.

HooKooDooKu
05-02-2016, 11:07
...NONE of them took my advise & hit the .6 mile side trail to Mt Cammerer fire tower...
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
They must have been in a big hurry to get to Maine.
That's a "not to be missed" side trail (weather permitting).

capehiker
05-02-2016, 18:42
Trying to remember some trail names.... drawing mostly a blank.... "John Goodman", "Giggles", "Rabbit", "Tom", "????", mostly all 20-somethings.... shooting for late June/early July finishes. One couple stood out, planning on getting married on Katahdin when they finish, but were taking their time; they had started last November.

I'm following one who is hiking with "John Goodman" on YouTube. Another person who's in PA already is Ryan Johnson who has a great YouTube channel.

Malto
05-02-2016, 19:00
sounds like this thread is about southern At trail stories/news, so I'll bite...

I just completed a 6-day 100 mile leg-stretcher section from Tye river up into northern SNP, fantastic conditions, April 17-22. I did have to shuttle around that fire, cost me $25 from a guy in Waynesboro.

I realize this is well ahead of most AT thru hikers, yet I was amazed at how many AT thru hikers I ran into! All in all about maybe 20 or so that all started at Springer in February, and I was going NOBO with the grain, so who knows how many more. The common stories from them was that for the most part they had remarkable weather, with only a couple days off due to weather. good for these folks! My guess is that since they made it roughly 900 miles and were still going strong, most of them would make it.

I ran into 50 hikers in one day in the Damascus area and I was also going with the flow. One guy I talked to for a bit was on day 40 and had only been in the rain once. That's some great weather.

THEDON
05-02-2016, 20:34
Was at the PATC in Harpers Ferry picking up some maps last week Thurs. There were 4 thru hikers in the lounge. 2 started in mid Feb, 1 early Feb and 1 march 1st. Horrible with names so can't remember a single one. Ran into another one in The SNP at I64 bridge---2/23 start.

colorado_rob
05-02-2016, 22:07
I'm following one who is hiking with "John Goodman" on YouTube. Another person who's in PA already is Ryan Johnson who has a great YouTube channel. It was remarkable how much this guy looked like the actor.... but much skinnier and younger.

I thought of three other names; "Candle Maker", and the couple getting married on Katahdin are "Bonnie and Clyde". All great folks. In discussions with these early thru hikers, a common thread was that they started early this year to beat the expected record crowds. Worked out great for them.

wornoutboots
05-03-2016, 11:12
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
They must have been in a big hurry to get to Maine.
That's a "not to be missed" side trail (weather permitting).

Agreed!! That's what having to "keep up with the bubble" can do to you :-?

rafe
05-03-2016, 11:40
Agreed!! That's what having to "keep up with the bubble" can do to you :-?

Not so much keepin' up with the bubble as trying to get to Maine on time. Let's see how many side trails you do when your thru hike is underway. ;)

John B
05-03-2016, 11:43
Not so much keepin' up with the bubble as trying to get to Maine on time. Let's see how many side trails you do when your thru hike is underway. ;)

What year did you do your thru?

rafe
05-03-2016, 12:17
What year did you do your thru?

I section hiked over many years. Attempted thru in 1990, quit in VA. Finished in 2007.

John B
05-03-2016, 14:14
I section hiked over many years. Attempted thru in 1990, quit in VA. Finished in 2007.

For some reason, I had the impression that you'd done multiple thrus.

rafe
05-03-2016, 14:28
For some reason, I had the impression that you'd done multiple thrus.

Nope, not me. I've done the HMW a couple times, and other bits of the trail many times over. The White Mountains are just a couple hours away, that's where I do most of my hiking these days. Other (shorter) trails as well, eg. MA Mid-State, Long Trail, Grafton Loop, etc.

Jake2c
05-04-2016, 15:21
I am taking a break, started the end of February. Will hit the 900 mile mark in a few days when I get back on the trail. For the most part the numbers I have seen have been low. In the beginning I was almost always alone, even in shelters (which I avoid unless there is bad weather). Two nights ago I shared a shelter with one other guy on a stormy night. The next night, also stormy, we were at capacity (6). In one of the link stories above it shows a picture of a crowded camp sight. I believe I was there that day and it was unusually crowded but for the most part, especially if you stay at camp sights vs shelters, I get a fair amount of "alone" time. Not sure what it looks like behind me with the March and April bubbles.

Kayak
05-05-2016, 12:23
A gun is really not necessary. Plus where are you going to keep it where is is handy to get too? Keeping it from the environment, dirt and moisture can be an issue. I ran across a hiker carrying a gun. I asked him what caliber it was and why he was carrying it. He said it was a .22 and had it for the bears. I told him a .22 would only piss the bear off. He said the noise could scare off the bear. A .22 is not very loud.