PDA

View Full Version : 15% Cotton

skinnbones
04-18-2016, 08:20
I have a comfortable pair of long johns that are 85% polyester / 15% cotton. Still a bad choice because of the word cotton?

Starchild
04-18-2016, 09:20
Better than more cotton, worse than less cotton. I have a shirt I got from the huts in the whites that is 50-50, and it does do much better that a 100 cotton shirt. You will most likely do OK with it.

lonehiker
04-18-2016, 09:21
I only use my long johns as sleepwear so I wouldn't hesitate to use 15% cotton.

Spiffyguy
04-18-2016, 11:46
I prefer cotton for my sleeping clothes, or a light merino wool. Better than sleeping in synthetics.

Rain Man
04-18-2016, 14:17
That's not the only question. Got to know season and weather to fully answer you.

That said, I probably wouldn't hesitate to wear that blend.

Secondmouse
04-18-2016, 14:28
back in the dark ages, Duofold was a premier brand of insulating underwear and it was a cotton blend. I don't know the percentage of the blend but I've slept, hiked, hunted, and downhill skied in it and not experienced any negative issues.

of course, this was in the days of "waffle-weave" 100% cotton long-johns so the Duofold was a significant step up...

Feral Bill
04-18-2016, 14:37
back in the dark ages, Duofold was a premier brand of insulating underwear and it was a cotton blend. I don't know the percentage of the blend but I've slept, hiked, hunted, and downhill skied in it and not experienced any negative issues.

of course, this was in the days of "waffle-weave" 100% cotton long-johns so the Duofold was a significant step up... We used these in the Adirondacks and the Whites in the worst of winter weather. They were under plenty of wool and worked fine. The whole outfit did weigh a ton, though.

nsherry61
04-18-2016, 15:20
There is really nothing wrong with cotton, util it gets wet! So, 100% cotton will work fine if you have never needed to depend on it when it was wet. "Cotton kills" when it is wet. 15% cotton should only kill 15% when it is wet, so I wouldn't sweat it (pun intended). 85/15 poly/cotton blends dry pretty well and are more comfortable and less stinky than 100% poly. Probably not the best of the harshest environments, put nothing to get fussed about.

Xycon
04-18-2016, 15:33
Cotton isn't always bad. On really hot days you can use the slow drying properties of cotton to stay cool longer by wetting it in a stream.

Secondmouse
04-18-2016, 15:51
We used these in the Adirondacks and the Whites in the worst of winter weather. They were under plenty of wool and worked fine. The whole outfit did weigh a ton, though.

yeah and I bet you had bread bags over your socks too...

the cotton waffle weave underwear worked pretty well for its day but only as long as you were active. coming in from playing outside we always needed help to peel a drenched shirt over our head.

then came the first of the fishnet underwear. some people swore by it but it was never warm for me.

anyway, cotton that gets wet is a negative insulator. any percentage of cotton will retain moisture but it depends on how much you sweat and how wet your stuff gets if this is a problem. I've been soaked wearing poly too...

dudeijuststarted
04-18-2016, 16:16
it depends on whether you are okay with your legs being 15% colder

rocketsocks
04-18-2016, 16:25
Yes...............