PDA

View Full Version : Got a pulse ?- get a job in the whites

peakbagger
04-18-2016, 09:53
Its that time of year for the seasonal businesses in the Whites to ramp up hiring. There are far fewer high school and college kids available these days and the 2% unemployment rate in the state means that are lots of businesses looking for staff. Even if there were plenty of high school and college kids, the shift in seasonal traffic which now ramps up around May 15 runs through leaf season in early October so once the kids go back to school there is still 6 weeks to cover. There is foreign guest worker program but generally unless the guest workers have good English skills they get relegated to behind the scenes work.

Unfortunately few earn a living wage unless they work a couple of gigs and housing is expensive. At or around October 15th, the economy basically shuts down until ski season in late December if there is snow.

Sarcasm the elf
04-18-2016, 09:57
Twenty year old me would have jumped at this had he known about it. ;)

peakbagger
04-18-2016, 11:05
The good old days of folks sleeping in the back of their truck and working a summer gig in a popular outdoor area so they could hike/paddle in their spare time seems to be a thing of the past.

I

hikeandbike5
04-18-2016, 11:23
any specific links beyond a general heads-up?

also, i'm guessing most are at/near minimum wage jobs?