PDA

View Full Version : chemical water treatment

neo
12-27-2005, 07:33
polar pure or aqua mira or poable aqua,i have used polar pure for over 4 years and used potable aqua tabs for over 15 years before that,i made the switch to aqua mire a month ago:cool: neo

K-Man
12-27-2005, 09:28
I use polar pure, but it is starting to drive me nuts. The concentrated Iodine solution gets all over everything. This weekend I tried keeping it in a zip lock bag, but I still somehow managed to get Iodine on some things. Any Suggestions?

Two Speed
12-27-2005, 09:58
Used potable aqua for years, swapped to a filter, a Katadyn Mini, now using Aqua Mira when I'm trying to limit weight. Aqua Mira has some "whang" but ain't nearly as bad as potable aqua.

Seeker
12-27-2005, 12:33
Aqua Mira has some "whang" but ain't nearly as bad as potable aqua.

that's funny... i can't taste a thing, but my brother can... maybe it's genetic, like the people who can't taste the bitterness of brocolli, cauliflower, peas, beans, etc...

HikeLite
12-27-2005, 14:09
katadyn micropur mp1 tablets....the best in my opine

D'Artagnan
12-27-2005, 14:12
I like Aqua Mira and since I'm accustomed to municipal/county water I don't notice a big difference in the taste.

neo
12-27-2005, 14:59
i dont really notice a chemical taste with aqua mira:cool: neo

mbroadhe
12-28-2005, 17:55
Polar Pure. I think it is genetic. I had no problem with the taste of the water. My hiking partner, on the other hand, was always putting those single serve lemonade packets in his water. After the allotted time for disinfecting, of course. I do find the iodine solution does get all over the place, as stated above. Ziplock bag seemed to work good for me though.

neo
12-28-2005, 22:20
aqua mira is in the lead:cool: neo

hustler
12-30-2005, 00:41
bleach is the only way to go. Two drops per quart, wait 15 minutes or so and then drink. I got the info off the ATC site and recommend others do too. I heard long exposure to iodine is bad for your thyroid. If I wasn't a cheap skate I would probably use aqua mira though.

Peaks
12-30-2005, 10:49
bleach is the only way to go. Two drops per quart, wait 15 minutes or so and then drink. I got the info off the ATC site and recommend others do too. I heard long exposure to iodine is bad for your thyroid. If I wasn't a cheap skate I would probably use aqua mira though.

And I've heard that bleach does not kill all the coties either.