PDA

View Full Version : Missing Runner

DuneElliot
04-18-2016, 15:43
Anyone have any more information on this?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/vehicle-found-at-shenandoah-national-park-search-for-missing-woman-continues/2016/04/17/42cd8b7c-04c4-11e6-b283-e79d81c63c1b_story.html

"Family members speculated that Mittendorff might have been going out to train for a race. Shenandoah National Park, along the Blue Ridge Mountains, has an extensive trail network, including a stretch of the Appalachian Trail. The White Oak Canyon Trail runs near Skyline Drive and it is known for it waterfalls (http://www.hikingupward.com/SNP/WhiteOakCedarRun/)."

Studlintsean
04-18-2016, 16:10
Really sad. This is in a neighboring town and has been all over the local news. I hope she is safe and located soon.

chknfngrs
04-18-2016, 21:12
Hoping for a positive outcome

johnnybgood
04-18-2016, 21:30
With each passing day the search grows more dire. Overnight temperatures even in lower elev. have dipped into the thirties.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
04-19-2016, 18:54
Hey guys.

I actualy just spent time on the trail her car was found by and don't see how someone can vanish from it. Even on a wen, it is a very popular trail. Also, how does someone not tell someone where they are going? Especially there own husband....

anyway
just my two cents.

martinb
04-19-2016, 19:05
I saw this, sad. I don't think "foul play" is involved. I'm sure authorities are digging a little deeper into the marriage relationship.

SWODaddy
04-19-2016, 20:38
That is one of the busier parking lots.

chknfngrs
04-20-2016, 14:39
So little information makes it so suspicious. I wished we knew what happened

martinb
04-21-2016, 12:14
SO, found out she and the husband are "estranged" and not living together. He's got an alibi, though. She also apparently downloaded several large files (maps?) to her phone before she disappeared. Cops now have the files. I think she was afraid of the husband (or situation) and is running.

peakbagger
04-21-2016, 13:18
I hope this ends well

I am surprised the group of folks stirring up the lost hiker in Maine search haven't swooped down on this thread to tell the authorities what they are doing wrong. Of course they may just be waiting as hindsight is 20/20

chknfngrs
04-21-2016, 13:28
This is better than cable! Certainly hope she's alright, but if she did choose to fly the coop could she be posing as a thru hiker?

DuneElliot
04-21-2016, 13:31
This is better than cable! Certainly hope she's alright, but if she did choose to fly the coop could she be posing as a thru hiker?

Always a possibility which is one of the reasons I posted it here...thought maybe someone on the trail might have some insight that isn't in the news.

Studlintsean
04-21-2016, 17:30
http://www.wusa9.com/mb/news/local/search-for-missing-fairfax-county-firefighter-continues/147598614

Its not looking good.

Pedaling Fool
04-22-2016, 07:02
Suicide. I did not see that coming.

chknfngrs
04-22-2016, 07:14
Ugh. So sad.

DuneElliot
04-22-2016, 08:52
Wow, yeah, didn't see that outcome as a probability.

martinb
04-22-2016, 09:31
Wow, yeah, didn't see that outcome as a probability.

Neither did I, prayers for family. RIP.

rocketsocks
04-22-2016, 09:35
Seems to be a running theme amongst suicides and remote places.

saltysack
04-22-2016, 10:32
Terrible...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnybgood
04-22-2016, 11:17
Seems to be a running theme amongst suicides and remote places.

Tragic outcome indeed. We all have felt despair at some point in our life and want no one to see our pain.. Human nature I suppose.

My prayers go out to her family.

Pedaling Fool
04-26-2016, 07:06
http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-chief/articles/84158018-Va-firefighter-paramedic-found-dead-was-a-victim-of-bullying/

Excerpt:

WJLA.com (http://wjla.com/news/local/concern-that-fairfax-county-firefighter-found-dead-was-a-victim-of-bullying) reported that the news comes on the heels of concerns that she was a victim of bullying. Fire Chief Richard Bowers issued a statement regarding Nicole Mittendorff.

"I would like to take a minute to address the local web forum posts that so many of you have been discussing regarding firefighter Nicole Mittendorff. We at Fairfax Fire and Rescue are aware of the posts and are looking into the matter. I assure you that my department cannot and will not tolerate bullying of any kind. At this time, we are respecting the privacy of firefighter-paramedic Mittendorff's family, and providing support to the men and women of the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department who are grieving under these challenging circumstances. We will thoroughly investigate this matter and take any appropriate actions needed. However, right now we ask that we be allowed to grieve the loss of one of our own."

Pedaling Fool
04-26-2016, 07:15
Apparently, this bullying issue is a big thing in the Fire and EMS community...:-?

http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-chief/articles/84564018-Bullying-Fire-and-EMSs-tragedy-and-disgrace/

chknfngrs
04-26-2016, 07:26
Sad part is will likely never get all the information ourselves, just wild speculating. Bullying or not, terrible any way you slice it. And if anything, people are crazy beings.

Miel
04-26-2016, 07:44
My condolences to her loved ones. May her memory be a blessing.

ralph23
04-26-2016, 08:23
I was a professional Firefighter and Paramedic for 10 years in Maryland in two large jurisdictions. Bullying is, unfortunately, very frequent. The old guys in the department bully paramedics and new firefighters. Officers bully their employees. Try to say something and you get it even worse. The stories I could tell of being screamed at because an officer didn't like me, being awoken at 2 am to visit officers to mess with my sleep, watching senior firefighters make women cry on a regular basis, threats of physical abuse. Anger an officer get popped the next day for a "random" drug test. It's a terrible system.

KidA24
04-27-2016, 08:17
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/was-a-va-firefighter-humiliated-by-co-workers-online-before-she-killed-herself/2016/04/25/c444e426-0af9-11e6-8ab8-9ad050f76d7d_story.html

Don H
04-27-2016, 09:09
I was a professional Firefighter and Paramedic for 10 years in Maryland in two large jurisdictions. Bullying is, unfortunately, very frequent. The old guys in the department bully paramedics and new firefighters. Officers bully their employees. Try to say something and you get it even worse. The stories I could tell of being screamed at because an officer didn't like me, being awoken at 2 am to visit officers to mess with my sleep, watching senior firefighters make women cry on a regular basis, threats of physical abuse. Anger an officer get popped the next day for a "random" drug test. It's a terrible system.

Although this may have been your experience I don't believe it is the norm or even common behavior in fire departments.

I retired a few years ago after 28 years of service from the largest fire department in Maryland. I also worked 2 year in another department prior to coming to Maryland. I have to say I saw no bullying or harassment of employees by other employees; firefighters or line officers. Why would you harass someone who might have your life in his hands during your next call? I did see lots of practical jokes, good fun and goofing off, all a way to release stress from the job. It's a different job than most people can relate to, more like the military where everyone depends on everyone else. If someone is a thin skinned person who is offended by just about anything someone else says then they're not going to be happy in their job. The fire department I knew was a tight brotherhood with members truly caring for each other.

Being woke up at 2am just to talk with an officer, threats of physical abuse and abuse of the random drug testing policy would all be cause for a grievance being filed by your union. Then the officer would be in the trouble.

I did see awful harassment by reps of the administration, many resulted in lawsuits which cost the jurisdiction millions of dollars in settlements.

It appears that in this case an individual was harassing the firefighter online. In my department someone would have been fired for that. We'll see what happens in this case.

I also never saw random drug testing used against individuals as a form of harassment, and I had plenty of random drug tests over the years.

Studlintsean
04-27-2016, 10:14
I saw a pretty disturbing link yesterday regarding sexual harassment throughout Fairfax County Fire Stations. I am not going to directly link the information as it contains some pretty sickening information but it is available via the Fairfax underground forum. I sure hope quite a few people go down for this one.

And as Don stated, I hope (and believe) this type of bullying takes place on a case by case basis. I have utmost respect for most fire fighters as my brother is a firefighter (and member here).

Truly a sad situation.