PDA

View Full Version : About shelter setup

BenOnAdventures
04-18-2016, 22:15
Hey I hope everyone has been doing well! I was wondering if I could get some help on my six Moon designs Deschutes Plus.
1. It has a built-in bug skirt, I was thinking of getting the serenity inner bug net to go with it.
2. This is my first floor less shelter.
3. I know I need a ground sheet of some sort to go with it.
4. If I get this serenity do I still need a ground sheet to keep ground insects and snakes out?

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it! Have a great night and happy trails!

nsherry61
04-18-2016, 22:22
For what it's worth, most insects and snakes are not active at night, so it's really not much of an issue. Moisture is another issue however.

BenOnAdventures
04-18-2016, 22:24
Oh okay! Thank you I really appreciate it the input!

Cheyou
04-19-2016, 06:09
Just get a piece of window shrink film for a ground cloth. It should b on sale now that winter is over. If u place it on top of the bug netting It will be like a bath tub floor. I don't have the Plus but the tarp and shrink film, pegs fits in SMD stuff sack

BenOnAdventures
04-19-2016, 07:26
Yeah I have looked into that as well, thank you for the advice!

Stevep311
04-19-2016, 09:33
Hey I hope everyone has been doing well! I was wondering if I could get some help on my six Moon designs Deschutes Plus.
1. It has a built-in bug skirt, I was thinking of getting the serenity inner bug net to go with it.
4. If I get this serenity do I still need a ground sheet to keep ground insects and snakes out?

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it! Have a great night and happy trails!

Have you considered a cuben bathtub style groundsheet like Zpacks makes? They weigh approx 3 oz. In addition to being UL it would give some added protection against possible rain splash.

BenOnAdventures
04-19-2016, 11:06
I was thinking about CF but that can be so pricey.

Stevep311
04-19-2016, 11:42

Well, I just so happen to have one for sale.

Another Kevin
04-19-2016, 11:45
If money is a concern, use a Tyvek sheet. You can often find a suitable piece in the scrap bin at construction sites. If not, work out how much you need and order it from Dutch (http://www.makeyourgear.com/rolled-goods/tyvek/) at less than a buck a foot. I use a tent with a floor, but carry a piece of Tyvek cut to it anyway. It's multi-use:

Protective footprint if I'm pitching on something abrasive like sandstone.
Groundsheet for a fly-and-footprint pitch.
Door mat in the tent vestibule.
Groundsheet between me and the mouse turds at a shelter.
Bath mat so that I don't need to stand in a mudhole while taking a bucket bath.
Sit pad if there's nowhere dry to put my arse.

left52side
04-19-2016, 17:12
First off let me say that I have the deshutes plus and I love it...
As far as creepy crawlies I have found that like mentioned a piece of polycryo can form a bathtub type floor in the shelter keeping moisture out but also deterring pests away as well.if you choose to get a serenity net tent to go with it you wouldnt need anything unless you decided the floor was not strong enough for your liking(which it is).
I myself plan on just getting A floorless mosquito net (sea to summit has one super ultralight,i think like 1.8 ounces or something which is also floorless but then just resting my polycryo inside it bathtub style and forming a solid barrier.
I am only planning this in the warmer summer months so I can get more ventilation in my shelter and it isnt as much like an oven.
I am also considering just diy a mosquito net but looking at prices it isnt really a pocket breaker at all,under 50.00 and seen some as cheap as 12.00 (amazon friendly swede) but a little heavier.
Anyway thats my .02 enjoy your deshutes plus I mylself love mine and am excited for the skyskape trekker to come out next month .

handlebar
04-19-2016, 18:46
It appears this is the successor to the Wild Oasis which I carried on numerous hikes. I used a piece of tyvek to serve as a groundsheet. I shaped it like the footprint and made 2 inch bathtub sides using a grommet kit. Place it inside the shelter on top of the netting skirt. It was effective in keeping out the mosquito hoards attacking me on the CDT in the Winds and Yellowstone in 2012. The shelter also held up well to the freak 12+inch snow storm on the PA MidiState trail on April 24 a few years ago.

martinb
04-19-2016, 19:02

Get the inner. Ticks are active 24/7 in the summer. Without know the hydrostatic head to the inner's floor, hard to recommend a ground sheet but you could always buy some tyvek and cut it to fit the inside of the inner's floor. It will work better to kept water out as an inner liner.

Cheyou
04-19-2016, 19:49

Ha ha ha yah the Cubanfiber would cost more then the shelter . I never had any trouble with the shrink film $2. M

left52side
04-19-2016, 20:12
Ha ha ha yah the Cubanfiber would cost more then the shelter . I never had any trouble with the shrink film $2. M

+1 although when the pooch is with me on an overnight or something I will bring that heavy ol tyvek lol.
Seems to do better than the polycryo with the doggie.
It would be great if SMD did A deshutes plus in CF though.
I know they do the regular deshutes.

BenOnAdventures
04-19-2016, 20:14
First off let me say that I have the deshutes plus and I love it...
As far as creepy crawlies I have found that like mentioned a piece of polycryo can form a bathtub type floor in the shelter keeping moisture out but also deterring pests away as well.if you choose to get a serenity net tent to go with it you wouldnt need anything unless you decided the floor was not strong enough for your liking(which it is).
I myself plan on just getting A floorless mosquito net (sea to summit has one super ultralight,i think like 1.8 ounces or something which is also floorless but then just resting my polycryo inside it bathtub style and forming a solid barrier.
I am only planning this in the warmer summer months so I can get more ventilation in my shelter and it isnt as much like an oven.
I am also considering just diy a mosquito net but looking at prices it isnt really a pocket breaker at all,under 50.00 and seen some as cheap as 12.00 (amazon friendly swede) but a little heavier.
Anyway thats my .02 enjoy your deshutes plus I mylself love mine and am excited for the skyskape trekker to come out next month .

Awesome! Thanks for the advice and input, it's much appreciated.

BenOnAdventures
04-19-2016, 20:16
All of you are great, I really appreciate the helpful advice and insight. Have a good night everyone!