PDA

View Full Version : injuries

john muir
04-18-2016, 23:00
injured on the first day.....hey everyone MUIR here. so i made the attempt. starter on 04/11/2016 got barely 10 miles in and injured my knee, didst even get to camp one night. anyone else have there dream trip ended early?:(

skinnbones
04-18-2016, 23:07
Wow, that's horrible. The trail will still be there next April.

nsherry61
04-18-2016, 23:12
Wow, that's horrible. The trail will still be there next April.
It will also be there next month. Maybe your body is telling you that you need to build up your mileage more slowly. But, surely it isn't telling you to stop all together for the whole season. Give yourself some time to recover. Reassess your hiking style. And never give up.

Pedaling Fool
04-19-2016, 06:16
How did you injure your knee?

saltysack
04-19-2016, 06:40
How heavy are you? Heavy pack? Use trekking poles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigfoot86
04-19-2016, 08:03
Man that sucks ive was doing a section hike last year and on day two injured my ankle. I know how it feels.

swisscross
04-19-2016, 13:54
I feel your pain.
For some reason my body has been injury prone my entire life.
Worse and more frequent as I have aged.

I have come home with pains (one pretty bad that took a few months to fully recover) on my last three hikes.
Hip flexor, knee and lower back/hip.

Being a computer jockey for work, being somewhat overweigh and out of shape is not a good combo.

Due to my history of injuries I will never attempt a thru.
I will just keep kicking the dirt one week at a time, several times a year.

Good luck with your recovery.

dudeijuststarted
04-19-2016, 14:13
it happens to the best of us. i saw alot of people have to get off for chronic blistering early in their hike. its just life's way of telling you to go back to the drawing board. "if at first you don't succeed..."

TwoSpirits
04-19-2016, 14:47
Attempted a SOBO thru in 2014. My first day in the HMW, I tripped over my own stupid feet up on Rainbow Ledges, fell and smashed my knee. Took a couple of zeros trying to nurse it, and limped along a couple of very slow and painful days, but after I finally had to admit to myself that it wasn't getting any better -- and the terrain would be harder as I moved south toward Monson. Had to bail out before I even made it 50 miles. I was disappointed, to say the very least.

I will probably never thru hike, but I do plan on getting back to Maine sometime soon so that I can at least complete the HMW. It was incredibly beautiful.