PDA

View Full Version : Water situation in NY

icebeard
04-19-2016, 07:51
Hiking all of New York here very soon, does anyone know how well the springs/water sources are flowing? Any "dry" areas I need to be aware of? Thanks!

Busky2
04-19-2016, 08:03
Well for what it is worth I just did all of NJ in the last week and water was good at all sources including those marked iffy in AWOLs guide.

rafe
04-19-2016, 08:40
Right now things should be OK, I'd guess. Just basing that on conditions in MA and NH. Come June or July, who knows?

Relatively few water issues in this section of trail, as I recall.

linus72
04-19-2016, 09:42
Did 2 section hikes in central NY in the last month. And doing another 10 miles of it next weekend. The few miles on the New York side on top of Schaghticoke Mtn in section 1 had many strong water sources...skipping down to the other side of the hudson (did the rest of ny to the hudson last year) From Bear Mountain summit south to 7 lakes drive I don't recall any water sources other than a small pond rife with peeper activity. I will be doing from there to Tiorati circle next weekend and will report on those 10 miles then. HIstorically there's no reliable water up and over west mountain so plan on packing extra water if staying there... From Tiorati south to Elk Pen, there was a good running brook near surebridge Mtn last weekend (surebridge brook?) and a few smaller streams that could provide water. There is a small brook still running below Fingerboard shelter. But usually seasonal sources can dry up in the heat of summer. I found most of northern ny trail sources to be dry last year. if you have an older guide the house with the spigot near dover oak is no longer a water source though there was a small spring in a swampy area just south of dover road.

JohnThe Snail
04-19-2016, 20:17
Just did from Wawayanda State Park to 17A this past weekend, and there was plenty of water at all of AWOL's sources, plus some other unnamed ones.

Starchild
04-19-2016, 21:39
All deli's are open and selling water in NY ;)

Really should be fine, everything is wet.

HDLV
04-19-2016, 22:30
Was out in Harriman last weekend, no issues and that park is usually the first to go dry. Depending on how soon you start you may be joining us for caterpillar season!