PDA

View Full Version : Gatlinburg

HikeGalPA
04-19-2016, 18:29
Is there any type of shuttle service between Newfound Gap and Gatlinburg?? I would like to find a way to get into town for a night. Ideas? Thanks

Lone Wolf
04-19-2016, 18:40
hitch hiking is easy. i've done it many times

HooKooDooKu
04-20-2016, 00:05
If you want a reliable shuttle service, try:
A Walk In The Woods (http://www.awalkinthewoods.com/pages/wd_shuttle.htm)
AAA Hiker Services (http://www.aaahikerservice.com/SHUTTLE.html)
I've used and recommend both.
However, I would expect a cost of around $50 (+/-) which means about $100 round trip.
During Thru-Hiker Season, there's usually several who are familiar with the thru hikers and will provide a lift. I've done so myself when I saw a crowd of hikers in Gatlinburg looking for rides back to New Found Gap.

Trance
04-20-2016, 09:19
Seriously.... just thumb a ride.

I had someone offer me a ride when I sat down for a drink after coming up over the hill to Newfound. Don't pay..... there's only one way down into Gatlinburg from there and it's Newfound Gap.... everyone is going that way and people will take you for FREE.

DONT PAY.

wornoutboots
04-20-2016, 09:49
One of the easiest hitches on the trail is at New Found Gap, thumb normally not needed ;)

TNhiker
04-20-2016, 13:26
yes......as much as i like a walk in the woods (and am friends with them), newfound gap going into town is an incredibly easy hitch...

and the ride going up, can also be easy......

just position yourself near the visitors center along newfound gap road, and have patience, and someone will pick ya up....

Greenlight
04-20-2016, 13:52
A Walk in the Woods is a great company, and if you want to use their services, call them now and get on the schedule to make sure you have a ride from them. I agree with TNhiker - it isn't hard to get from Newfound Gap into town because the GSR is crawling with people going up and down the mountains. Patience should score you a ride. Money will guarantee it.

yes......as much as i like a walk in the woods (and am friends with them), newfound gap going into town is an incredibly easy hitch...

just position yourself near the visitors center along newfound gap road, and have patience, and someone will pick ya up....

Greenlight
04-20-2016, 13:53
Typo on GSR = GSM Great Smoky Mountains

George
04-20-2016, 18:10
, thumb normally not needed ;)

not legal either, in the park - talking your way into a ride may be iffy, but is certainly commonplace and have never heard of an issue

George
04-20-2016, 18:11

before the entrance sign to be legal

HooKooDooKu
04-20-2016, 18:32
not legal either, in the park - talking your way into a ride may be iffy, but is certainly commonplace and have never heard of an issue
Section 4.31 in the Compendium of rules and regulations for GSMNP (https://www.nps.gov/grsm/learn/management/upload/2014-Compendium-all.pdf) specifically allows hitchhiking "for the purpose of hiking a park trail" so long as it is not creating a traffic hazard.

TNhiker
04-20-2016, 19:12
yup...

hitchhiking is very legal in the park......

i have waved to many a ranger while on the side of the road thumbing for a ride.....

MuddyWaters
04-20-2016, 20:22
Section 4.31 in the Compendium of rules and regulations for GSMNP (https://www.nps.gov/grsm/learn/management/upload/2014-Compendium-all.pdf) specifically allows hitchhiking "for the purpose of hiking a park trail" so long as it is not creating a traffic hazard.

And hitchhiking to gatlinburg fits into the above how?

Hang around NFG, people will ask what your doing.
Those people are going to eitheq gatlinburg or cherokee.
Just ask for a ride.

TNhiker
04-20-2016, 20:47
And hitchhiking to gatlinburg fits into the above how?

hookoodooku was responding with the compendium rules as another person in the thread was suggesting that hitchhiking in the park was not legal.....

so thats how it fits in----pointing out it is perfectly legal to hitchhike in the park.....

wornoutboots
05-03-2016, 11:16
Funny, the last time I hitched in the Smokies it was raining hard & a park ranger picked me up & dropped me off at Sugarlands & told me to catch the trolley from there into town because "he wan't really supposed to pick up people" good dude!

illabelle
05-03-2016, 12:09
If you want a reliable shuttle service, try:
A Walk In The Woods (http://www.awalkinthewoods.com/pages/wd_shuttle.htm)
AAA Hiker Services (http://www.aaahikerservice.com/SHUTTLE.html)
I've used and recommend both.
However, I would expect a cost of around $50 (+/-) which means about $100 round trip.
During Thru-Hiker Season, there's usually several who are familiar with the thru hikers and will provide a lift. I've done so myself when I saw a crowd of hikers in Gatlinburg looking for rides back to New Found Gap.

We don't normally go into Gatlinburg, just use the bypass to get to the Park. If we wanted to offer rides to NFG, where in G'burg would we find people needing a ride? Is there a spot or two where they gather?

HooKooDooKu
05-03-2016, 13:20
We don't normally go into Gatlinburg, just use the bypass to get to the Park. If we wanted to offer rides to NFG, where in G'burg would we find people needing a ride? Is there a spot or two where they gather?
At the last Gatlinburg traffic light as you enter the park.

If they are actively trying to thumb a right, they should be near the Marathon Gas station or 'Old Dad's General Store' because these businesses are on the right side of the road for vehicles heading into the park.

You might also find some milling around the NOC-Gatlinburg across the street.

TNhiker
05-03-2016, 14:59
along with those places------often at the split of the roads where sugarland visitors center is, people stand there for hitching......

Pots
05-05-2016, 09:02

You have to do it past the last light in town, you aren't allowed to hitch inside town.