PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Rocket users

wdelong
12-27-2005, 12:14
For those of you who have Pocket Rocket cannister stoves - do you find a wind screen is needed and if so, what kind of screen do you find most effective (and easy to use and carry)? Thanks :) .

Transcriber

OhCanada
12-27-2005, 12:17
Haven't used my Pocket Rocket yet but they caution against using a windscreen for canister stoves so I'd like to know about this too.

gsingjane
12-27-2005, 12:39
I have used the Pocket Rocket under varying conditions without a windscreen, although if it is very windy I might try to use it near a rock or some other natural windbreak, or maybe near a pack just to cut the wind a little bit. But I do think the cannister can get too hot if you are using it with a foil or other windscreen and I would hesitate to do so.

Jane in CT

Jaybird
12-27-2005, 12:46
For those of you who have Pocket Rocket cannister stoves - do you find a wind screen is needed and if so, what kind of screen do you find most effective (and easy to use and carry)? Thanks :) .
Transcriber

NEVER used a wind screen with my MSR POCKET ROCKET.
i sit in front of it...& it boils soooooo fast....its just NOT needed!
i've used mine for over 3 years now....never had any probs. :D

Lone Wolf
12-27-2005, 12:49
DO NOT use a wind screen with a pocket Rocket. You'll blow the sumbitch up!:eek:

bulldog49
12-27-2005, 12:50
A wind screen will greatly improve fuel efficiencey. Just leave about 1/4 of the cannister facing away from the wind uncovered by the wind screen. I've been doing this with ny cannister stove and never had a problem.

wdelong
12-27-2005, 13:19
Thanks for the info! I am aware that you don't completely surround a canister with a screen, but I was wondering if some sort of 3-sided screen would be helpful, and if so what material works? I have thought of cutting some of that thin sheet metal with it open about 1/4 of the way around the bottom and coming together at about the flame area to join so it would stand up and also provide wind block where it is most needed. I think it would be a rather large piece and would rather not carry it if I can do fairly well without.
Transcriber

bulldog49
12-27-2005, 13:48
I use the wind screen that came with my white gas stove or this one I bought from Campmor.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13520&memberId=12500226

Panzer1
12-27-2005, 14:34
I never used a proper windscreen with my pocket rocket. I just places objects like rosck or whatever was handy in the path of the wind. Worked for me.

I always thought this was one of the best stoves you could get fot the AT. At 3 ounces, you get a high performance stove.

Panzer

Footslogger
12-27-2005, 15:10
We use our pocket rocket for winter camping and always use a wind screen. You need to be a bit careful though because the heat build up at the base of the stove can get excessive. What I do is to make a "U" or "C" shape with the windscreen and leave a 2 - 3" area open at the opposite end of the wind direction. That allows for adequate heat release and still prevents the wind from disturbing the flame under the cookpot.

'Slogger

Patrick
12-27-2005, 15:16
Try a kite screen. Simple, very low volume, very light, and easy to make yourself. I've used mine with sticks but you can also carry something. No danger at all of overheating your canister. I'm actually surprised these aren't more popular. There's also a lot of potential for making them multi-use.

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/KiteScreen/index.html

Panzer1
12-27-2005, 16:55

Good web site to bookmark.

Panzer

LostInSpace
12-27-2005, 17:04
Try a kite screen. Simple, very low volume, very light, and easy to make yourself. I've used mine with sticks but you can also carry something. No danger at all of overheating your canister. I'm actually surprised these aren't more popular. There's also a lot of potential for making them multi-use.

I made one of these to use with my Pocket Rocket, although I made it with house-wrap Tyvek. It works great. I use my hiking poles in the slot in each end to support it and usually find a small tree to serve as the middle support. I usually do not enclose the stove completely. I found that a vee shape works well enough.

little bear
12-27-2005, 17:51
I have had my pocket rocket for about 3 years and have never used a wind screen and have never had a problem. The pocket rocket is a great stove and boils water so fast and doesnt use a lot of gas. You will be fine without a wind screen.

Happy Hikes
Little Bear

bugbomb
12-29-2005, 11:15
Also, check out this windscreen idea for a way to hold in the heat without worrying about the canister overheating. I've found that the windscreen reduces boil times substantially in the wind.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00041.html

Just Jeff
12-29-2005, 11:35
That's a great design.

OTOH, with a full windscreen (C-shaped, but reaching all the way to the ground), you can regulate the amount of heat reflected back at the cannister. This is good in cold temps because it keeps the pressure up inside the cannister. Just don't get it too hot, obviously...kaboom!

Tinker
12-29-2005, 13:06
Here's one that works and won't overheat your stove (of course it won't keep your cannister warm in cold weather, either).

http://community.webshots.com/photo/262789881/281041771sGoDGm

neo
12-29-2005, 14:06
i just try to keep mine out of the wind.:cool: neo

fiddlehead
12-31-2005, 08:22
Of course you'll save fuel if you use a windscreen. I buy those throw away aluminum broiler pans in the supermarket, fold them to the desired shape and duct tape the edges. They last about one thru hike that way. I'm cheap and don't like to carry extra anything so i conserve my fuel and figure i'm doing it right if i run out the day before each mail drop that has another fuel container in it.

Lucy Lulu
12-31-2005, 14:52
I switched from alcohol to a Pocket Rocket in Hot Springs, and never looked back. A fantastic little stove, and I never needed a wind screen. I could usually find something to block the wind while I cooked.

beartrack1
01-02-2006, 00:44
Don't take the foolish chance of exploding your stove right in front of you by surrounding it with a wind screen of any type. You're asking for trouble if you do it!. That's why MSR designed the WINDPRO stove which is an IsoPro fuel burning stove but the burner is remoted from the canister to allow it to sit low to the ground and allow you to wrap a wind screen around it and not over heat the canister. If you have trouble with your canister on cold mornings, don't try to heat it by using a wind screen, just set it in a shallow pan of water, such as a pie pan or dinner plate, and that will help warm the canister once it gets going and make it much more efficient in cold weather.