PDA

View Full Version : Any hikers from the UK here?

Oppenheimer
04-20-2016, 11:45
Hi all. Live in South West England, wondering if anyone was too? Trips, meet ups etc

<3

Oppenheimer

handlebar
04-20-2016, 17:57
The British Redcoat and his wife are doing a chunk northbound.

Hoofit
04-20-2016, 18:18
Expat from Solihull, West Midlands....
May catch up with you later in the year, mid July, as I attempt to complete the trail from New York State northbound.
Best of luck with it!
Bring your own tea bags, American tea sucks!

Miel
04-20-2016, 19:04

That's because we threw all of yours in Boston Harbor.

Oppenheimer
04-21-2016, 04:44
That's because we threw all of yours in Boston Harbor.

I've never had american tea so I couldn't judge.

DuneElliot
04-21-2016, 09:00
Expat from Solihull, West Midlands....
May catch up with you later in the year, mid July, as I attempt to complete the trail from New York State northbound.
Best of luck with it!

You can get Tetley in most grocery stores...even here in rural Wyoming! I don't think my parents would survive without it.

English Detective
04-21-2016, 11:07
I live in Somerset and would be interest to know how you traveled to the AT

Miel
04-21-2016, 11:21

After I do my thru, I plan to replicate John Hillaby's trip that he documented in the wonderful book "A Walk Through Britain."

(I love your part of the island. One of my degrees is in medieval Celtic Studies, with a concentration on the Celtic British.)

Your own thread has some nice ideas. For those who haven't seen it yet:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/118251-Travel-to-and-from

DuneElliot
04-21-2016, 12:04
While I love the US for it's wide open wild spaces, I miss the UK for public bridleways and hiking paths just about everywhere...always easy to take a short 2-3 mile walk at lunch by the river, or through the fields. Not so much here!

Oppenheimer
04-21-2016, 17:55

I'm looking to go, this was more a thing of trying to find people in the UK than on the actual trail. Plan is from my hometown to Atlanta at the moment, whether that changes is another story

romanic666
04-22-2016, 03:40
I live in Ireland but regularly do uk hikes. Just finished wainwrights coast to coast across England that was my favourite so far. Hoping to do the south west coastal path starting in may

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Oppenheimer
04-22-2016, 05:17
You see, I want to hike a lot but it's just finding people to with either my friends have different vacation days than me or they're not interested/busy.. :'(

romanic666
04-22-2016, 07:59
Yeah I have my brother and two friends I hike with in UK but if there busy or I'm hiking in Ireland I just hike on my own. I'm happy with my own company and its nice starting and finishing etc when I want to. Having said that it's allways nicer to hike with friends

Oppenheimer
04-22-2016, 14:42
Yeah I have my brother and two friends I hike with in UK but if there busy or I'm hiking in Ireland I just hike on my own. I'm happy with my own company and its nice starting and finishing etc when I want to. Having said that it's allways nicer to hike with friends

Totally agree, hence why I started this to potentially find more people to hike with and a trail buddy/partner for the AT.. Hopeful, but worth a shot at least. I finally decided on my trail name too.. :D

JEgestad
06-21-2016, 01:19
From Denmark, but will start in the end of March, got visa and all done, so just counting down to I get off from work in 277 days :)

Thinking of flying to New York as its so expensive to book flights to Atlanta and then take train or greyhound to Atlanta

Goingforalittlewalk
12-11-2017, 21:11
I know it's an old post! But I'm wondering who else is going March / April 2018. .and how you're getting from A2B etc..

JEgestad
12-21-2017, 16:57
Going again this year, but will take a plane from Copenhagen to New York and from there to Atlanta

Will the stay in Atlanta at a random motel near Sandy Springs as I will do supply and all that there

Then take an Uber or something next morning to Amicalola

Will go from Denmark the 28. March and start in Amicalola the 30 March

El JP
12-24-2017, 07:47
From Denmark, but will start in the end of March, got visa and all done, so just counting down to I get off from work in 277 days :)

Thinking of flying to New York as its so expensive to book flights to Atlanta and then take train or greyhound to Atlanta

Take the train.

I have multiple cross country Greyhound trip experience and I've done Amtrak twice from Virginia to NYC after seasons working in Shenandoah NP. The train is an absolute joy compared to the bus.

You can also take the train all the way to Gainesville and be that much closer to Springer.