PDA

View Full Version : The Captains Place - North of Pearisburg VA

Gambit McCrae
04-20-2016, 11:45
It this place still open? My next trip falls on this place as a good camping spot mile marker wise. Any good to know things about the Captains Place? Dog Friendly? Costs?

hikernutcasey
04-20-2016, 12:23
It this place still open? My next trip falls on this place as a good camping spot mile marker wise. Any good to know things about the Captains Place? Dog Friendly? Costs?I have been following some journals this year and some of them stopped in at the Captains. I know he doesn't charge and keeps a fridge full of drinks on his porch for thru hikers but I'm not sure about section hikers.

You have to ride the zip line pulley system across the creek to get to his property in case you didn't know.

ratfaceraines
04-20-2016, 22:03
I strongly believe the captain does differentiate between section or thru-hiker. Info for the captains' can be found in AWOL's guide. More info call me @540-921-7433(RIDE)/shuttle

SWODaddy
04-21-2016, 05:11
Wife and I spent the night there on a section in August...he was a very gracious host. He does have (two?) dogs with free roam of his yard so I don't know bringing pets is a good idea. Trying to bring one across the zip line would be precarious IMO and I wouldn't want to try fording their either.

soilman
04-21-2016, 06:37
Saw on Facebook the other day that the Captain is now part of the AT passport.

4shot
04-21-2016, 06:48
Saw on Facebook the other day that the Captain is now part of the AT passport.

soilman, not to sidetrack this but what is an "AT passport"??? Never heard this term before. We walked it without one...was that illegal??;)

Don H
04-21-2016, 07:31
soilman, not to sidetrack this but what is an "AT passport"??? Never heard this term before. We walked it without one...was that illegal??;)

Good think you didn't get caught by a ridge runner, they'll deport you and send you home ;)

http://www.atpassport.com

misterfloyd
04-21-2016, 07:32
Went to visit the captain last year. Lots of fun getting a zipline with a pack over a river.

Never met the man. Got there in the evening and left in the morning. Open area to pitch tents. Picnic table. Pretty clean area abliet the few tp blooms near the river.

Anyone who opens thier yard to the masses is very cool in my book.

wish I could have meet him to say thanks.

Floyd

soilman
04-21-2016, 10:55
check out their webpage. I think it started a year or two ago.
http://atpassport.com/

Sandy of PA
04-21-2016, 12:21
I have met the Captain, and he does not care if you are a thru-hiker or not. He is a wonderful caring person that supports the trail in many ways. He does a hiker feed weekend, two weeks after trail days, best time to meet him!

V Eight
04-22-2016, 14:35
There is a fine camp site on the trail, big enough for maybe 3 tents or hangers 40/50 feet past (North) zip line. When you see the zip line, you will see what might look like some long forgotten road or wide path baring to the right again north bound. On of my favorite legal spots in VA. I hope to time it right on my next hike, which begins tomorrow north from Pearisburg going north till Tuesday after noon.

Never been to the Captain's, but everyone that has ever spoke about him great guy.

JEBjr
04-24-2016, 11:01
The Captain's yard is open as long as it is safe to cross the zip line. Pretty sure he is enjoy retirement - golf, grandkids, fishingn etc more these days. He is an old section hiker himself, so section hikers are most certainly welcome.

His big hiker feed is Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.

Last time I was there he had 2 dogs that are inside of an invisable fence. They can't get to the zipline area if there shock collar is on.

LittleRock
04-25-2016, 15:52
Yep just walked past The Captain's last week. There's a sign for it right on the trail - can't miss it. Wasn't good for me mileage-wise but the thru-hikers I talked to loved it.

Apparently you just zip line (with your pack!) across the river and camp in his yard. No need to pay him anything or even say hello.

Studlintsean
12-21-2016, 22:15
Gambit- did you end up dropping by here?

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a large dog across the water? If so, does anyone know if he lets people park there and shuttle? Thinking about leaving a car in that area next week while do a few nights on the trail. I'll have my 11 year old dog so miles will be limited and this is a good middle point to break up a section hike if needed.

Thanks in advance.

ratfaceraines
12-22-2016, 03:18
It's possible to ford the creek, when water level is low. You can walk around the creek, by traveling up state road 635. Parking is available, both north and south of the captains' on 635. Keep in mind the captains' two dogs(one is very territorial/aggressive toward other dogs), but the dog's are contained by underground electric fence. If you need further info/shuttle feel free to call anytime@540-921-7433

Gambit McCrae
12-22-2016, 08:19
It's possible to ford the creek, when water level is low. You can walk around the creek, by traveling up state road 635. Parking is available, both north and south of the captains' on 635. Keep in mind the captains' two dogs(one is very territorial/aggressive toward other dogs), but the dog's are contained by underground electric fence. If you need further info/shuttle feel free to call anytime@540-921-7433

All good info by Don, I would suggest parking about 1 mile down from the captains place, If it were to rain a lot I could see that creek getting up to a point where you would not want your elder dog crossing it. As well, The Captain is a very nice guy, but he does make it very clear that his place is not a hostel, not a shuttle service etc etc. it is a open invitation to tent in his side yard, to grab a cold coke out of the porch fridge and have a fire. There is no cell service fyi.

Now 1 mile down the trail there is a very nice large bridge that I believe has parking HERE (http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/at_VAsection32/ATPictures.aspx)

Studlintsean
12-22-2016, 09:24

Thanks Don. I assume it's safe to leave a car parked on 635?

ratfaceraines
12-22-2016, 13:28
635 is a paved/marked state road. Stoney creek runs parallel to the road, with pull-offs on the road for fisherman and hunters. There are private homes in the area surrounding your parking options.

Gambit McCrae
12-22-2016, 13:56
How you doin Ron!

pilgrimskywheel
12-22-2016, 16:01
As reflected in Awol's guide the Captain's is NOT a hostel. I've camped with him several times, caught one of his famous parties, and during my 2012 NOBO redux (hiking VA again) he had my partner "Berries" and I in for supper and a warm up as it was November - I remember as it was the day after Obama's 2nd. election. He's a great guy and a real Trail Angel. (Refuses to accept donations.) The trail comes out a little way north up trail like a 1/4 mi. to the road, and you can walk back down to the yard if you don't want to cross on the famous zip-line. The yard and back porch are open to hikers, but the house off limits and by invitation only. A word of warning: winter camping in the yard though free is uncomfortably cold and damp - it's a foggy creek bottom. The shelter just before his place Pine Swamp Branch Shelter at NOBO Mi. 654.1 has a working FIREPLACE in it! While I strongly advise meeting the often absent captain, I'd strongly advise the roof and fire of the nearby shelter. Bailey gap is up-trail at NOBO Mi. 658.0 just a little ways on and compared to Pine Swamp Branch is a shabby little affair which though it shows it big enough for 6 is in reality only large enough for 4 comfortably. Happy hiking!