PDA

View Full Version : Roan and Grayson Highlands - June or July

macaronijones
04-20-2016, 13:27
Hi there, I'm planning to spend a couple of weeks this summer hiking on the AT roughly between Hot Springs and Mt. Rogers to take in both the Grayson and Roan highlands. I'm in the very beginning stages of planning, and I'm first trying to get my time frame worked out. I'm thinking I may do a two week trip between Hot Springs and Damascus, and then a separate one week trip between Partnership shelter and Damascus.

I can take either the month of June or July off to do these trips. I would rather do June due mainly to heat, but my issue is my schedule in June is more chopped up due to weddings and other stuff on the schedule. I could work around it, but July is much more open.

So my question is what month would yall recommend for me, and why? Will temperatures be much different at those altitudes (I'm used to piedmont NC temps)? How about water availability, something to think about or no significant difference? Crowds? Anything else I'm not thinking about?

Cheers

TNhiker
04-20-2016, 13:38
i would go in mid to late june to see the azaleas blooming....

fire on the mountain...

hikernutcasey
04-20-2016, 13:40
I don't think you would notice a huge difference in the temperature between June and July. Hot is hot.

Two things that might influence your decision

1) The rhodos will bloom in the Roan Highlands in mid to late June so that would be nice to see

2) The further you get into summer the higher your chances are of not being able to find water

I'm sure others can give you more specific info but that's just off the top of my head.

bigcranky
04-20-2016, 14:18
June is nicer, and cooler, and as noted the rhododendrons are blooming in June. But really either month will work.

illabelle
04-20-2016, 14:19
I've seen some data suggesting that the rhododendron bloom extends through mid-July (or maybe that was the endangered Gray's Lily?) - not sure. Anyway, that area is absolutely beautiful during the summer, even if it is hot. So do your walking in the morning/evening, and sit under a tree during the midday heat.

MuddyWaters
04-20-2016, 14:33
Peak for rhodo bloom is 2nd - 3rd week of june usually.
A single storm can destroy the blooms in a day though, so it can never come some yrs.

macaronijones
04-20-2016, 18:05
Thanks for that info, I hadn't thought about the rhodos but that's definitely a plus. How concerned should I be about water shortages in those particular areas in July?

martinb
04-20-2016, 20:47
Interested in the water situation, as well. Plan a few nights up that way in late June. Going to drop off the trail and visit family while they luxo-camp in GHSP.

PixieDust
04-21-2016, 10:18
I just finished a 20+ long weekend at Grayson Highlands last weekend. Despite being April, one day hit 80 degrees (the other days were a bit cooler). There were plenty of places to top off your water supply. Several springs with nice clear water (meaning you don't have to use a bulky filter, though I would still recommend purifying). It was already starting to get crowded as well. Especially along the sections of the AT, with the area around the shelter by Mt Rogers being particularly crowded.

JumpMaster Blaster
04-21-2016, 15:46
Mid to late June for the rhodo blooms, just try to avoid a weekend unless you're okay sharing the trail with HUNDREDS of people. I hiked the area the 1st week of July also, and while the Gray's Lily was still in bloom, the rhodos and azaleas were already gone, with only a few clingers.

JumpMaster Blaster
04-21-2016, 15:49
Thanks for that info, I hadn't thought about the rhodos but that's definitely a plus. How concerned should I be about water shortages in those particular areas in July?

Mid Jun last year was fine, ample water. The first week of August last year was pretty dry- I'd camel up anytime you come across water.

ShaneP
04-22-2016, 13:15
Blueberries ripen more toward the end of July and on the balds a bowl of mush tastes a lot better with blueberries in it

ShaneP
04-22-2016, 13:17
The driest stretch in the greyson highlands area is between Wise and Thomas knob shelters. Camel up at either depending on your direction