PDA

View Full Version : trying to decide on sleeping bag, your opinion pls

tombolino
04-20-2016, 13:49
Looking at these 3 for all around use in Georgia and beyond, 3 season.

Enlightened Equipment Convert fully enclosed sleeping bag, 20 degree, 800 down dritek, 1 lbs 57 oz. No hood, fully openable, foot box opening.

Sierra Designs Zissou 3S: Weighs 2 lbs, 10oz, has hood, 700 down, packs at 8x16. EN Lower 15

Sierra Design Zissou 23 or 26 bag, similar to above

Sea To Summit Trek II: EN 18 degree, has hood, footbox, open like quilt, 650 down, weighs 2 lbs, 7 oz, packs at 7.5 x14.

thoughts?

DuneElliot
04-20-2016, 14:09
Gotta admit that I love my EE Convert.

johnnybgood
04-20-2016, 16:02
+ 1 on anything EE

DuneElliot
04-20-2016, 16:07
I went for the Convert so I could use it with more versatility (quilt when warm out, sleeping bag when cooler out, or somewhere in between)...and being a stomach and side sleeper I always hated fitted mummy-bag hoods. The large ones were fine since they could hold a pillow, but the head-sized ones are just irritatingly in the way!

Secondmouse
04-20-2016, 16:47
I haven't tested all the bags you listed but live in ATL as well, and I can tell you my choices. I have a 2-season bag (spring and fall) and a summer quilt...

I'm a back and side sleeper and roll around at night. my quilt has some trouble at the bottom of it's temp range due to drafts and because of this, I believe a bag is a better idea for cold-weather. a more experienced quilt user may not have the same trouble I do, but my experience is not uncommon.

my bag is the Zissou23. it uses 700 fill dri-down, weighs 2lbs, and is EN37 rated to 23*F. I have been comfortable all night down to 30* on a good mattress with just a baselayer top, boxers, wool socks, and hat. I haven't slept with it down to the rated 23* but I'm totally confident it will if I add a fleece or puffy layer.

I also have a EE Prodigy (synthetic) 40* quilt for summer. if I stay on my back I have been warm at 43* but back pain will cause me to roll to my side and sometime later I'll wake up with a chill. usually it's a little draft in the small of my back and goes away when I adjust the quilt but anyway, 40* is not as critical a temperature as 20*. however, these problems go away at 50* and above making it a great summer solution.

for winter weather, I'll layer my quilt over top of the down bag. this is supposed to get me to 0* or a little below...

rainydaykid
04-20-2016, 16:54
Looking at these 3 for all around use in Georgia and beyond, 3 season.

Enlightened Equipment Convert fully enclosed sleeping bag, 20 degree, 800 down dritek, 1 lbs 57 oz. No hood, fully openable, foot box opening.

Sierra Designs Zissou 3S: Weighs 2 lbs, 10oz, has hood, 700 down, packs at 8x16. EN Lower 15

Sierra Design Zissou 23 or 26 bag, similar to above

Sea To Summit Trek II: EN 18 degree, has hood, footbox, open like quilt, 650 down, weighs 2 lbs, 7 oz, packs at 7.5 x14.

thoughts?

That last one is heavy for down. My 20 synthetic quilt is 2lb 6oz.

tombolino
04-26-2016, 19:19
I went for the Convert so I could use it with more versatility (quilt when warm out, sleeping bag when cooler out, or somewhere in between)...and being a stomach and side sleeper I always hated fitted mummy-bag hoods. The large ones were fine since they could hold a pillow, but the head-sized ones are just irritatingly in the way!

DuneElliot. Can you elaborate on the lenght you got? You got a 6.6 or a 6? How tall are you? What temp did you get?

DuneElliot
04-27-2016, 09:04
I am 5'5 and 120#. I got the regular width, and regular length (6') as I wanted to be able to pull it over my head if I needed to. The regular would be suitable for most people...but I would measure around your shoulders, or across another comfortable sleeping bag you have to be sure.
I bought the 10* rating with 800FP Dri-down in purple and green, but I also camp in the Rockies and other mountains above 9000 consistently.

mandolindave
04-27-2016, 09:46
Waiver….I have never used a quilt. I am a stomach sleeper. When car camping, I liked my antique 10,000 pound rectangular down bag, and kept it in the van for emergencies. I've used several mummy bags and didn't like being hog tied. My brother and I shared about ten bags….all of which are dead or left in South America.

I feel liked I slightly offended a forum member by dismissing the quilt style, as being difficult to manage in the middle of the night. I also like having the extra cushion underneath me even tho the R value drops when it's compressed. He responded politely, that he had no trouble keeping covered while toss and turning, and he posted a video that reviewed the quilt. The video confirmed my suspicions, as the reviewer seem to struggle with the bag. He demonstrated what to do when your feet get hot, and the slim bottom section appeared to be useless from the waste down.

I was actually searching for a new, old style rectangular bag….there are few available. Yeah I know,.. wasted weight. I am leaning towards a Sierra Design Back Country Bed. As I said, I am a stomach sleeper with my arms above my head, and like to spread my legs to facilitate testicular temperature control. ( sorry ladies TMI ). The SD BCB is about perfect for people who sleep with the arms above the head, and on your stomach.

mandolindave
04-27-2016, 10:05
For entertainment purposes only ( sorry for wasting space ) Here are a few of my brothers excuses for not bringing back my bags

#1 It was too bulky to carry back on the plane.

#2 It was too bulky to carry back on the plane,

#3 I was mugged at knife point in Bogata,…..and they took your bag.

#4 The zipper broke

#5 I forgot it

#6 It got muddy

#7 I was in a canoe, and it caught on fire, so to save our lives,…..I threw it overboard ( my absolute favorite excuse )

In my brothers defense, he usually replaced the bags with better ones. ( I got one of the bags with Green Stamps )

Kestrelchick
04-29-2016, 18:44
My teenage son loves his Sierra Designs Zissou 3S - he is almost 5'10" and he has the long size - he likes having the space around his shoulders and really likes the little fold-down quilt type top to it

Del Q
04-29-2016, 19:07
I have really broad shoulders, weigh about 220...........Mont Bell spiral has worked well for me. There are times when I want to be totally bundled in. Plus I sleep with a balaclava and gloves. Want to be WARM AND TOASTY when its freezing out..........

tombolino
05-03-2016, 15:19
Two quick questions:

-I think I need to pay close attention to the compressed and non compressed size as that will tell me the size of the bag when compressed and the stuff sack size (roughly the size it will be uncompressed)....right??

-Is dri duck much better than regular duck down? I know what dri means. Just not sure if its hype or worth it.

Ashepabst
05-03-2016, 18:25
the higher the fill power the more compressible it will be. differences in fabrics may affect somewhat, but really what you need to pay attention to is the fill power. narrow it down to bags in your price range that will fit you comfortably, and then go with the highest fill power.

RangerZ
05-03-2016, 21:51
I like my zissou23. I'm good towards freezing in short base layer and socks. Been down to 18 in long base layer, socks and balaclava. I haven't ( and don't want to ) push it below that.

Coyote Rob
05-04-2016, 00:39
It's my opinion that a 30 F down bag and a good liner are best for the AT, and requires no bag-swapping. You now have three sleeping bags:
1. The sleeping bag alone
2. The liner alone (you may never do this on the AT, but it's great for summer anywhere it gets warm)
3. Both together

Also, you're allowed to wear as much as you want inside your sleeping bag.

So rather than getting two bags and dealing with postage, get one good bag and one good liner and stick with 'em.