PDA

View Full Version : Cooper Spur 2, too heavy?

tombolino
04-20-2016, 13:53
I have a new one here at home. Weighed it. With footprint, comes in at 3lbs 56 oz.

Im not thru hiking, but I am buying 1st time serious gear, trying to be light-ish.

thoughts?

alnitak
04-20-2016, 14:11
I have a new one here at home. Weighed it. With footprint, comes in at 3lbs 56 oz.

Im not thru hiking, but I am buying 1st time serious gear, trying to be light-ish.

thoughts?

I assume you have the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. That is the same tent I have. For me, the extra pound or so (vs. say, the Fly Creek UL1) is worth the extra room and length. And, it is a 2-person tent vs. one person if you ever hike with a partner.

lonehiker
04-20-2016, 14:22
Ditch the footprint and you just got light-ish.

Traveler
04-20-2016, 14:27
Since you already have the tent, why not use it for a while and see how it rides and more importantly, how you feel once inside it. I carry that same tent and don't find it uncomfortable to carry and very comfortable to live in. If you want to make it lighter you can leave the fly and footprint at home and lose the pound. The UL2 is serious gear, performs well, and is reasonably light weight as compared with similar produce specifications.

tombolino
04-20-2016, 14:55
Thanks ya'll. I think Im getting bogged down in the UL ounce counting as Im buying gear for the 1st time and hate the idea of rebuying lighter later but perhaps thats just how it goes.

I made a spreadsheet, currently my base weight is at roughly 20 lbs (not counting food, fuel and what I will be wearing).

hikernutcasey
04-20-2016, 14:59
I agree with Travler. Ditch the footprint and if you feel you must have one buy one of these http://gossamergear.com/polycryo-tent-ground-sheets-protection.html They weigh almost nothing.

Also, I just cram my tent in my pack and ditch the stuff sack. I can't remember exactly but with just the tent, fly, poles and stakes it was less than 3 lbs.

DuneElliot
04-20-2016, 15:23
Thanks ya'll. I think Im getting bogged down in the UL ounce counting as Im buying gear for the 1st time and hate the idea of rebuying lighter later but perhaps thats just how it goes.

I did this too...wanted to learn from other people's mistakes and heed their advice so I went as light as possible from the get go. I have read several thru-hike blogs where people used this exact tent and really liked it so I think you'll be perfectly happy with it, especially since you already have it. I agree, ditch the footprint...I only use one with my CF Duplex because of the amount of money I paid for it.

Feel free to share the spreadsheet...there are plenty here who could probably help you ditch weight elsewhere.

tombolino
04-20-2016, 16:10
My weight spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bQYPfvUrxjSLeRT12nsxOFbntvhFXDFmzwQedtCKUSM/edit#gid=0

lonehiker
04-20-2016, 16:39
I don't look at peoples spreadsheets very often, but I do note that you are including your trekking poles in your base weight. I would treat them like a worn item.

DuneElliot
04-20-2016, 16:50
Things I see you could drop and save some weight:

Tweezers
Face moisuturizer
Floss sticks. Carry dental floss if necessary (can be used for fixing gear too)
Snake bite extractor...those things don't work and can actually cause more problems. Learn how to properly deal with a snake bite.
Water bladder (unless you are going through dry/arid areas). 2 Smartwater bottles is sufficient.
Mirror
Pick one knife, either the camp knife or the SA knife
Matches...you already have a lighter
Tent footprint

And as mentioned above, your trekking poles shouldn't be included in base weight.

DuneElliot
04-20-2016, 16:52
Oh and get rid of the REI fleece zip (unless it's really cold)...you already have a L/S wool layer, a S/S layer and a puffy down jacket.

rainydaykid
04-20-2016, 16:57
I'd go with a tarp, personally. I have a homemade tarptent that is 24oz with stakes and mosquito netting. Base weight is a hair under 10lbs.

HooKooDooKu
04-20-2016, 18:51
I agree with Travler. Ditch the footprint and if you feel you must have one buy one of these http://gossamergear.com/polycryo-tent-ground-sheets-protection.html They weigh almost nothing...
The Copper Spur 2 ground sheet has a specified weight of 5oz.
Based on the specs shown for the polycryo sheets, you would need to purchase the larger sheet and cut to fit.
The end result would be a weight savings of only about 2.5oz, and you wouldn't be able to attach the ground sheet to the tent like you can with the custom ground sheet (makes it easy to pickup and move once you've set it up).

hikernutcasey
04-25-2016, 10:23
The Copper Spur 2 ground sheet has a specified weight of 5oz.
Based on the specs shown for the polycryo sheets, you would need to purchase the larger sheet and cut to fit.
The end result would be a weight savings of only about 2.5oz, and you wouldn't be able to attach the ground sheet to the tent like you can with the custom ground sheet (makes it easy to pickup and move once you've set it up).YMMV but in my experience the standard size polycro works just fine and mine weighs in at 1.6 oz so that's a savings of 3.4 ounces.

colorado_rob
04-25-2016, 10:58
Oh and get rid of the REI fleece zip (unless it's really cold)...you already have a L/S wool layer, a S/S layer and a puffy down jacket.

Things I see you could drop and save some weight:

Tweezers
Face moisuturizer
Floss sticks. Carry dental floss if necessary (can be used for fixing gear too)
Snake bite extractor...those things don't work and can actually cause more problems. Learn how to properly deal with a snake bite.
Water bladder (unless you are going through dry/arid areas). 2 Smartwater bottles is sufficient.
Mirror
Pick one knife, either the camp knife or the SA knife
Matches...you already have a lighter
Tent footprint

And as mentioned above, your trekking poles shouldn't be included in base weight.All of this, including ditching the silly tent footprint. As others have said, if you MUST have one for some reason, get a polycro two-pack for $10, cut one to fit, cut another for a spare later on (but don't carry it) and save another few ounces (as said, 3.4 ounces, not 2.5). there is no reason why a tent footprint needs to be attached at the corners. Make sure you cut it slightly smaller than the tent base though so it never sticks out to collect rain. Or just fugedaboudid. Never used one myself, never worn out a tent floor.

Whiskey_Richard
04-25-2016, 11:18
July starts my first thru hike and I have very little experience but here's my current list.
https://lighterpack.com/r/1gb688

Stevep311
04-25-2016, 14:52
July starts my first thru hike and I have very little experience but here's my current list.
https://lighterpack.com/r/1gb688

sleeping pad?

rocketsocks
04-25-2016, 15:29

thoughts?trade ya my copper spur 1 fer ya copper spur 2...I need more room.

Whiskey_Richard
04-25-2016, 18:23
Undecided air or foam