PDA

View Full Version : New Blog: How do you find time to go backpacking?

12trysomething
04-20-2016, 18:53
I've got all the gear, now I just have to find time to use it.

This was a fun collaboration to write about. Please give part 1 a read.

How do you find time to go backpacking? Part 1 (http://www.backpackingadventures.net/blog/params/post/836905/how-do-you-find-time-to-go-backpacking-part-1)

Rob

soumodeler
04-20-2016, 19:54
How I find time to go backpacking:

Walk in boss's office. Say "I'm going backpacking on dates xyz. Is that ok? Thanks!"

Go backpacking!

I really do have an awesome boss.

4shot
04-20-2016, 20:24
my recipe for success (or disaster depending on one's perspective): quit a "good" job at 50 for a variety of reasons (boredom?, frustration?, middle age crisis?, fate?, or whatever). Decide to go 'try' a thruhike. Fall in love with the whole thing.Afterwards, only take jobs that allow me the time to hike for weeks or months at a time.If you make this a priority going into a job,things will work themselves out. If this (hiking for extended periods) is a low level priority, then one won't factor that into job or career decisions. either way, it's all good - priorities are different for all of us.

RockDoc
04-20-2016, 20:27
Make the time. Give up something else (generally making more money).

If anyone asks, say "I need to do this before I get any older". There's no decent rebuttal to that.

Miel
04-20-2016, 21:08
Academia. And I publish a literary journal.

No-one has ever forced me to teach in the summer (except my bank account); as for my future thru, intend to do that during a sabbatical.

Heliotrope
04-20-2016, 22:28
I have my own business. I can take the best weeks of the hiking season. However it is not quite ready to allow me a thru hike, yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rainydaykid
04-20-2016, 22:56
After fighting the VA for 12 years, I finally got my disability for PTSD. I'm starting my 2016 thru in a couple of days. I'll probably hike a lot more now that I don't have to worry about money or a job.

Before this, I was able to hike a lot by planning my life. I never wanted to get married or have kids. I have had a couple of relationships in the past, but getting married I knew would be a bad choice for me, as I would lose my freedom. So finding the time to do what I want has mainly about being committed to remaining single.

DuneElliot
04-21-2016, 09:04
I'm lucky in that my job (not teaching) lays me off for 3 1/2 months in the summer so I can pack up and go any time from mid-May to mid-August. I also don't have any debt or bills or spouse or kids, except the furry kind, to keep me bound to one location. I'm moving into an RV full time next year, just so I can go explore every area of this country and hike all over the place while still working 3/4 of the year.

DuneElliot
04-21-2016, 09:06
After fighting the VA for 12 years, I finally got my disability for PTSD. I'm starting my 2016 thru in a couple of days. I'll probably hike a lot more now that I don't have to worry about money or a job.

Before this, I was able to hike a lot by planning my life. I never wanted to get married or have kids. I have had a couple of relationships in the past, but getting married I knew would be a bad choice for me, as I would lose my freedom. So finding the time to do what I want has mainly about being committed to remaining single.

Wow, you sound so much like me regarding kids and marriage, but I do think you can get married to the right person and retain your freedom...I just haven't found that person yet, and may never do so either...and I'm okay with that.

Another Kevin
04-21-2016, 11:07
Most of the time, I don't find the time for extended backpacking, that's why I remain a clueless weekender. But I can count the years to retirement without taking off my boots...

Miel
04-21-2016, 11:25
Most of the time, I don't find the time for extended backpacking, that's why I remain a clueless weekender. But I can count the years to retirement without taking off my boots...

Your posts are far from clueless. Although my thru is years away, I am learning a great deal for them. I'm taking my daughter to NYC for her high school graduation, and hope we can take Metro-North to the AT stop and spend a few days hiking around there. She's both very urban and very beach-oriented, but this could be a great little experience for her. The fact that this part of the AT is accessible by public transportation from a large city, I think she'll be amendable to that (and never too far from urban areas that she loves). I also think it's very cool that Metro-North (one of my favorite public transportation lines anywhere) has an AT stop.

dzierzak
04-21-2016, 11:52
... I also think it's very cool that Metro-North (one of my favorite public transportation lines anywhere) has an AT stop.

Just be aware the Appalachian Trail stop is only used on weekends.

Miel
04-21-2016, 11:59
Just be aware the Appalachian Trail stop is only used on weekends.

Thanks for the information!

linus72
04-21-2016, 12:44
you can ride to the pawling or wingdale stops on a regular schedule though and walk a few road miles to get to the trail if you need to... or get a cab from the station up to the crossing rt 22.

linus72
04-21-2016, 12:49
or take a train or bus into harriman or bear mtn - tons of trails in those parks

Miel
04-21-2016, 16:35
Thank you, linus!

Greenlight
04-21-2016, 20:49
My life trajectory sounds similar. I'd love to pick your brain. PM me if you get a chance.

my recipe for success (or disaster depending on one's perspective): quit a "good" job at 50 for a variety of reasons (boredom?, frustration?, middle age crisis?, fate?, or whatever). Decide to go 'try' a thruhike. Fall in love with the whole thing.Afterwards, only take jobs that allow me the time to hike for weeks or months at a time.If you make this a priority going into a job,things will work themselves out. If this (hiking for extended periods) is a low level priority, then one won't factor that into job or career decisions. either way, it's all good - priorities are different for all of us.

BonBon
04-21-2016, 23:00
In this blog entry you talk about the support of your spouse. For me- that was the whole key to hiking the AT. My husband helped me create the space for my hike. It helps that I own my own business, but walking away from it and also my 15 year old for 6 months was really tough. We all survived and thrived. There is never going to be the perfect time because life does not stop happening when you reach a certain age. It will be just as hard to leave grandkids, Im sure. I want to do another long distance hike- but I will wait for my husband to retire for the next one so we can do it together. Meantime- day hikes, weekend hikes.

DuneElliot
04-22-2016, 08:55
In this blog entry you talk about the support of your spouse. For me- that was the whole key to hiking the AT. My husband helped me create the space for my hike. It helps that I own my own business, but walking away from it and also my 15 year old for 6 months was really tough. We all survived and thrived. There is never going to be the perfect time because life does not stop happening when you reach a certain age. It will be just as hard to leave grandkids, Im sure. I want to do another long distance hike- but I will wait for my husband to retire for the next one so we can do it together. Meantime- day hikes, weekend hikes.

I read your blog...it was very much an enjoyable read. For some reason I haven't found the same quality of interesting blogs about thru-hiking the AT as I have on the PCT.

12trysomething
04-25-2016, 10:00
Part 2 is posted and can be read here (http://www.backpackingadventures.net/blog/params/post/842454/Finding-time-part-2).

Thanks.

Mags
04-25-2016, 11:18
How to find time to backpack? The same way I make time to see friends, visit my family once a year or so, go to the dentist or doctor: I make it a priority and do it.

I am lucky that I am do not have children nor do I plan to at this time. So, more in my time bank vs other friends, too.

Tipi Walter
04-25-2016, 11:44
I read thru both your blog posts and have some thoughts. You say,

"I encourage you to try making getting outdoors a priority."

But in the beginning you say,

"After many years of getting tied to desk jobs, starting a family . . ."

So, which is it, getting outdoors or job/family? Which is the priority? You DID use the keyword though: TIED.

You define TIED as
** 24/7 work responsibilities.
** Kids and school.
** Household chores.

You say,
"Time is the most valuable thing we have." and yet backpacking requires big blocks of time.

12 nights out of 365 is absurd because you could sleep in the backyard every night and especially in the winter and have 100 or more nights out (bag nights) instead of 12.

Overall I'd say we make the choices we want to make---and the choice to have a family and 24/7 work is simply a choice.

If someone REALLY wants to make the outdoors a priority, well, there are concrete ways to do it.

Odd Man Out
04-25-2016, 11:54
My wife is not able to backpack but she loves the outdoors. So when her sister comes to visit, we all drive to Front Royal. They drop me off and drive to Big Meadows to hang out for a few day while I hike SOBO. Our daughter drives up from NC to join them. A few days later I arrive at the lodge, we all each blackberry milk shakes and eat. The next morning we all drive home.

Odd Man Out
04-25-2016, 11:55
Academia. And I publish a literary journal.

No-one has ever forced me to teach in the summer (except my bank account); as for my future thru, intend to do that during a sabbatical.

Hmmm. At our university we have to work during our sabbaticals. I doubt I could get "I'll thru hike the AT" approved as a sabbatical proposal.

saltysack
04-25-2016, 12:22
I'm lucky in that my job (not teaching) lays me off for 3 1/2 months in the summer so I can pack up and go any time from mid-May to mid-August. I also don't have any debt or bills or spouse or kids, except the furry kind, to keep me bound to one location. I'm moving into an RV full time next year, just so I can go explore every area of this country and hike all over the place while still working 3/4 of the year.

Curious and jealous......what is your occupation?

DuneElliot
04-25-2016, 12:36
Curious and jealous......what is your occupation?

I work for a sugarbeet seed processing facility. Seed harvests start arriving at the beginning of September so I always come back to work a couple of weeks earlier than that to prep the books and paperwork. That goes until around Christmas. From mid January until early-mid April we ship the processed sugarbeet seeds to the grow areas. The last couple of weeks are inventory and complete warehouse sampling and testing. Then most of us get laid off and they keep a skeleton crew during the summer to do maintenance stuff, new machine installation etc.

Mags
04-25-2016, 12:43
12 nights out of 365 is absurd because you could sleep in the backyard every night and especially in the winter and have 100 or more nights out (bag nights) instead of 12.

Sleeping in the backyard just to get some bag nights in seems akin to walking around a track to get in hiking miles.

Tipi Walter
04-25-2016, 13:50
Sleeping in the backyard just to get some bag nights in seems akin to walking around a track to get in hiking miles.

Outdoors and bag nights are . . . uh . . . outdoors and bag nights. I used to stealth camp back in 1980 and slept in town cemeteries and behind grocery stores in some trees and at practically any place I could find a spot to throw down a bedroll. Was I in Glacier NP? Nope. Was I on Wilburn Ridge in Mt Rogers? Nope. Was I getting my outdoor fix and my bag nights? Yup. Backyard camping, whether in a hammock or in a tent or in a bedroll or on a deck or a porch, is still sleeping outside and satisfies in some small way our need for the outdoors---esp when conditions require us to be indoors at times.

Mags
04-25-2016, 13:59
Outdoors and bag nights are . . . uh . . . outdoors and bag nights.

Yes and walking on a track is...walking and outdoors.

Glad you enjoy your backyard, and grocery store, camping [1]

But using it to just get bag nights in? May as well walk a track to get hiking miles in, too, for your "resume".

And really has nothing to with the OPs discussion if we were to be honest in terms of getting time in backpacking.

[1] Hanging with RVers now, Walter? (http://www.elmonterv.com/guide/rv-rental-information/overnight-stay-information/) :D

Miel
04-26-2016, 08:20
Hmmm. At our university we have to work during our sabbaticals. I doubt I could get "I'll thru hike the AT" approved as a sabbatical proposal.

My crapass school will allow it. They like my friend's, thru-hiker PrairieFlax, idea of curriculum development based on her trip. They don't force the matter, but I probably will end up doing something along PF's line. Not a memoir, but something educators could use.

coastwatcher42
04-27-2016, 05:42
The way that I chose to find time to go backpacking was to join the Army fresh out of college and become a Ranger. I got to backpack to backpack to my heart's content...and then some. I retired from my Army career at age 47 and can now backpack whenever I want.

Hops53
04-27-2016, 23:04
You won't find time to backpack until it becomes what you do - I work to support my backpacking habit - I don't backpack when I have time off from work.