PDA

View Full Version : Renovo Trio Water Filter

pickle
04-21-2016, 13:17
Has anyone used the Renovo Trio Water Filter.
I saw a you tube about it and between it and Sawyer mini there were pro's for one and pro's for the other.
I looked up the Renovo Trio Water Filter and you have to change out the filters now and then.
The filters are not cheap for the Renovo Trio Water Filter.
The Renovo Trio Water Filter, filters out more items and has a .5 filter
I have a Sawyer mini and like it.

nsherry61
04-21-2016, 13:55
No, I haven't used the Renovo Trio and I probably never will.
- The carbon filter, to remove chemicals, is useful in front-country water contaminated with chemicals, not an issue in back-country water or most front-country water, but a significant addition of complexity, weight, and reduced flow rate.
- Renovo's 0.05 micron (not 0.5 micron as noted above) is not small enough to significantly reduce virus contamination (norovirus is 0.026 - 0.035 microns, hepatitis viruses 0.027 - 0.055) and way smaller than needed for bacteria and protozoa which are filtered out effectively with 0.2 microns. So, the 0.05 micron pore size drastically reduces flow rate without any advantage over larger pore size filters with much faster flow rates like the Sawyer squeeze or mini.

If you want to torture yourself with slow flow rates, both Sawyer (https://www.rei.com/product/781792/sawyer-point-zero-two-water-purifier-with-bucket-adapter) and Lifestraw (https://www.rei.com/product/890673/lifestraw-mission-gravity-water-purifier) make portable filters with small enough pore size to remove viruses (<0.02 micron). But, since viruses are not an issue in North American back-country water, most people on this site probably don't care and don't want to carry the extra weight and wait the extra time or spend the extra money to use them.

Have fun.

HooKooDooKu
04-21-2016, 14:00
The single biggest problem I see is that the "mouth" piece.
The mouth makes it a deal breaker for me because I filter with a Mini in gravity feed mode with a hose that I slip over the nipple. This mouth piece looks like if I tried the same thing, it would at a minimum leak.

I found this review (http://briangreen.net/2014/07/renovo-trio-water-filter-review.html) where the author also has some negative comments about the mouth piece.

I do like the concept of an integrated pre-filter. I tried to use a Sweetwater Silt-stopper pre-filter on the Mini. But it was an awkward set of connections going from a dirty water bag to a hose to the silt-stopper to another hose to the Mini. Directly attaching the dirty water bag to the Mini is so much easier... as is a built-in pre-filter for the Renovo.

But I dislike the fact that stage 1 (pre-filter) and stage 3 (carbon) are simple pads. I don't expect their life expectancy to be very long. What was nice about the Sweetwater pre-filter is that it was much more 3-D providing much more surface area, and could easily be back-flushed.

ScareBear
04-22-2016, 09:39
FirstNeed Deluxe XLE Elite, if you are going to do a lot of water purification. Purification. Not just filtering. And, anyone who thinks that viruses don't populate in NA backwaters....you are freaking kidding me, right? It may be rare, but it for sure exists.

rocketsocks
04-22-2016, 09:49
FirstNeed Deluxe XLE Elite, if you are going to do a lot of water purification. Purification. Not just filtering. And, anyone who thinks that viruses don't populate in NA backwaters....you are freaking kidding me, right? It may be rare, but it for sure exists....or that giardiasis and cryptosparidium and the only two things that will jam ya up. Remember what happens when ya play with fire? eventually your parts fall off :eek: but if folks can't be bothered then maybe they don't need thier intestines when they get older, or thier minds.