PDA

View Full Version : Max Total Weight

skinnbones
04-21-2016, 18:31
In preparation for a 2017 Thru hike. I'm very thin (140 lbs... that is where Skinnbones comes from) and wondering what my max total weight should be for my pack. I understand Ultra is the way to go, but my budget won't allow this. Also, have you seen many "under weight" hikers on the A.T.? Thanks.

Feral Bill
04-21-2016, 19:05
20% of your lean (all of it I gather) body mass would be 28 lbs. That should be easy to do on a reasonable budget. The cheap route is to carry fewer items, not marginally lighter ones. I hope to meet you next spring.

Hikingjim
04-21-2016, 19:20
being underweight is in many ways better for hiking than packing a bunch of extra pounds in fat, so you have that going for you. there are many very light hikers that have no issue, and you'll be fine

You just have to make sure you bring enough food or you'll get very weak if you have no extra fat

make sure your big items are as light as you can manage and get a fairly light pack and you'll be fine. You can look for a used shelter, and don't need a 950 fill down sleeping bag. Just start with the mindset that you won't bring any stuff that isn't really needed

Mountain Bluebird
04-21-2016, 20:17
Wise advice above. I highly recommend Mike Clelland's Ultralight Backpackin' Tips. Subtitled 153 amazing and inexpensive tips for extremely lightweight camping. Also at the top of the front cover: a practical & philosophical guide (with cartoons). The wise advice above still stands as you go through the book. Even though I have decided NOT to go ultralight, the author's approach was excellent. Every decision I have made for my hike later this year has its roots in the philosophy/approach that the author offers. I have been able to use a lot of what I already had, and saw how the author figured out which stuff should go into the pack.

Also, you are in an excellent position to snap up some deals on used equipment, found elsewhere in this forum. You have almost a year to cruise for deals. I bought secondhand tent, backpack, rain pants, and maps from fellow hikers using this site. I asked for and got some Tyvek at a construction site. I did buy a cookset new. And I made my own alcohol stove. Not bragging; just giving you an assurance that you too can do it.

Greenlight
04-21-2016, 20:46
I'm in the process of bringing my gear weight down. You've got time to scrounge for some of the lighter gear you'll need, and as everyone will tell you, get the weight down on your sleeping bag, shelter, pack, and cooking equipment. Your food and water are going to weigh what they weigh, and it'll vary. I just dropped five pounds on my gear weight today by getting a much lighter pack and a summer weight sleeping bag. That was a huge drop for me, and I should be in the high 20s to low 30s. I'm also carrying a hammock instead of a tent, and depending on the brands, you can drop a significant amount of weight by switching to a hammock.

lonehiker
04-21-2016, 21:00
I'm also carrying a hammock instead of a tent, and depending on the brands, you can drop a significant amount of weight by switching to a hammock.

I don't think this is a true statement.

lonehiker
04-21-2016, 21:02
What hammock setup is lighter than the lightest tent?

waukinslo
04-21-2016, 21:44
Dutchware halfwit hammock - 13 ounces including suspension, and cuben fiber tarp at 10 ounces, not many tents are lighter than that

Hikingjim
04-21-2016, 21:55
yeah, you can make a basic tent that weighs little out of cuban fiber tarp + a couple other components too.

But I don't think the OP wants to buy any cuban fiber goods...

So just getting a fairly minimal shelter will work if you plan on mostly using shelters. If you want to use your tent/hammock more often then it's worth investing more

nsherry61
04-21-2016, 22:13
Dutchware halfwit hammock - 13 ounces including suspension, and cuben fiber tarp at 10 ounces, not many tents are lighter than that
Yeah, but your tarping, not tenting, and lots of tarps are lighter than 23 oz. If you ditch the hammock, use a polycryo ground sheet and you are at 10 oz for the tarp and 2 oz for the ground sheet and save 11 oz by sleeping on the ground. That doesn't mean hammocking is a bad thing or that it isn't worth carrying the extra weight, but DON'T GO FOOLING YOURSELF thinking that a hammock is lighter than going to ground.

If you are trying to be economical, you can get tarps for a lot less money and a lot less weight than any other adequate shelter. It's amazing how much weight can be saved with a little knowledge.

Spend money on a good bag/quilt and a good pack. Everything else can be done perfectly functionally in total dirt-bag cheap mode.

lonehiker
04-21-2016, 22:14

There are several tents lighter than 23 oz.

4eyedbuzzard
04-21-2016, 22:17
Just don't fall into the trap of having an absolute "set" weight limit and not having gear suitable for conditions. Gear carried is determined by the conditions you'll be hiking in, not just by an arbitrary weight goal. Warm and dry and well fed are more important than carrying a few extra pounds. You'll also obviously carry more weight on both ends of a hike as that's when you'll need more insulation for sleeping, for clothing, more fuel, and there are times your food and water load will vary.

High end, second hand, lightly used gear can be had for 1/2 the cost of new. Shop here, ebay, etc.

MuddyWaters
04-22-2016, 04:43
In preparation for a 2017 Thru hike. I'm very thin (140 lbs... that is where Skinnbones comes from) and wondering what my max total weight should be for my pack. I understand Ultra is the way to go, but my budget won't allow this. Also, have you seen many "under weight" hikers on the A.T.? Thanks.

Underweight hikers on AT?

Many thruhikers look downright emaciated by the time they reach maine.

Lots of small women have toted 40 lb packs the whole way as well.

Pedaling Fool
04-22-2016, 06:50
The Sherpas of Nepal typically carry 110 lbs and the women typically carry 88 lbs. But I understand, you want to have a enjoyable hike, so I'd say 60-70 lbs, that's easy weight for a female Nepalese Sherpa:) http://www.md.ucl.ac.be/iepr/loco_rec6EN.htm

futureatwalker
04-22-2016, 17:06
I'm not 140, but I'm not that far off. What I find problematic in carrying a load sometimes is my knees.

A few thoughts:

I carry neoprene knee braces. I put them on before long descents. It could be psychosomatic, but it seems to help.

I don't carry a ton of water. Usually, if I know there are water sources every few miles, I just carry a liter. Obviously, when the situation warrants, I'll carry more.

I wear relatively lightweight hiking shoes.

mountainman
04-23-2016, 13:30
If you have the money to spent you could start with 11-12 lbs. base weight, before food and water.

Feral Bill
04-23-2016, 13:57
If you have the money to spent you could start with 11-12 lbs. base weight, before food and water. "I understand Ultra is the way to go, but my budget won't allow this. Also, have you seen many "under weight" hikers on the A.T.? Thanks."

rafe
04-23-2016, 15:50
If you have the money to spent you could start with 11-12 lbs. base weight, before food and water.

Not exactly. This is a situation where skill and experience are required, and a willingness to just go without. If you could buy your way to UL status, more folks would do it. I've been backpacking for a few decades now and am happy with a base weight in the high teens. A few things keep me from that super low base weight -- eg., I never really got comfy with alcohol stoves, much less tarps. Not to mention camera, smartphone, external charger packs, etc.

Heliotrope
04-23-2016, 22:27

Have you done any backpacking? If so how many days have you been out for without resupply and his did your body hold up?

I suggest going out for some shakedown hikes to see what feels comfortable for you. I used to be fairly thin and a "heavy pack" was a struggle for me.

What worked for me was to build up with strength training ( squats, deadlifts, etc) and eat enough quality food to support muscle growth.

On the trail I plan my calorie needs per day to provide energy for the day without tapping into body stores (breaking down lean tissue) I do well with about 4500 cal/day.

And lastly I have progressively reduced my base weight such that carrying a 7 day supply of food and gear feels pretty good from the start.

What those numbers are for you is what you need to figure out by field testing. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtDoraDave
04-24-2016, 08:56
Rafe hit the nail on the head when he said "the willingness to go without".
One must sacrifice comforts for weight savings... the question every hiker has to ask themselves is what do I need, and what can I do without?
I cannot sleep on a ridgerest or a z-rest pad, so I carry the extra weight of the Prolite Plus.
I had a bad experience with cold weather sleeping, so in the season when "cold" weather could hit me, I carry a 0 degree bag (two pounds heavier than my summer bag).
My backpack weighs 4.1 lbs
My tent weighs 2lbs 2oz.
winter sleeping bag weighs 4 lbs.
prolite plus weighs 1 lb 4 oz
making the basics just over 11.5 lbs.
My summer backpack is down to about 36 lbs with food (for a week) and water. I imagine it will lighten up over time as I become more at ease with doing without some things.

skinnbones
04-24-2016, 10:04
Thanks for the info. Very helpful and your tips are noted.

RayJ
04-24-2016, 16:50
You need to be heavier at the start and finish . Bounce the heavy sleeping bag and warmer clothes. Start by bouncing a heavy bag followed by the warmer cloths a week or two later. During those two weeks you can sleep in the warmer cloths with the summer bag if you have to.

Singto
04-26-2016, 11:26
Keep it less than 30 pounds including food and water. The closer to 25, the better. Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo is at 30 ounces with stakes and polycro, the Skyscape is much cheaper but a little heavier. Tent shelters offer more privacy and "options" and the Solo is roomy with a sizeable vestibule. You can get some pretty light Big Agnes free standing tents but those are "end entry" as opposed to side entry and pricey. Buy less than 8 ounce (less than 16 oz per pair) flip lock composite trekking poles on Amazon for less than $50. Cascade Mountain is the brand. Kelty Tuck synthetic bags are less than $100, about 3 pounds for regular size, compress OK and designed to open at the foot box if you like. Lot's of ways to go light but not expensive IF you don't need "famous maker" names on your equipment.

Abi
05-02-2016, 14:49

I'm only 125lbs, make sure to carry lots of Calories to eat ;) My full pack for a week, with 64oz of water included, is under 25lbs. I am outfitting with lightweight gear on a budget, everything I've purchased has been on sale AND a coupon. Takes a lot of Google searching. The most helpful part is I have created a Google Doc which I can access anywhere, which is a spreadsheet of all the items I have with weights, a list of food with the calorie-per-ounce listed, and a wishlist.

JC13
05-02-2016, 15:04
Have you done any backpacking? If so how many days have you been out for without resupply and his did your body hold up?

I suggest going out for some shakedown hikes to see what feels comfortable for you. I used to be fairly thin and a "heavy pack" was a struggle for me.

What worked for me was to build up with strength training ( squats, deadlifts, etc) and eat enough quality food to support muscle growth.

On the trail I plan my calorie needs per day to provide energy for the day without tapping into body stores (breaking down lean tissue) I do well with about 4500 cal/day.

And lastly I have progressively reduced my base weight such that carrying a 7 day supply of food and gear feels pretty good from the start.

What those numbers are for you is what you need to figure out by field testing. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkCurious as to what you are carrying food-wise to hit those numbers? Working on 10 days worth of food for a July 9-10 day section hike starting at Springer. Sitting at 2500-ish calories currently which is under my normal 38-3900.

Heliotrope
05-02-2016, 15:45
Curious as to what you are carrying food-wise to hit those numbers? Working on 10 days worth of food for a July 9-10 day section hike starting at Springer. Sitting at 2500-ish calories currently which is under my normal 38-3900.

I'm carrying 2lbs per day of high calorie ( but enjoyable for me) food . Usually something like this:

3oz dark chocolate (600 cal)
4oz nuts (800 cal)
3 energy bars (600 cal)
3-4 oz cheese (400 cal)
Crackers (200 cal)
Granola (600 cal)
Powdered whole milk (100 cal)
Whey protein powder (100 cal)
Good to Go boil in bag dinner (800 cal)
3 oz bag jerky (~150 cal)
3 oz tuna pack (~ 100 cal)
Dehydrated steamed broccoli
2-3 oz dried fruit

Sometimes I bring olive oil to add to dinners.

I hope this helps.

JC13
05-02-2016, 15:55
I'm carrying 2lbs per day of high calorie ( but enjoyable for me) food . Usually something like this:

3oz dark chocolate (600 cal)
4oz nuts (800 cal)
3 energy bars (600 cal)
3-4 oz cheese (400 cal)
Crackers (200 cal)
Granola (600 cal)
Powdered whole milk (100 cal)
Whey protein powder (100 cal)
Good to Go boil in bag dinner (800 cal)
3 oz bag jerky (~150 cal)
3 oz tuna pack (~ 100 cal)
Dehydrated steamed broccoli
2-3 oz dried fruit

Sometimes I bring olive oil to add to dinners.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt definitely helps, trying to avoid hiker honey buns and the like. I thought I was getting way over 2lbs per day before I realized I had my water added in the calculation. I had considered olive oil but decided the risk for a mess was not worth it. That and I am already at 130 grams of fat per day.

Heliotrope
05-02-2016, 20:44
It definitely helps, trying to avoid hiker honey buns and the like. I thought I was getting way over 2lbs per day before I realized I had my water added in the calculation. I had considered olive oil but decided the risk for a mess was not worth it. That and I am already at 130 grams of fat per day.

Are you concerned about eating fat? 130 grams is about 25% of calories in a 4500 cal diet. Quality fat is great fuel. As a Doctor I feel comfortable recommending higher amounts of quality fat. Your body will burn it up when you are working hard at hiking. I have found that carrying olive oil in a 16 oz water bottle works well. I keep it in my packs' outer side pocket. No leaks yet, knock on wood. :)

JC13
05-03-2016, 08:28
Are you concerned about eating fat? 130 grams is about 25% of calories in a 4500 cal diet. Quality fat is great fuel. As a Doctor I feel comfortable recommending higher amounts of quality fat. Your body will burn it up when you are working hard at hiking. I have found that carrying olive oil in a 16 oz water bottle works well. I keep it in my packs' outer side pocket. No leaks yet, knock on wood. :)

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNot concerned necessarily, I generally maintain around 35% fat/40% carbs/25% protein. I guess what threw me is looking at it in MFP without having a total days worth of food in there. I generally eat the same thing everyday so having to change up dinner and snacks because of weight/refrigeration is messing with me. Sounds like the olive oil may be worth bringing back in. I guess I would need to carry the entire trip worth, was thinking splitting it out for drops was going to be the bigger issue. I may do some googling today to see if someone sells 1 oz individual olive oil packets. That would make everything easy.

dzierzak
05-03-2016, 08:34
Not concerned necessarily, I generally maintain around 35% fat/40% carbs/25% protein. I guess what threw me is looking at it in MFP without having a total days worth of food in there. I generally eat the same thing everyday so having to change up dinner and snacks because of weight/refrigeration is messing with me. Sounds like the olive oil may be worth bringing back in. I guess I would need to carry the entire trip worth, was thinking splitting it out for drops was going to be the bigger issue. I may do some googling today to see if someone sells 1 oz individual olive oil packets. That would make everything easy.

Small sizes...

http://www.minimus.biz/Oil-Vinegar.aspx

JC13
05-03-2016, 09:03
Small sizes...

http://www.minimus.biz/Oil-Vinegar.aspxYou win the awesome person of the day award! Thanks for the link!