PDA

View Full Version : New Forest Fires Near Hot Springs.

The Cleaner
04-21-2016, 21:13
http://www.citizen-times.com/story/sports/outdoors/girls-gone-outdoors/2016/04/21/wildfire-close-appalachian-trail-near-hot-springs/83357404/ New this evening.

The Cleaner
04-21-2016, 22:19
I can smell smoke here in Greeneville about 20 air miles from the fires.It now look's like a pretty good bunch of rain is coming tonight but more is needed.Several TrailJournals posts tell of low or no spring water at some parts of the trail as far north as southwest VA.

The Cleaner
04-22-2016, 10:26
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/wildfire-forces-road-closures-in-cocke-county/148001218

Secondmouse
04-22-2016, 12:38
this is quite a lot of fires - 4 separate fires by my count, maybe more - along the TA. in addition to at least one that I know of in the Talledega Forest section of the Pinhoti trail.

all are thought to being human caused. I wonder if anyone is asking about arson?..

blue indian
04-22-2016, 13:37
Will there be any trail closures due to fire?

Mr. Bumpy
04-22-2016, 14:10
Friday 4/22 Forest Service press release says that AT from Hot Springs to Hurricane gap and many of the popular side trails are closed. I don't see how they can possibly monitor that. It is raining in Asheville and expected to into the night.

blue indian
04-22-2016, 14:15
Friday 4/22 Forest Service press release says that AT from Hot Springs to Hurricane gap and many of the popular side trails are closed. I don't see how they can possibly monitor that. It is raining in Asheville and expected to into the night.

Im suppose to walk from Hot Springs to Damascus in a week. This could totally throw my plans off...

Any idea how long the closures are suppose to last?

Mr. Bumpy
04-22-2016, 14:23
Fires up there typically don't last that long, but it is very dry. There have been multiple fires popping up around here for the past week - 10 days which is a little bit early. You can go to www.fs.usda.gov/nfsnc (http://www.fs.usda.gov/nfsnc) and surf around for their releases and you can subscribe to get e-mail updates.

blue indian
04-22-2016, 14:29
Fires up there typically don't last that long, but it is very dry. There have been multiple fires popping up around here for the past week - 10 days which is a little bit early. You can go to www.fs.usda.gov/nfsnc (http://www.fs.usda.gov/nfsnc) and surf around for their releases and you can subscribe to get e-mail updates.

Thanks! Lets hope some of this rain will help

Mr. Bumpy
04-22-2016, 14:31
I wouldn't change plans if it were me.

The Cleaner
04-22-2016, 14:34
this is quite a lot of fires - 4 separate fires by my count, maybe more - along the TA. in addition to at least one that I know of in the Talledega Forest section of the Pinhoti trail.

all are thought to being human caused. I wonder if anyone is asking about arson?.. According to local news,arson is suspect in several of the fires.

The Cleaner
04-22-2016, 14:42
Im suppose to walk from Hot Springs to Damascus in a week. This could totally throw my plans off...

Any idea how long the closures are suppose to last? 423-638-4109 is the phone # of the Nolichucky District Ranger Station here.They should be able to update you on trail closings.There may still be some fire fighters moping up hot spots for several days.Some roads may remain closed but the trail should be open.We had about 1/2 inch of rain today and things should be a little better.

Secondmouse
04-23-2016, 13:59
According to local news,arson is suspect in several of the fires.

damn, I was afraid of that. though there may have been more fires not directly impacting the hiking trails, it just seemed suspicious to me of the timing and proximity...

The Cleaner
04-23-2016, 16:24
damn, I was afraid of that. though there may have been more fires not directly impacting the hiking trails, it just seemed suspicious to me of the timing and proximity... On this side of the AT here in TN,we only had 2" of rain in March.This was the main reason the forest dried up so quick.Also March was the warmest on record for average daily temps.Now in April rainfall has also been below normal.This also accounts for the large number of hikers still on the trail.Usually a few spring snow storms sends many hikers off the trail,some don't come back.