PDA

View Full Version : my final gear list, starting in harpers ferry on may 4th (flip-flop)

Platypus2016
04-21-2016, 22:10
Just wanted to post my final gear list,,, well more pictures but ill list most of it (saving energy for the trail and all.... :-?)

The only things not in these pictures is my Vivobarefoot ultra II's (white because they were 30$ cheaper in my size 13), replacing the plastic spoon with a TOAKS long handle spoon with polished bowl, and my clothes..

Clothes:
Injinji toe sock liners, thins (2pair)
darn tough socks (2pair, one ankle, one calf)
Exofficio boxer briefs (2 pair)
thin poly qwik-dri shirts (cheap walmart, but very light and breathable) (two)
gym shorts qwik-dri (cheap walmart, but comfy and have pockets) (two)
half buff
bandana
face bug net
Big Agnes trucker hat
Big agnes "pitch a tent" shirt (for camp and town) (80/20 blend super comfy)

Big three:
Hill People Gear Ute w/ Tarapocket
Big Agnes encampment 15degree
Big Agnes seedhouse SL1
Big Agnes aircore pad

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u363/Platypus_2016/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160421_102422359_zpsyfjqqcuk.jpg (http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/Platypus_2016/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160421_102422359_zpsyfjqqcuk.jpg.html)

Water:
Sawyer squeeze
Sawyer coupler ring
Platypus 2liter bladder w/ optional hydration tube (probably will get sent back)
Platypus 1liter bladder
bottom of plastic cup
backflushing syringe (probably send home since coupler makes backflushing possible)

Spice bag:
Random spices (ie red pepper flakesm parm cheese,)
Extra virgin Olive Oil
Hot Sauce
Salt and Pepper blend
Straws (for drinking soup from my freezer bag cooking)

Toilet paper
Wet ones

Chemicals:
Poison Ivy/sumac/oak/bug bite itch reliever
germ-x (also use for fire starting in hard times)
Medicated body powder..
soap tabs
air matress patch kit
deet100%
carmex

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u363/Platypus_2016/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160421_103713467_zpszrkuwycc.jpg (http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/Platypus_2016/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160421_103713467_zpszrkuwycc.jpg.html)

Kitchen:
cheap (but light stove) not sure of brand
pop up rubber cup
piece of toothbrush to clean pot with
12x12inch aluminum foil
gas can
cheap, but light 5cup pot (worls great, and everything fits inside except the stove which has its own bag

Bear bag kit:
50ft paracord (might cut to 30ft)
maui jim sunglass pouch to put rock in for throwing paracord

Poop hole digger lol
2light carabiners

Electronics:
small mp3
headphones
wall charger with 2 usb outlets
2 usb to mini usb cords (one short one longer)
energizer head lamp (will probably buy the first rechargeable one I see that isn't over 50$)
Power bank 50,000MaH external battery (really performs more like a 16-20kMaH one, but cant beat it for the price, and its fairly light.) **might replace with a quality 22,500MaH that I saw at best buy for 40 that had the wall plug in already built in**
And I have a Motorola Droid Turbo 2 with VERIZON (thank god, had AT&T last year and it was horrible) in an otter box

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u363/Platypus_2016/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160421_104958565_zpsyd4fh30x.jpg (http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/Platypus_2016/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160421_104958565_zpsyd4fh30x.jpg.html)

Extra's:

Zip ties
Rubber bands
2 clothes pins
1 Flare (for starting fire when wet, worked amazingly last year, it is heavy so im just bringing one)
**ditched toe warmers**
emergency blanket ** thinking about leaving home or sending home pretty soon**

Cotton Balls

Bleach (back up water purification)

Toothpaste, toothbrush, tip of razor

Emergency fire starting kit (took waterproof matches, rolled in TP, dipped in tea candle wax)
**will just be bringing the green waterproof container, the rest is just to show how I made the emergency matches, they will burn under water, and last about 5 minutes with a HUGE flame, very amazing**

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u363/Platypus_2016/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160421_110811147_zpssrsz794y.jpg (http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/Platypus_2016/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160421_110811147_zpssrsz794y.jpg.html)

Hill People Gear Runners Kit Bag W/
Tyvek wallet
mini bic
medication
pen and paper

**picture below is my EDC, not all items will be coming with, only the ones I listed**
http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u363/Platypus_2016/kit%20bag%20on%20truck_zpshl8vdtv4.jpg (http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/Platypus_2016/media/kit%20bag%20on%20truck_zpshl8vdtv4.jpg.html)

LUXURY:

Helinox Chair one (1.8lbs... get over it lol, I wanted a chair SO bad last year I decided to make the room for it)

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u363/Platypus_2016/Mobile%20Uploads/received_10101013502689984_zpslicbqlsf.jpeg (http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/Platypus_2016/media/Mobile%20Uploads/received_10101013502689984_zpslicbqlsf.jpeg.html)

My total pack weight with everything including 4-5 days food and 1 liter of water is 30.6lbs, not including my kit bag (wears across chest, it weighs 2.4lbs)

Any suggestions would be appreciated, but I am pretty sure that everything I have listed here is going to come, might not last long, but please point anything out you see fit to, it might make me reconsider. BUT BUT BUT.... the chair will not be staying at home, it is the ONE thing I am taking as a luxury item that has weight to it in my opinion, I don't have a flask, so there is my trade off lol.

Alex "Platypus"

PS: Big thanks to my sponsors for this years hike: Hillpeoplegear.com sawyerproducts.com bigagnes.com deathwishcoffee.com, these are some great companies that want to help hikers, all you need to do is ask and they will do everything in their power to help answer any questions you have, and they all make top notch products!

Platypus2016
04-21-2016, 22:17
I forgot to mention my Rain gear, which is just a north face waterproof multi zip jacket, which I also use for colder mornings, will buy a puffer when I get into the whites.

And that I am seriously thinking about bringing a pair of thick wool socks for sleeping in since I don't bring thermals or leggings.

Platypus

squeezebox
04-22-2016, 05:34
Nice list, I sure hope you don't advertise on the trail that you have a gun.

Miel
04-22-2016, 05:59
Nice list, I sure hope you don't advertise on the trail that you have a gun.

What will you use the gun for?

egilbe
04-22-2016, 06:18
Was a gun in his list? I didn't see it listed.

Platypus2016
04-22-2016, 08:02
Thank you egilbe, at least you actually read my list, no a gun was not listed. I specifically said that that picture was just to show the runner's kit bag, and that the only items being taken were what I listed. I just didn't want to go get the kit bag out and take a picture lol, but I guess I should have known that it would be too much to ask for everyone to actually read what I wrote.

But if I wanted to carry a gun on the trail, I would be free to do so in all but 4 States (that don't have reciprocity for my States concealed carry permit) and any of the state parks that don't allow it. If would just be extra weight that someone would have to carry, but if they were doing it legally... More power to them IMO

But I didn't even carry a pocket knife last year and managed just fine...

Platypus

PS: the one guy who did hike with a pistol last year (that I knew about) maybe me feel less safe instead of more safe, just by his actions, and his desire to take it out and show everyone. Most people aren't like that. But in my 600+ miles last year he was the only one I KNEW had a weapon.

Deacon
04-22-2016, 08:29
Clothes:
Injinji toe sock liners, thins (2pair)
darn tough socks (2pair, one ankle, one calf)

I too wore Injinji liners and Darn Tough wool socks last year. I found this combination very hot, even with non waterproof trail runners. If you think about it, what is the purpose of wool if it doesn't contact the skin and liners are worn underneath?

This year I'll continue using the Injinji's but I'm going to switch to thin nylon socks to facilitate faster drying and color feet.

Platypus2016
04-22-2016, 08:35
I too wore Injinji liners and Darn Tough wool socks last year. I found this combination very hot, even with non waterproof trail runners. If you think about it, what is the purpose of wool if it doesn't contact the skin and liners are worn underneath?

This year I'll continue using the Injinji's but I'm going to switch to thin nylon socks to facilitate faster drying and color feet.

Last year I wore just the darn tough socks, and no liners,but I had major blister problems in the beginning (before I switched to Keen boots) once they healed, I would occasionally get blisters between my toes and on the outside of my pinky toe, And of course on the back of my ankle... My shoes fit perfectly, I just have "tender" feet (as I grimice using those words to describe anybpart of me lol, I'm 6'3" 280, was a collegiate athelete.... With wimpy feet haha)

JumpMaster Blaster
04-22-2016, 16:46
What will you use the gun for?

Is it that he has a gun at all, or whether or not he wants to carry it on the AT? Some people carry 5 pound tents, some don't. I saw a lot of things that could be replaced with a different version to lighten his load, but the firearm isn't the first thing I homed in on...

egilbe
04-22-2016, 16:52
Is it that he has a gun at all, or whether or not he wants to carry it on the AT? Some people carry 5 pound tents, some don't. I saw a lot of things that could be replaced with a different version to lighten his load, but the firearm isn't the first thing I homed in on...

Some people lose their minds over firearms...talk about packing irrational fears.

JumpMaster Blaster
04-22-2016, 16:56
Platypus, not sure what your budget it, but you have a few things that could be swapped out with much lighter versions. If I may-

1) That Primus stove is a lead balloon. Spend $35 and get an MSR Pocket Rocket that weighs half as much as the Primus. Weight savings 3 oz
2) Get a lighter trowel. $35 for a QiWiz Big Dig titanium trowel. Weight savings- 2.4 oz
3) First aid kit???
4) Your dog's paws look exactly like mine, lol. What breed?

Hapy trails.

dudeijuststarted
04-22-2016, 17:02
You ever see how they have the dried up shrunken heads? Well he's had this for years, he praises it, all he does is bring it out in his drunken stupor in front of his friends.

Platypus2016
04-22-2016, 17:31
Platypus, not sure what your budget it, but you have a few things that could be swapped out with much lighter versions. If I may-

1) That Primus stove is a lead balloon. Spend $35 and get an MSR Pocket Rocket that weighs half as much as the Primus. Weight savings 3 oz
2) Get a lighter trowel. $35 for a QiWiz Big Dig titanium trowel. Weight savings- 2.4 oz
3) First aid kit???
4) Your dog's paws look exactly like mine, lol. What breed?

Hapy trails.

Haha, my dog is an English Bull Terrier

Yea I thought about replacing the stove, I guess I'll buy the first pocket rocket I come across, I think Amazon has a generic one for like 10$ that has great reviews. I'll look into the cheaper trowel. Thanks for the constructive criticism. I also want to replace my headlamp, and maybe my external battery, there isn't any good outdoor stores where I live, and some items I like to see in person before I buy (such as headlamp)

Going to check Amazon right now for stove, I have 1 week to get it to me..

Platypus

Platypus2016
04-22-2016, 17:40
Oh and i have a first aid kit, it's just a basic one with lots of vitamin I, bandages, moleskin, Alister relief patches, and some benadryl for sleep and itching.

Platypus

Miel
04-22-2016, 21:32

The AT. It's right there in the pic. (Yeah yeah, I see where Platypus said something like, someone who actually read the list, and right to carry and all. I regard lists as pics as well as texts. And it's right there in the pic, prominently.) (I personally like Daryl's crossbow and Morgan's bo, but I expect to run into neither fictional characters nor zombies on the trail. Just ijits the the polluters and tree-defacers in Tipi's video on another thread.)

Greenlight
04-22-2016, 21:53
I'm not the shakedown guy :(

But something I learned in the Smokies, that is both cheap and easy to do, is get a roll of clear Gorilla Tape, and transfer it to one of your trekking poles. You can use it for dozens of things, the most important of which is instantly stopping hot spots from turning into blisters, and patching tiny holes in your rain gear. It costs three bucks, just do it. Or not...its up to you.

Platypus2016
04-22-2016, 23:17
I'm not the shakedown guy :(

But something I learned in the Smokies, that is both cheap and easy to do, is get a roll of clear Gorilla Tape, and transfer it to one of your trekking poles. You can use it for dozens of things, the most important of which is instantly stopping hot spots from turning into blisters, and patching tiny holes in your rain gear. It costs three bucks, just do it. Or not...its up to you.

Thanks for the input, yes I use leki trekking poles, and I have duct tape around one of them, I have heard good things about the gorilla tape though... Maybe I should switch it out...

ANYONE WORRIED ABOUT THE GUN IN THE PICTURE PLEASE READ THIS: I specifically said that is my EDC(everyday carry) that is what goes with me in my car to work or anywhere else I go, if I leave the house.. That goes with me. I ALSO SPECIFICALLY said that only the things I listed would be taken in the runner's kit bag. I dropped a wallet in a hitch lasr year( so lucky he came back as I was trying to figure out what j was going to do) and lost my phone twice from carrying it in my short pockets, they would fall out when I sat down, so anything I thing is something I can't tsjeba chance of loosing IE: medication, wallet, phone, possibly that days page from my map....and it is a great place to store a few snacks :)

JumpMaster Blaster
04-23-2016, 10:11
Haha, my dog is an English Bull Terrier

Yea I thought about replacing the stove, I guess I'll buy the first pocket rocket I come across, I think Amazon has a generic one for like 10$ that has great reviews. I'll look into the cheaper trowel. Thanks for the constructive criticism. I also want to replace my headlamp, and maybe my external battery, there isn't any good outdoor stores where I live, and some items I like to see in person before I buy (such as headlamp)

Going to check Amazon right now for stove, I have 1 week to get it to me..

Platypus

Ah, I have an American Bulldog. Paws look exactly alike. As for the stove, I'd really suggest going with the MSR, but if you're comfortable with the generic, hey go for it (not my money you're spending). The QiWiz trowel is SUPER light and has a sharper edge that really gets into hard soil. I dug a proper 6" cathole in my backyard in under a minute (no, I didn't deposit anything in it!).
+1 on the tape. I actually used quite a bit of mine last year making repairs, covering hotspots, etc.

MtDoraDave
04-24-2016, 15:26
If the Droid Turbo 2 has a battery that is removable, buy a spare battery or two. Lighter and smaller than the power bank ... though, I suppose you can use the power bank for your other electronics.

My cell phone lasts 4 days in Airplane mode. It's mainly used for taking pics whenever I see a shot I have to have. I check signal occasionally so I can upload a pic to facebook so my worrying friends know I'm alive. :)

Platypus2016
04-24-2016, 15:37
I have also just changed my tent, I purchased the copper spur ul1 Mtnglo with footprint (for fast fly set up) so that will change things up a little.

-platypus

Platypus2016
04-24-2016, 16:30
So as long as the copper spur is as nice as I think it is going to be, I will be selling the seedhouse SL1, it's a great tent, and lighter, I just wanted a side entrance, and the opportunity came to buy one new, so I took if.

Platypus

Cheyou
04-24-2016, 16:51
No pocket knife ! How do u eat French bread and cheese or watermelon cut fresh tomatoes. ;0)

Platypus2016
04-24-2016, 20:34
No pocket knife ! How do u eat French bread and cheese or watermelon cut fresh tomatoes. ;0)

You tsar open the razor you never use! Problem solved lol

Platypus2016
04-24-2016, 20:35
Tear* is what I meant to say