PDA

View Full Version : Still planning

gracebowen
04-22-2016, 11:01
Wow a year has gone by. Ive lurked alot. I still wanna do the trail in four years.
My daughter not so much.

Still planning a Harpery Ferry head start. Still planning alot of mail drops.

I lost 14 pounds. Down to 176. Im starting to see why it costs so much to hike the trail but im still trying to find ways to cut costs. I will try to buy almost thing new or at full retail price.

Oh also in the last year ive been transitioning my wardrobe and will continue to do so. When I shop for clothes I look for things that arent cotton. Im getting used to wearing them. If I need a new shirt I might as well buy one that is double duty right and when the time comes I'll already have the clothes.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

If I stay in shelters mostly do yall think a cheaper tent will hold up for the whole hike ?

I ve looked on ebay and saw several in the $50 range under 5 lbs.

Venchka
04-22-2016, 11:39
Cheap is rarely if ever economically sound. Buy quality once. The TarpTent ProTrail, Notch or Rainbow will keep you dry and bug free for many miles. All 3 are 2 pounds or less. The gear you will need in 4 years isn't on the market yet. Focus on loosing more weight and building strength and stamina.
Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

bigcranky
04-22-2016, 11:51
The Six Moons Designs Skyscape Scout is $125, weighs about 2 pounds, and will last a long time with some basic care. It's definitely worth saving a little more cash for a decent tent, since when you really need it (the ^&*% is hitting the fan, weather-wise), you won't care how much it cost, just how well it handles the weather. Also, if you plan to stay in shelters and not use the tent much, you'll be way happier with a 2 pound tent than a 5 pound tent.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/SkyscapeScout.html

Good luck with the planning, and congrats on the weight loss.

moldy
04-22-2016, 13:22
I plan each days hike to end at a shelter and well over 90 percent of the time It's not full so I sleep there. I try to start early every day, and stop early enough so I can find a space in the shelter. I used to carry a small cheap tent that weighed about 2 lbs. I found that it was such a waste of weight so I switched to a tiny thin emergency tarp that weighs 1 lb.(More of a large plastic sheet) It takes up little space and gets used rarely. If you are a tent camper then get a good tent. If you are a shelter rat like me then you need something lighter. Don't go too cheezy because eventually you will sleep in it in the rain. See ya at the shelter.