PDA

View Full Version : Hot flashes at night! How do you cope when on the trail?

Onemorehill
04-22-2016, 13:38
I know there are a number of us ladies "of a certain age" on the trail. I'm planning to do a long section of the AT next May, and as I lay awake last night after my 4th major hot flash of the night (in my bed at home) I wondered: How the heck do you cope with all the sweat on a cold night on the trail???

Traffic Jam
04-22-2016, 20:08
That is a great question and I'm sorry no one has responded. It's not something I have to deal with yet but can see how it might be difficult to hike/sleep in cold weather in wet clothing. I wonder if using a synthetic sleeping bag during this time would be better than down? It seems you'd definitely need extra clothing.

Stitches
04-22-2016, 21:47
I'm planning a section hike in June, and I have had the same concern. The sweat isn't the problem so much as the fact that I typically have to get up and pee every time I have a flash, which can be 3-4 times a night. I am planning a quilt that I can throw off to let the heat dissipate rather than a bag.

Onemorehill
04-22-2016, 23:01
Yes, I will be using a quilt, too. But the sweat pours in torrents for a good 7-10 minutes. Then it takes a while to evaporate even with no covers. I'm beginning to wonder if I need to try hormone therapy for the time that I will be on the trail. Hmmmm........

And Stitches, I hear you about getting up every time. Ugh. It's going to be cold, no matter what we do.

Stitches
04-22-2016, 23:15
I tried hormone therapy for awhile---it takes 6 weeks to attain a therapeutic dose, so you would have to plan ahead. It helped---I still had flashes, but they were significantly less intense.

BonBon
04-22-2016, 23:18
Oddly enough- my hot flashes stopped happening after about 4 weeks and stayed gone until about after I got home. Hot flash free from Va-ME

Onemorehill
04-24-2016, 16:33
Oddly enough- my hot flashes stopped happening after about 4 weeks and stayed gone until about after I got home. Hot flash free from Va-ME

Well, THAT would sure be nice! :banana

Farr Away
04-25-2016, 15:34
Yes, I will be using a quilt, too. But the sweat pours in torrents for a good 7-10 minutes. Then it takes a while to evaporate even with no covers. I'm beginning to wonder if I need to try hormone therapy for the time that I will be on the trail. Hmmmm........

And Stitches, I hear you about getting up every time. Ugh. It's going to be cold, no matter what we do.

Maybe instead of just letting it dissipate, you could use an auto-dry towel to try to dry off a little quicker?

At home, I use a damp washcloth to remove the sweat then dry with a towel (if it's cold).

-FA

Onemorehill
04-25-2016, 16:13
Maybe instead of just letting it dissipate, you could use an auto-dry towel to try to dry off a little quicker?

At home, I use a damp washcloth to remove the sweat then dry with a towel (if it's cold).

-FA
That's a good suggestion. I will try it out.

TwoSpirits
04-25-2016, 16:22
I really struggled with bad hot flashes as well. Waking up in a soaked sleeping bag is far worse than waking up in soaked sheets, but after I bought a down bag I really worried about it even more. Went to my GYN and started hormone replacement therapy. Problem solved. And it has also helped a whole long list of other nagging issues, too.

I would really recommend seeing your doctor and discussing HRT.

Miel
04-26-2016, 07:19
I really struggled with bad hot flashes as well. Waking up in a soaked sleeping bag is far worse than waking up in soaked sheets, but after I bought a down bag I really worried about it even more. Went to my GYN and started hormone replacement therapy. Problem solved. And it has also helped a whole long list of other nagging issues, too.

I would really recommend seeing your doctor and discussing HRT.

But please avoid Premarin. Anything from mares, the animals and their foals suffer.

gypsyheart
05-27-2016, 15:13
Stitches, which section? I am 59 and am section hiking from TN/NC to somewhere in VA. I take Black Cohosh for hot flashes and although, it doesn't make them go away, I've had them less often and less severely. I am leaving June 1 and will be hiking as far as I can get until June 30. If you are around, look for me! Blondish hair mostly braided, short, chubby, big floppy straw hat! Walk fast with short legs. Osprey pack, Nemo one person tent.