PDA

View Full Version : 20+ mpd hiking

jefals
04-22-2016, 13:42
When I'm backpacking, I feel like I've done a good day's work after 6 or 8 miles. I'm wondering if, for you folks that do over 20, is it actually enjoyable hiking? I know, if you're thru-hiking, you HAVE to put in those kinds of days, and I'm thinking the satisfaction comes from accomplishing the goal, meeting the challenge. But it's hard for me to imagine that it's really enjoyable....am I wrong?

DuneElliot
04-22-2016, 13:54
I think it comes down to the fact that after hiking every day for several weeks after you get your "trail legs", 20 miles in a day feels like 8 miles. It also has to do with terrain, trail quality, inclines etc.

Stevep311
04-22-2016, 14:00
When I'm backpacking, I feel like I've done a good day's work after 6 or 8 miles. I'm wondering if, for you folks that do over 20, is it actually enjoyable hiking? I know, if you're thru-hiking, you HAVE to put in those kinds of days, and I'm thinking the satisfaction comes from accomplishing the goal, meeting the challenge. But it's hard for me to imagine that it's really enjoyable....am I wrong?

I am sure you'll get all different types of answers because everyone is different. Here is my feeling.....I generally get up around sunrise and begin hiking 30 minutes later. Let say this is 7am-ish. If I hike a a very reasonable pace of 1.5 mph and finish at 6pm allowing for several breaks that allows for approx 15 miles. This is a very comfortable and enjoyable day for me.

On the other hand, I recently tried do the 72 miles in the Smokies in 2 days. It was just one of those personal challenges. I still really enjoyed myself but as you can imagine it was quite a different experience!

HYOH!

saltysack
04-22-2016, 14:01
Over the years my mpd has slowly increased.....after my last hike of the FHT....77 miles in 3.5 days I agree there are times when I question my sanity but in the end I do enjoy a mental and physical challenge. I don't like sitting around camp more than an hour or so before dark .....I prefer to hike more do than camp when I'm solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
04-22-2016, 14:13
I hike what I feel like.
In warm weather Im up and hiking at 430 am lots of days
The best hour of the day is the hour befire sunrise.
In cold weather maybe not until 8am
Usually go untill close to dark.
The miles take care of themself.
Most often 18-23
Occasionally more
Rarely under 15

I would hike 6-8 miles by 9am and have to sit around rest of day. No thanks.
People that enjoy hiking...hike.

Greenlight
04-22-2016, 14:20
I envision myself being an early riser, in most circumstances hiking until near dark. What happens between sun-up and sundown is a different story. I'm a "dilly-dallier." I'll stop at a perfect place just to drink it in. I write things down. I take pictures. I kick my boots off and take breaks. I'm also a hammock camper, so I don't give a flip if I "make it to the shelter" unless it's mandated. Even then, I believe in LNT so if I get chewed out for not sleeping in a shelter, I'll take the flogging and move on.

AO2134
04-22-2016, 14:23
We hike for different reasons at different paces, and we each get something out of hiking that is personal to us. It is silly to measure another person's enjoyment by your own standards. I do 15-20 mpd. I enjoy it. Is it hard? Sure, especially in the last few miles/hours. I get to 15-16 miles and my mind and/or body is like you know. . . that campsites looks pretty good, but I keep going. I get to the end of the day I start zombie hiking a bit. At that point, I am just putting in miles. It is only at that point I start to not enjoy hiking and it is only at that point, I start thinking about camping if I hadn't hit my goal before that zombie hiking point. Even after zombie hiking a couple of miles, the second I set up camp, I feel fine again. So the "zombie" hiking feeling only really applies while zombie hiking. There is no residual affect (at least not on me) once I finish hiking for the day.

There are plenty of those who will judge on both sides of the spectrum. The more deliberate hiker will say are you even enjoying hiking at that pace. Are you looking around you? Are you taking it in? To that hiker, the pace is either inconceivable as a physical feat in itself or it is inconceivable as a physical feat that can yield any sort of enjoyment. On the other end of the spectrum, you have "speed" hikers or big mile day hikers who can't conceive of a 6-8 mile day. Who struggle to understand what they would do with the rest of their morning and all afternoon.

This silliness needs to stop from both sides. I will say it again, because it bears repeating: We hike for different reasons at different paces, and we each get something out of hiking that is personal to us. It is silly to measure another person's enjoyment by your own standards or vice versa.

rafe
04-22-2016, 14:42
I can count all of my 20 or 20+ mile days on one or two hands. Mostly they were enjoyable, and happened just because I wasn't thinking too much about it. On my last really long AT section I typically walked 17 or 18 mile days and took a half day off every four or five days. But that was on relatively easy parts of the trail (not NH or ME.)

jefals
04-22-2016, 14:52
I hike what I feel like.
Most often 18-23
Occasionally more
Rarely under 15

Well, I enjoy hiking and I hike. But I don't enjoy getting up at 3 or 4 in the morning and hiking in the cold and dark. So I might be hiking from 9:30 till 3:30 or 4...

Hikingjim
04-22-2016, 14:57

Thru-hikers don't need to go 20 mpd. Unless they want to finish in around 110 days... which most don't

If you like to hike, have a light pack, and are in great shape, then 20 mpd can be very enjoyable.

Personally I prefer around 15 mpd average. But if I do that I never feel the least bit rushed, and take many long breaks at scenic spots, and maybe a siesta

12trysomething
04-22-2016, 15:02
They are all enjoyable, just different.

Days that I have gone over 20 end up being like 2 separate 10 mile days. I will get up and go, hiking until breakfast/break time which is usually about 3 miles. After I take off and go to about 1PM. I stop for lunch, set up my hammock and take a mid-day power nap. This whole break is usually about 60-90 minutes. After, I am up and feeling fresh with strong legs. I hike until about 8PM and stop for dinner and bed.

These days start at 5 and end at 8..15 hours long with about 12.5 of them hiking hours. You hit 20 miles with only a 1.6 MPH average.

The key for me is the mid-afternoon siesta. Those 60 minutes with my shoes off and feet up make all the difference.

AO2134
04-22-2016, 15:03
I hike what I feel like.
Most often 18-23
Occasionally more
Rarely under 15

I love hiking. I hate camping. I only camp because that is how I get to hike. So the idea of a 6-8 miles and setting up camp sounds like torture to me unless it is intentionally planned with some good friends. (this is incredibly rare).

That being said: We hike for different reasons at different paces, and we each get something out of hiking that is personal to us. It is silly to measure another person's enjoyment by your own standards or vice versa.

jefals
04-22-2016, 15:06
We hike for different reasons at different paces, and we each get something out of hiking that is personal to us. It is silly to measure another person's enjoyment by your own standards. I do 15-20 mpd. I enjoy it.
I agree a lot with what you said. What I was curious about is what you alluded to - what is it that we get out of those "grueling" hikes? Or is it not really all that "grueling" - (maybe I could be in better condition? )

Starchild
04-22-2016, 15:13
My take on it: On a thru you get a 'oneness' with the trail (along with your trail legs), it's what you do and who you are, a amazing state of being. It's not as you put it 'putting in a good day's work', but becoming something, getting in touch with something much deeper, a very pure essence with existence.

In that it's not a daily sense of accomplishment, it's a sense of being.

In terms of actual distance, that will vary with the hiker, but most thru hikers get regularly over 20 at times.But also it is understood that this is also relative, and mostly meaningless because the only real 'job' is to take the next step towards the next white blaze, and that's it in that every day is a accomplishment, a job well done just by the next step north, or resting up for the next step, it's all a job well done, every minute of every day. Not to say mistakes don't happen, going the wrong way, getting on a different trail accidently and need to backtrack, but then again it's part of the person's individual AT journey, and ultimately all good.

AO2134
04-22-2016, 15:19
I agree a lot with what you said. What I was curious about is what you alluded to - what is it that we get out of those "grueling" hikes? Or is it not really all that "grueling" - (maybe I could be in better condition? )

I enjoy the challenge of a hike that is difficult. Personally, I hike to get away from life. I hike also as a means of exercise. I hike also for the personal challenge.

I am a 250 lb man with a 25 lb -30 lb pack. My pack weight is irrelevant to me though. I understand how it could be very important to other people. No judgment intended on pack weight (another sensitive topic for hikers I've found).

My conditioning is such that I can do 13-15 mpd as if I hadn't hiked much at all. It is fairly easy to me. When I start to get passed that, it becomes difficult or a challenge. I start to have to work for miles. Eventually my pace starts to drop. Time, which was flying by before, starts to crawl. Towards the bitter end, it feels like I've hiked 30 minutes and it has only been 5-10 minutes. It feels like I've hiked 1/2 a mile and I probably only done 1/4. Towards the end I start to zombie hike. Now this may last depending on motivation for day between 1-3 hrs. Usually when I get to this point I am so close to my campsite goal that it doesn't last long. Sometimes I feel ambitious and want to make the next day even shorter so I keep willing my feet to move.

Now this last bit of zombie hiking has no impact on the other 6-8 hours of awesome hiking. Again, I don't feel it until the very end of a day and at that point the physical challenge usually takes over and I get joy from pushing thru the last mile or hour of my hike to get the goal.

So for me, it is not grueling at all until the very end of the day. The second I throw my pack down and sit down for 5-10 minutes, I feel like I could hike another mile or two. Of course, had I tried, I probably would go a 1/2 a mile and start zombie hiking again, but the point is that, at least for me, I don't continue to feel like a zombie when I make camp. I feel absolutely normal.

So, for me at least, the idea that a 20 mpd pace is grueling the whole day is an absolute myth. For the first 15ish miles, I feel no different keeping the 20 mpd pace as if I had decided to only do 15 and stop. It only becomes a challenge at the very end and at that point is when I begin to truly challenge myself, which for me gives me its own enjoyment.

saltysack
04-22-2016, 15:25
I love hiking. I hate camping. I only camp because that is how I get to hike. So the idea of a 6-8 miles and setting up camp sounds like torture to me unless it is intentionally planned with some good friends. (this is incredibly rare).

That being said: We hike for different reasons at different paces, and we each get something out of hiking that is personal to us. It is silly to measure another person's enjoyment by your own standards or vice versa.

Hiking 8 mpd would require a heavy arse pack!!! Lots of cold beer!

lonehiker
04-22-2016, 15:27
I've never had a thirty (30) mile day. Been close on several occasions but the 30 has eluded me. I'm not getting younger, so perhaps this summer...

To answer your question though. I hike early so easily have 8 miles in by 9ish. It is called hiking, therefore I hike. But, I do stop much earlier than the average long distance hiker. I have no qualms with setting up camp as early as 3:30 or so as long as I've met my re-supply mileage target.

DuneElliot
04-22-2016, 15:28
20 miles on the AT is not the same as 20 miles on the PCT

Odd Man Out
04-22-2016, 15:34
I don't do 20 MPD (at least I haven't), but I do more than 6 to 8. For me I just like walking and am less keen on camping or sitting in the woods, which are the other options when not walking. It's not because I feel compelled to make lots of miles, but if I get tired, I would prefer to keep walking and just walk slower. Some will say we should stop to smell the roses. In fact I do stop to smell the roses. I even take pictures of the roses to prove it ;-) So to answer your question, yes I really do find it enjoyable to just keep going. But if you want to stop, no problem. I'm likely to stop and say hello, but then move on. And if someone else wants to walk faster, I gladly step aside and let them pass.

ralph23
04-22-2016, 15:39
If I go out hiking...I want to hike. Most days start around 6 am and then hike until 9 pm. So with 15 hours of movement and occasional short breaks, hitting 28-32 miles per day is normal. Doesn't take an extreme level of fitness but it does take a mental commitment to getting in the miles.

Is it enjoyable? Absolutely. I have zero idea what you are taking in traveling at 6 miles per day. To each their own.

jefals
04-22-2016, 15:45

Hiking 8 mpd would require a heavy arse pack!!! Lots of cold beer!
Yeah, I probably shouldda mentioned I start out with a 50+ pound pack. :)
And again, I'm getting that most of you guys enjoy hiking well before sunrise, where I like to start feeling some warmth before I even get out of the tent....
Pack up, cook breakfast, - I'm kinda slow getting started. And I stop and take a bunch of pics during the day...

A02134 was talking about the zombie hiking at the end of the day. And that's what I meant by "grueling". I certainly didn't mean the whole day was grueling - but, when you get beat, it starts getting hard. This brings to mind the tines when you're really beat, and you just want to stop and rest - but you're on a narrow ridge, carrying that 503 pound pack, nowhere to take a break - just gotta keep going. Now that's grueling!

jefals
04-22-2016, 15:49
If I go out hiking...I want to hike. Most days start around 6 am and then hike until 9 pm. So with 15 hours of movement and occasional short breaks, hitting 28-32 miles per day is normal. Doesn't take an extreme level of fitness but it does take a mental commitment to getting in the miles.

Is it enjoyable? Absolutely. I have zero idea what you are taking in traveling at 6 miles per day. To each their own.
Yeah, I could NEVER walk 15 hours straight - even without a pack - and think of that as enjoyable! I'm glad to hear that there are those out there that do, tho. That's pretty admirable, IMO

saltysack
04-22-2016, 15:54
With 2 extended 45 breaks and short breaks every few hours I only avg about 2 mph. I'm not a gram weenie but do appreciate a lighter pack! Makes a huge difference! 50lbs sounds miserable to ME.....HYOH

tdoczi
04-22-2016, 16:00

i go hiking to hike. 6 to 8 miles just cant possibly use enough of the day for me. when i go out to spend my day hiking i spend my day hiking. invariably this ends up in me hiking a bit over 20 miles often. at times are those last 2 miles not really enjoyable? sure. but for lots of various reasons ive never concluded its any less enjoyable then stopping my day short. especially in places where you cant just stop anywhere. i'd rather suffer those last 3 miles of a 22 mile day then stop hiking at 2pm after only 15 miles. neither is enjoyable i guess really, i pick the one i find more satisfying.

there have been times i really wished i could and probably would have stopped but the realities of being on a section hike didnt allow it. its rare enough an occurrence that planning shorter to try and avoid it doesnt seem worth it. if have until end of day sunday to hike and i get back to my car at 10am, in my mind i planned poorly and didnt use my time wisely.

OCDave
04-22-2016, 16:07
Jefals,

I hope when I reach 69 I am still able to hike outside, 6-8 miles a day. I hope that by the time I reach that age I've seen more of the world. For now, I hike further and faster than you because there is still much I need to see.

jefals
04-22-2016, 16:09
With 2 extended 45 breaks and short breaks every few hours I only avg about 2 mph. I'm not a gram weenie but do appreciate a lighter pack! Makes a huge difference! 50lbs sounds miserable to ME.....HYOH

2 mph, that's probably what I'm doing too. But I'm not up that early or hiking that late. .Regarding the pack - this is for the pct desert. The pack isn't too terrible, most of the day. But I have a problem with my right shoulder, and the hardest part is actually getting the thing on. So, once I do have my pack on, it doesn't come off till the day is done.

jefals
04-22-2016, 16:16
there have been times i really wished i could and probably would have stopped but the realities of being on a section hike didnt allow it. its rare enough an occurrence that planning shorter to try and avoid it doesnt seem worth it. if have until end of day sunday to hike and i get back to my car at 10am, in my mind i planned poorly and didnt use my time wisely.
Got it...I'm retired now, so I have whatever time I need to complete a section. So that's definitely another factor I didn't consider.

jefals
04-22-2016, 16:20
Jefals,

I hope when I reach 69 I am still able to hike outside, 6-8 miles a day. I hope that by the time I reach that age I've seen more of the world. For now, I hike further and faster than you because there is still much I need to see.

Thanks OCDave. Keep doing what you're doing now, and you won't have any problems when you get to be an "old geezer" like me!☺
I wish I had done more hiking when I was younger!

nsherry61
04-22-2016, 16:33
I used to plan on averaging 10 miles per day, carrying my 60 lb pack. That meant getting up, cooking breakfast, cleaning and packing, maybe on the trail by two hours or so after sunrise if I got up at sunrise. Then hiking, I'd take lots of short breaks from my 60 lb backpack. Stopping early was a great break from carrying that 60 lb pack, and then I'd enjoy a short hike around camp or up some hill, or around the lake without my pack.

Then, I started getting smart and realized that backpacking with a 60 lb pack wasn't really all the much fun, but there were lots of areas I could hike into in a day, pitch camp, then day hike to the tops of mountains or beautiful valleys all the while, returning to my base camp at night and only having a day-pack during the day.

Now, I'm even more "sophisticated". I carry practically nothing on my back compared to the past. I camp with minimal gear and frequently cowboy camp, so there isn't much setup or breakdown time at either end of my day. I cook meals when I'm hungry and near water, which is often not at camp, so plopping down for the night really is little more than rolling out my sleeping bag/quilt and going to sleep. I no longer have to carry a 60 lb pack or go back to my base camp each night, I just "day-hike" from one place to the next with my sleeping and eating gear on my back so I can stop when I please. I rarely rest with my pack off because I barely notice it's there. My scenic day hike around the lake doesn't require me to return to my base camp, I can just keep going.

In the end, I get up when I please, I eat breakfast wherever and whenever I please (often after hiking a bit to warm up and get hungry), I stop and rest when I please, I take detours when I please, and when I am done walking for the day, I stop and roll out by bed and go to sleep. Somehow, my aimless, relaxed, meandering walk is generally between 15 and 25 miles per day in the west, in the White Mountains it seems to be being more like 10-15. I see far more scenery than I used to, and at times it is hard to stop walking because, I want to see what is around the next bend.

garlic08
04-22-2016, 16:42
Thru-hikers don't need to go 20 mpd. Unless they want to finish in around 110 days... which most don't....

The game changes on the Western trails, of course. They're longer and have a shorter hiking season.

This is common lore, but it can be subjective. I hiked the PCT first with an 19.2 mpd average (138 days including 14 zeroes). I hiked the AT a few years later with a 20.3 mpd average (107 days including 3 zeroes), and thought it was quite a bit easier (note the fewer rest days). I think your first long trail is your hardest, no matter which one it is.

To the OP, I started hiking 20+ mpd in order to be able to thru-hike the Western trails. It was a tool that allowed me to achieve a goal at first, as you ask in your post, but then it became enjoyable by itself. I like getting to a high point near the end of my day and not be able to even see where I started that day. I also enjoy being able to carry less food and water for a given stretch of miles. On the AT I was able to pass up more difficult resupplies because the next easy town was only a day away. I can save some money, too--a shorter long hike is a cheaper hike.

Studlintsean
04-22-2016, 16:50
I have hiked a few 20 mile days but prefer a bit less (12-15 miles is a good workout after working in the office). That said, I often take my main hiking buddy who is now a 10 year old dog. This past winter (week between Christmas and NYE) I couldn't leave him again for a few days after getting back from my honeymoon so he came with me. We walked two 5 mile days (yes you read that correctly) and then a 10 mile day. I spent a lot of time in camp as you can imagine but that is what the old man can do nowadays. Did I enjoy it any less than the 12-15 mile days? Not one bit. Beats the hell out of sitting at home.

Point being, any amount of miles on the trail is better than a day in the office.

saltysack
04-22-2016, 16:56
Didn't realize your 69! What ever your doing rocks!! I'd be thrilled at 8 miles at nearly 70! Have fun!

Another Kevin
04-22-2016, 17:00
I'm a clueless weekender, so I never get my trail legs. Not really.

I plan 8-12 mile days, because that's what I know I can do comfortably right out of the gate. I stop and take lots of pictures. I tend to sleep in and putter about in the mornings because I can. (I always start a trip sleep-deprived.) And I walk slow.

But on a 138-mile hike a while ago - the longest trip I'd attempted in many years - I found that once I'd been at it for a week or so, the 8-12 that I planned would have me at my campsite mid-afternoon and still wanting to hike some more, so I boosted it to 12-15 instead. (15.4 was my longest day on that trip.) I could imagine that after a couple of weeks more of that, I might be in good enough hiking fettle to be pulling 20's.

evyck da fleet
04-22-2016, 17:01
For me 6-8 miles is an after work hike and alternative to going to the gym. I get up with the sun so I'll do about 8 miles in the first three hours. I would hate to be camping the rest of the day. If I go on a trip 12-18 is the norm and after a month on the AT, 24 miles was an easy day. The latter is about 9 hours of hiking, 15 minute breaks every couple of hours, a nice long lunch and plenty of time to set up my tent before crashing for the night.

jefals
04-22-2016, 17:23
I'm a clueless weekender, so I never get my trail legs. Not really.

I plan 8-12 mile days, because that's what I know I can do comfortably right out of the gate. I stop and take lots of pictures. I tend to sleep in and putter about in the mornings because I can. (I always start a trip sleep-deprived.) And I walk slow.

But on a 138-mile hike a while ago - the longest trip I'd attempted in many years - I found that once I'd been at it for a week or so, the 8-12 that I planned would have me at my campsite mid-afternoon and still wanting to hike some more, so I boosted it to 12-15 instead. (15.4 was my longest day on that trip.) I could imagine that after a couple of weeks more of that, I might be in good enough hiking fettle to be pulling 20's.
This sounds a lot like my attitude , too. But on my last long hike (my ONLY long hike) last November, I was out there for 3 weeks, and I don't think I ever got enough "trail legs" to ever want to do more than that 6 or 8 miles. As,said earlier, I was walking from 9:30 or 10 until 3:30 or 4, and that's what I liked. I would not have been walking during dark or cold hours, and I liked getting to camp with plenty of light and time left to set up.

Wülfgang
04-22-2016, 17:26
Like others have said, you build up the tolerance and stamina for high mileage. My longest day was 17 miles, and prior to that anything more than 6-8 miles was unfathomable to me. There's a big difference between 45 minutes on the stairmaster and 8 hours of hiking with weight on your back. Now after about 15 miles im ready to call it a day. But ive no doubt that if i hiked long trails or long days a few times a month i could get up to 20 mpd in sane terrain.

Also, i learned like saltysack that sitting in camp for more than an hour alone is boring as hell. So when im out solo, i walk.

Andrew Skurka coined the terms Ultimate Hikers and Ultimate Campers. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle, but your style can change over time.

egilbe
04-22-2016, 17:26
That said, I often take my main hiking buddy who is now a 10 year old dog. This past winter (week between Christmas and NYE) I couldn't leave him again for a few days after getting back from my honeymoon so he came with me. We walked two 5 mile days (yes you read that correctly) and then a 10 mile day. I spent a lot of time in camp as you can imagine but that is what the old man can do nowadays. Did I enjoy it any less than the 12-15 mile days? Not one bit. Beats the hell out of sitting at home.

Point being, any amount of miles on the trail is better than a day in the office.

How would your new bride feel about that? :D

rocketsocks
04-22-2016, 17:27
What's that old saying, oh yeah!

"Suck it up cupcake" :D

jefals
04-22-2016, 17:31
For me 6-8 miles is an after work hike and alternative to going to the gym. I get up with the sun so I'll do about 8 miles in the first three hours. I would hate to be camping the rest of the day. If I go on a trip 12-18 is the norm and after a month on the AT, 24 miles was an easy day. The latter is about 9 hours of hiking, 15 minute breaks every couple of hours, a nice long lunch and plenty of time to set up my tent before crashing for the night.

Each year I do a "walk for cancer", where you just walk around a high-school track. The event goes from 10 am Saturday till 10 am Sunday.
The longest I ever did was 8 hours one year, and my legs were killing me after those 8 hours!

Pedaling Fool
04-22-2016, 17:39
Each year I do a "walk for cancer", where you just walk around a high-school track. The event goes from 10 am Saturday till 10 am Sunday.
The longest I ever did was 8 hours one year, and my legs were killing me after those 8 hours!Just doing walks once in a while, in addition to a weekend hike here and there are not sustainable for lifelong health. You gotta do something virtually every day, that doesn't mean you have to kill yourself, but you gotta keep in motion. For me it's running, because it's much more efficient, both in work and time than simply walking. But I also do weights and my primary form of transportation is a bicycle. Sounds like a lot, but it's not, just have to know how to work it in.

jefals
04-22-2016, 17:39
Didn't realize your 69! What ever your doing rocks!! I'd be thrilled at 8 miles at nearly 70! Have fun!

Thanks, Saltysack, but I'm not sure about the age thing... I bet some of you 20+ guys are 69 or older, right???

jefals
04-22-2016, 17:41
The longest I ever did was 8 hours one year, and my legs were killing me after those 8 hours!Just doing walks once in a while, in addition to a weekend hike here and there are not sustainable for lifelong health. You gotta do something virtually every day, that doesn't mean you have to kill yourself, but you gotta keep in motion. For me it's running, because it's much more efficient, both in work and time than simply walking. But I also do weights and my primary form of transportation is a bicycle. Sounds like a lot, but it's not, just have to know how to work it in.
Yeah, I do. 70 flights of stairs, 40 minutes on an elliptical. 100 situps. 3 to 5 times per week. .

Pedaling Fool
04-22-2016, 17:59
Yeah, I do. 70 flights of stairs, 40 minutes on an elliptical. 100 situps. 3 to 5 times per week. .
That's good, but you've probably gotten yourself in a routine and routines are bad, because your body gets very use to doing those things, but anything else and the body revolts. The body is very lazy that way. That's why I mix it up a lot when I run, lift and even cycle. I don't do the same thing every time, always coming up with new goals.

You say you feel done after 6-8 miles of hiking. What exactly do you feel done about? In other words, what part of your body is not wanting to go any further?

Poedog
04-22-2016, 18:26
For me, enjoyment and happiness don't increase exponentially with the number of miles one covers in a day. For instance, covering 10-15 miles on an off trail, cross country route can be considerably harder, (and for me more enjoyable), than 30-35 miles on a trail like the AT or PCT. The left-brain is amused by the fact that it can cover (x) miles a day, but the right brain derives happiness from the subjective experience, problem solving on the fly, and the substantial increase in spacial awareness and sensory input. It's why sex is more fun than taxes.

I suspect that over time, those who truly enjoy their time spent outside are those who have, consciously or unconsciously, put their left-brain on a back burner to simmer while bringing the right brain to a boil. In other words, putting in a good days work, accomplishing a goal, and meeting a challenge are measurable left-brain byproducts of what hopefully was a right brain experience.

jefals
04-22-2016, 18:33
That's good, but you've probably gotten yourself in a routine and routines are bad, because your body gets very use to doing those things, but anything else and the body revolts. The body is very lazy that way. That's why I mix it up a lot when I run, lift and even cycle. I don't do the same thing every time, always coming up with new goals.

You say you feel done after 6-8 miles of hiking. What exactly do you feel done about? In other words, what part of your body is not wanting to go any further?
But then this kinda supports the position that thru hiking wouldn't be enjoyable, wouldn't it? Certainly hiking, daily, for months on end becomes routine pretty soon, right?

After 6 or 7 hours of hiking up and down mountains with 50 pounds on my back, my legs and back are tired. But that's ok, I'm good with that. I was trying to find out if some or all the 20 milers were in such conditioning that they found their days hiking those miles pleasurable - as opposed to the satisfaction you get from accomplishing something really difficult. I'm getting that for some of you, the enjoyment really is in the walking - in addition to the obvious pleasure you get from meeting the challenge.

saltysack
04-22-2016, 18:40
Like others have said, you build up the tolerance and stamina for high mileage. My longest day was 17 miles, and prior to that anything more than 6-8 miles was unfathomable to me. There's a big difference between 45 minutes on the stairmaster and 8 hours of hiking with weight on your back. Now after about 15 miles im ready to call it a day. But ive no doubt that if i hiked long trails or long days a few times a month i could get up to 20 mpd in sane terrain.

Also, i learned like saltysack that sitting in camp for more than an hour alone is boring as hell. So when im out solo, i walk.

Andrew Skurka coined the terms Ultimate Hikers and Ultimate Campers. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle, but your style can change over time.

I've never had a problem hitting 18-20 first day out...never been out more than 13 days and that was jmt....I hit the gym daily but I'm definitely not the average hiker build. More like a fire plug at 5'11" 215lbs...usually hike 10-12 hours per day. Just what works for me...

MuddyWaters
04-22-2016, 18:42
Well, I enjoy hiking and I hike. But I don't enjoy getting up at 3 or 4 in the morning and hiking in the cold and dark. So I might be hiking from 9:30 till 3:30 or 4...

I dont enjoy waking up after ~ 7 hrs sleep and just lying there. If go to bed at dark, or even before, I cannot sleep 10 + hrs. In colder weather below ~ 30 F or so, Ill sleep late because I dont like frigid pre sunrise starts so much either, but am laying there for several hrs. In warm weather, might as well get up and go.

I prefer to hike until 4 pm , eat dinner and rest for an hour, then hike a couple more miles, 2-5 or so , and find place to sleep.

tdoczi
04-22-2016, 18:54

maybe this is unusual, and its a little sad in a way if it is all that unusual. but i disagree. on my best, most enjoyable, most fulfilling days at work, i'd rather be there than hike 8 miles, finish by 1pm and then sit around all day. i dont know if thats a comment on how much i dislike that kind of "hiking" or on how much i, potentially, love my job some days. but it is what it is.

jefals
04-22-2016, 18:57

I dont enjoy waking up after ~ 7 hrs sleep and just lying there. If go to bed at dark, or even before, I cannot sleep 10 + hrs. In colder weather below ~ 30 F or so, Ill sleep late because I dont like frigid pre sunrise starts so much either, but am laying there for several hrs. In warm weather, might as well get up and go.
Yep - different strokes for different folks, as they say. During my working years, it was not unusual for me to be at the office when it was still pitch-black outside. But out on the trail -especially during the winter months -I have no desire to start walking before I see that ole sun!

mandolindave
04-22-2016, 19:01
Hiking around a track would strip me of motivation pretty quick. Curiosity of what's around the bend motivates me. A cheeseburger, meeting up with friends or getting alone can motivate me to hike faster. But sometimes just being outdoors is enough for me.

I end up altering my goals often, depending terrain, weather, scenery, pack weight, water availability, and which trail. There's so many variables. In the desert, slack packs are almost 20 lbs because of how much water you need. A did a 30 mile day, on a flat, soft, dry river bed, without trail legs, and felt fine. I've done a 7 mile uphill before 8 am and felt fine. I've done a 9 mile downhill day at The Grand Canyon, and felt beat up ( Snow at the top, 90 degrees at the bottom)

Bend the rules.

Studlintsean
04-22-2016, 19:02
How would your new bride feel about that? :D

Ha. Good thing we didn't sit at home on the honeymoon.

MuddyWaters
04-22-2016, 19:11
Yep - different strokes for different folks, as they say. During my working years, it was not unusual for me to be at the office when it was still pitch-black outside. But out on the trail -especially during the winter months -I have no desire to start walking before I see that ole sun!

Havent done it per se, but theres been times Ive thought as it was getting dark " I could just walk all night" and put in a ~ 50 mile day. I have grabbed only an hour sleep and a couple hours rest before continuing though. Not something you do all the time, but under certain situations it fits.

jefals
04-22-2016, 19:12
I prefer to hike until 4 pm , eat dinner and rest for an hour, then hike a couple more miles, 2-5 or so , and find place to sleep.
So now you have to set up camp in the dark?
That's another thing; I wouldn't trust my old peepers that much. If I was hiking at night and the trail forked, I'm not sure I'd notice, and I'd probably take the wrong fork. Or I might not see a perfectly good spot to camp, off to the side. And I'd probably have trouble just setting up in the dark.

So, getting back to what we find enjoyable, I guess it's not all about just stamina. Cause I know for me, regardless if I feel I've got tge strength to keep going, still I'm more comfortable, with my poor ole eyes, being set up before the sun goes down..

jefals
04-22-2016, 19:19
Hiking around a track would strip me of motivation pretty quick. Curiosity of what's around the bend motivates me. A cheeseburger, meeting up with friends or getting alone can motivate me to hike faster. But sometimes just being outdoors is enough for me.

I end up altering my goals often, depending terrain, weather, scenery, pack weight, water availability, and which trail. There's so many variables. In the desert, slack packs are almost 20 lbs because of how much water you need. A did a 30 mile day, on a flat, soft, dry river bed, without trail legs, and felt fine. I've done a 7 mile uphill before 8 am and felt fine. I've done a 9 mile downhill day at The Grand Canyon, and felt beat up ( Snow at the top, 90 degrees at the bottom)

Bend the rules.
I almost agree regarding being motivated, walking around the track. But we were raising $$$ for cancer - treatment and research. That gives me a hell of a lot of motivation ! :)
And, oh yeah. They DID give us cheeseburgers for lunch:)

MuddyWaters
04-22-2016, 19:31
That's another thing; I wouldn't trust my old peepers that much. If I was hiking at night and the trail forked, I'm not sure I'd notice, and I'd probably take the wrong fork. Or I might not see a perfectly good spot to camp, off to the side. And I'd probably have trouble just setting up in the dark.

So, getting back to what we find enjoyable, I guess it's not all about just stamina. Cause I know for me, regardless if I feel I've got tge strength to keep going, still I'm more comfortable, with my poor ole eyes, being set up before the sun goes down..

I have occasionally come to a place where I couldnt find the trail or was unsure and had to wait for it to get light. One of the reasons I prefer predawn hiking, to nighthiking after sunset. The wait is much shorter.

In warmer weather it dont get dark till late, no need to set up in dark. 0nce youve eaten earlier, all doing is pitching shelter and that takes 5 min and a 5x10 flat spot

Deadeye
04-22-2016, 20:24
But it's hard for me to imagine that it's really enjoyable....am I wrong?

Yes Grasshopper... you're wrong. You're trying to imagine what somebody else finds enjoyable. Imagine what you find enjoyable and do it.

nsherry61
04-22-2016, 20:41
. . . walk around a high-school track. . . my legs were killing me after those 8 hours!
Mine would be killing me after about 2 hours. My feet and knees can't stand walking on even surfaces, my muscles seem to need some amount of uneven terrain to provide varied muscle use or I get tired fast. In contrast my wife likes even surfaces and gets tired faster when uneven. Go figure.

saltysack
04-22-2016, 20:44

This is where the STUPID Light folks loose me.....carrying a pathetic headlamp to save an oz.....my zebra headlight is like gold to me...I don't like being limited by daylight....it lights up the trail when you really need it!

RockDoc
04-22-2016, 20:46
I've always been a strong hiker, so 20+ miles is no problem. A few years ago I did VA in 27 days at the age of 55.

But I no longer enjoy it much, and I do not recommend it unless a desperate situation demands it.

Our goal should be to avoid desperate situations... IMO.

dreamweaver21
04-22-2016, 21:06
I'm a section hiker so I only hike once a year but I run, workout, etc. during the rest of the year. I thoroughly enjoy the hiking but I just tolerate sleeping in a tent or hostel or whatever. Hanging around in camp is OK for an hour before bed but besides that and a lunch break, I want to be moving down the trail, that's just what I enjoy. I wake up at dawn most days whether I am hiking or not and my favorite time to walk is the late afternoon when it is starting to get cool. I just get a burst of energy when evening approaches, I'm not sure why. Given all that, 20 miles in a day melts away pretty quick.

CoolBobby
04-22-2016, 21:13

Yeah,for me your wrong. I still enjoy 20+ mile days. I hike hard and kind of fast, but I stop to smell the roses, fish, and check out nature. I normally break it up into 5 mile sections, and let it coincided with my meals... I don't always push for 20+, but anything under 10 for me is what I consider to be a nero. I am originally from Maine, so hiking was much more of an event. Now that I am down south, hiking is like walking in a hilly parking lot. Even the bears are smaller :-)

greenmtnboy
04-22-2016, 21:21
I averaged 20 plus miles most days in the toughest terrain. It took me a few days to hit the pace without real pain. I'm 6'6" so more of a strider according to the caretaker on Stratton. But then I did 100-200 or so mile sections, easier that way.

left52side
04-22-2016, 21:28
I generally hike roughly ten miles a day at a minimum in preparing for the AT next year.
I most every week do an overnight at least once A week and hike between 15 and 20 miles during the day.
Since I have stopped smoking cigarettes I have noticed my miles per hour have increased by a mile and half an hour,im now doing 3 1/2 miles an hour compared to my 2 or so when I smoked.
This is at a comfortable pace and not overdoing it at all,
I blazed 11 miles on Wednesday in 3 hours and 20 minutes and stopped for a late lunch and still felt amazing so continued after lunch and finished the loop totaling 23 miles that day in some florida heat.
I suppose it all depends on certain situations as well like weather,terrain,self, etc....
On optimal conditions when im feeling good twenty miles is nothing.
On conditions when im not feeling well or it is twenty miles all up or down or it is freezing or 100 degrees out then twenty miles will be considerably more difficult.

Spirit Walker
04-22-2016, 22:13
When I was in good hiking shape, 20 miles wasn't a big deal. It was about 10 hours of hiking, which was easy in midsummer when I'd start at 6:30 or so. On the PCT 20-25 was the equivalent of 18-20 on the AT, only 8 -10 hours of walking. Not a big deal. More than 25 and I'd get too tired to really enjoy the evening. Moreover, my feet ended up hurting a lot, throbbing when I tried to sleep at night. I avoided hiking more than 25, if I could. Usually it wasn't necessary.

I had one really long day on the CDT and one on the PCT, both in very dry areas where I needed to make big miles to get close to water. The first time, we did about 32 miles because the water source at 16 had 3 dead cows in the spring. We couldn't find any usable water until about 9:00 pm. Stumbling in the dark looking for the well was not fun. On the PCT we did about 29 coming over Hat Creek Rim. When we started looking for a place to dry camp, the land was volcanic with lots of rough rocks that made it difficult to find a place to set up a tent. We kept going until we found a usable campsite. Sometimes you do what you have to do. On the AT my longest days were usually into towns (i.e. Damascus and Hanover) so my pack was light and I had hunger driving me.

jefals
04-22-2016, 22:25
This is where the STUPID Light folks loose me.....carrying a pathetic headlamp to save an oz.....my zebra headlight is like gold to me...I don't like being limited by daylight....it lights up the trail
I'm not sure I would trust myself trying to hike in the dark with a headlamp....just don't think I can really see good enough. But, then, I haven't really tried it. I can see myself on a narrow, steep ridge, on a moonless night - and - there go the batteries!
So, I'm fumbling around, trying to change the batteries in the dark - and - one goes over the side! :).... I think I'll just wait till morning. .😠

jefals
04-22-2016, 22:37
When I was in good hiking shape, 20 miles wasn't a big deal. It was about 10 hours of hiking, which was easy in midsummer when I'd start at 6:30 or so. On the PCT 20-25 was the equivalent of 18-20 on the AT, only 8 -10 hours of walking. Not a big deal. More than 25 and I'd get too tired to really enjoy the evening. Moreover, my feet ended up hurting a lot, throbbing when I tried to sleep at night. I avoided hiking more than 25, if I could. Usually it wasn't necessary.

I had one really long day on the CDT and one on the PCT, both in very dry areas where I needed to make big miles to get close to water. The first time, we did about 32 miles because the water source at 16 had 3 dead cows in the spring. We couldn't find any usable water until about 9:00 pm. Stumbling in the dark looking for the well was not fun. On the PCT we did about 29 coming over Hat Creek Rim. When we started looking for a place to dry camp, the land was volcanic with lots of rough rocks that made it difficult to find a place to set up a tent. We kept going until we found a usable campsite. Sometimes you do what you have to do. On the AT my longest days were usually into towns (i.e. Damascus and Hanover) so my pack was light and I had hunger driving me.
This sounds like some AMAZING hiking! When I was on the PCT, my pace was a lot slower; I was only doing slightly over a mile an hour! Out here, walking on the asphalt trails in my neighborhood, carrying no weight and no climbing, I do 6.1 miles in an hour an 47 minutes - so, about 3.4 mph. That's a WHOLE LOT DIFFERENT than hikin the PCT tho!

jefals
04-22-2016, 22:44
thanks everyone for responding. I started this because I don't think I would ever find a 20 mile day enjoyable. To ne, ut woukd be almost like running a marathon!
was just curious if you guys that regularly do it really do like it, and glad to find you do!

rafe
04-22-2016, 23:01
On the AT my longest days were usually into towns (i.e. Damascus and Hanover) so my pack was light and I had hunger driving me.

I believe this is typical, I certainly experienced the same thing. Pack is light, you're extremely motivated, and usually going downhill. The exact opposite obtains when leaving town. Plus, your body's gone slack from not hiking and your belly is full of cheeseburgers, pizza and beer. Miles/day starts slow and ramps up after each town stop.

Verticals and gnarly footing are what slow you down on the AT, so one's walking speed in town is not a predictor of one's speed on the trail. Which, when all is said and done, is about 1.5 mile/hour for most successful thru hikers, who typically put in a 10 hour day to walk 15 miles.

Pedaling Fool
04-23-2016, 07:41
But then this kinda supports the position that thru hiking wouldn't be enjoyable, wouldn't it? Certainly hiking, daily, for months on end becomes routine pretty soon, right?

After 6 or 7 hours of hiking up and down mountains with 50 pounds on my back, my legs and back are tired. But that's ok, I'm good with that. I was trying to find out if some or all the 20 milers were in such conditioning that they found their days hiking those miles pleasurable - as opposed to the satisfaction you get from accomplishing something really difficult. I'm getting that for some of you, the enjoyment really is in the walking - in addition to the obvious pleasure you get from meeting the challenge.
In many respects it's very true: thru-hiking is not enjoyable. Many reasons for this, including the mind-numbing routine and also because you don't have your creature comforts...But that has nothing to do with how many miles you do a day.

What CoolBobby said above in post #61 is very true. I remember that very much from my hiking, in the beginning if I walked two miles I considered that a NERO, but as I got my trail legs then anything under 10 miles was a NERO (and two miles didn't even count) and 10-15 was an easy day.

Thru-hiking is a routine, but it's only for a few months. Thru-hiking is a great way to develop a kick ass base in cardio and actually you don't need to do the entire trail to get to this point; I think most people probably peak around Harper's Ferry, but that's not to say that thru-hiking the entire trail is bad for you, but if that's all you do, beyond a thru-hike, than yes, that's too much of a routine.

Same with doing 70 flights of stairs, in the beginning it's not a routine because your body is building up to that and each time you do it you're improving; however, you will peak out eventually and that's when it's time to change it up. You need to change it up, not just because it becomes mind-numbingly dull, but because the body needs other things exercised for a total package (strong healthy body).

jefals
04-23-2016, 09:45

In many respects it's very true: thru-hiking is not enjoyable. Many reasons for this, including the mind-numbing routine and also because you don't have your creature comforts...But that has nothing to do with how many miles you do a day.

What CoolBobby said above in post #61 is very true. I remember that very much from my hiking, in the beginning if I walked two miles I considered that a NERO, but as I got my trail legs then anything under 10 miles was a NERO (and two miles didn't even count) and 10-15 was an easy day.

Thru-hiking is a routine, but it's only for a few months. Thru-hiking is a great way to develop a kick ass base in cardio and actually you don't need to do the entire trail to get to this point; I think most people probably peak around Harper's Ferry, but that's not to say that thru-hiking the entire trail is bad for you, but if that's all you do, beyond a thru-hike, than yes, that's too much of a routine.

Same with doing 70 flights of stairs, in the beginning it's not a routine because your body is building up to that and each time you do it you're improving; however, you will peak out eventually and that's when it's time to change it up. You need to change it up, not just because it becomes mind-numbingly dull, but because the body needs other things exercised for a total package (strong healthy body).
I hear ya. And I know there's truth in what you're saying. Still, even knowing it, I'm just a stubborn "ole geezer", stuck in my ways.
On the PCT, tho I never got 20 mile trail legs, I felt I was in great shape by the time I got to Julian.
At home, I used to be a 5 mile - a day runner, for several years, till my knees told me it,was time to quit
So now, for many years, it's been those stairs and the elliptical. It may not be the best thing I could do, but it keeps my weight and blood pressure down. Talk about routine - while im on that elliptical , i even listen to the same CD I've been listening to for years!☺
I know the beat is gonna pick up for the 5th song, and REALLY pick up for the 6th - then let me cool,down for 7 and 8, and kick back up for the finish with nbr 9.
In the early 80s, I met a heart surgeon. He,was in teriffic shape. He and I used to climb the same mountain every day after work for 3 years. He told me climbing was the best exercise for your heart - which is,why I'm still doing those 70 flights of stairs today

Pedaling Fool
04-23-2016, 11:44
At home, I used to be a 5 mile - a day runner, for several years, till my knees told me it,was time to quit
So now, for many years, it's been those stairs and the elliptical. It may not be the best thing I could do, but it keeps my weight and blood pressure down. Talk about routine - while im on that elliptical , i even listen to the same CD I've been listening to for years!☺
I know the beat is gonna pick up for the 5th song, and REALLY pick up for the 6th - then let me cool,down for 7 and 8, and kick back up for the finish with nbr 9.
In the early 80s, I met a heart surgeon. He,was in teriffic shape. He and I used to climb the same mountain every day after work for 3 years. He told me climbing was the best exercise for your heart - which is,why I'm still doing those 70 flights of stairs today
The thing is, regardless of which cardio exercise you do you're still losing muscle/bone mass and connective tissue get weaker. Running and other things help in slowing that down, to a point and that point becomes very sharp and starts going down once you not only get into a routine, but also if you ignore the frame of the body.

When you exercise there are two separate things to consider: Cardio and Musculoskeletal system. You can have the best cardio in the world, but without a strong healthy frame, it's kind of useless. The overwhelming number of hikers that quit from injury do so from issues with the musculoskeletal system, not the cardio. The cardio system is actually far easier to build up, with far less chance of injury and that build up time is relatively short.

Just some things to read and consider:

(P.S. Most of these articles are centered around running, but just as applicable to stair climbing, cycling, eliptical machines, hiking...)

http://news.psu.edu/story/405621/2016/04/20/research/strength-training-helps-older-adults-live-longer

http://greatist.com/fitness/why-all-runners-should-strength-train

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/strength-training-misconceptions-for-runners

http://www.active.com/running/articles/how-strength-training-helps-your-run

jefals
04-23-2016, 13:11
You're right, Pedaling Fool. Thanks for the great articles!
That's why the doc I met on the mountain thought so highly about climbing. I should add, when I met him, I was in my early 30s, he was in his mid 60s. He had the body of a young man, and he would run up and down this 1200 foot mountain twice before I slow-climbed it once!
As you said, you want both cardio and strenth- training, muscle building. Here are a couple of articles about stair climbing; it actually helps in both these areas, so two birds with one stone. I know I could be doing more, other different exercises. But -- I'm just doin what I do, and livin with the consequences! :)
( I also lift dumb bells, but recently had shoulder surgery, so just getting slowly back into this...)

https://www.stepjockey.com/health-benefits-of-stair-climbing

http://goqii.com/blog/stair-climbing-one-of-the-best-exercises/

Secondmouse
04-23-2016, 14:17

meaning?..

Secondmouse
04-23-2016, 14:24
What's that old saying, oh yeah!

"Suck it up cupcake" :D

suck it up, buttercup?..

Traveler
04-24-2016, 07:47
thanks everyone for responding. I started this because I don't think I would ever find a 20 mile day enjoyable. To ne, ut woukd be almost like running a marathon!
was just curious if you guys that regularly do it really do like it, and glad to find you do!

For me, the walk itself IS the destination. I will have a goal to reach of course, but the hike is why I am there. Some days I move right along at a fairly good pace, other days I feel like I am walking in waist deep water. As long as I am on a trail somewhere, each day brings what it brings and I am delighted to meet it.

BonBon
04-24-2016, 08:49
I really think if you are day hiking or weekend hiking that 8 or so mile a day is great. Thats what I plan to do next week when I hike from Springer to Neels Gap, and Ill take plenty of time to smell the roses- or trillium. But if you are hiking thru, those 20 miles days come pretty easy after a while. Although my sweet spot day was about 17.

rocketsocks
04-24-2016, 09:05
suck it up, buttercup?..dats da one!

colorado_rob
04-24-2016, 11:10
For me, the walk itself IS the destination. I will have a goal to reach of course, but the hike is why I am there.This. We all enjoy different things, of course, and are on the trail for slightly different reasons, though I think we all share a common love for this most-wonderful pastime (hiking)....

I'm happiest on the tail when I'm hiking. not sitting around. I hike pretty slowly, a 2-2.5 MPH pace when actually walking usually at the low end of this range (2-2.2 or so). At this pace and with my light pack, it is virtually effortless to hike all day, 7/8am-6/7pm or so, 10-11 full hours. Without trying, this gives me 20+ mile days, a mile or two +/- depending on how many stops, and I do stop and "smell the roses" often, though I don't really take any "breaks". "Breaks" for me aren't "breaks", walking is my "break" and it lasts all day. I stop for views and taking pics, and the occasional chat with a fellow hiker.

The pure enjoyment of hiking long distances is all about the walking, for me, hence 20 mile days are actually "easier" than shorter days. Iut of shape folks or folks with heavy packs will never understand this.

Of course, this all get adjusted in the really rough terrain, like The Whites, southern Maine, etc, where the pace is more like 1.2-1.5 MPH, but same Modus Operandi, practically zero "breaks" because again, the act of walking is the most enjoyable.

colorado_rob
04-24-2016, 11:11
dats da one!Or: "save the Drama for your Mama"

archie
04-24-2016, 11:27
I regularly hike 20+ mpd. I am also old, broke down, overweight and have very short legs. I am also naturally non gifted in athletic endeavors . I also happen find 20+ mile days to be very enjoyable.

I hear people telling me to stop and smell the roses a lot. I usually find those people sleeping in their shelters while I am out smelling the roses in the early am or hiking into a beautiful sunset in the pm. They miss out, not me.

I also hear the death march comment a lot. I feel like hiking is the opposite of a death march, it is invigorating and revitalizing. Sitting huddled up in a tent or hammock is more like a death sentence to me, I came to walk and that's what I love. Sure the feet hurt or the legs ache, but a little grit carries you through that and on to the next view around the next corner.

I don't hike really fast. I hike slow enough that I can be looking around and enjoying the landscape at all times. I soak in the beauty with every step. Why do so many think one can only smell the roses while seated? I pause frequently, but rarely stop. I get up, break camp and am on the trail before the light is. I hike as long as I can see to enjoy my surroundings, then I stop and go to sleep.

If I can regularly do 20+ mile days and have fun, anyone can. I am less than average when it comes to fitness and physical health. Its all a matter of your style and what you are in the woods or mountains for I guess. HYOH, but no reason to think that 20+ has to be a death march or mean you haven't smelled the roses.

tdoczi
04-24-2016, 13:15
I regularly hike 20+ mpd. I am also old, broke down, overweight and have very short legs. I am also naturally non gifted in athletic endeavors . I also happen find 20+ mile days to be very enjoyable.

I hear people telling me to stop and smell the roses a lot. I usually find those people sleeping in their shelters while I am out smelling the roses in the early am or hiking into a beautiful sunset in the pm. They miss out, not me.

I also hear the death march comment a lot. I feel like hiking is the opposite of a death march, it is invigorating and revitalizing. Sitting huddled up in a tent or hammock is more like a death sentence to me, I came to walk and that's what I love. Sure the feet hurt or the legs ache, but a little grit carries you through that and on to the next view around the next corner.

I don't hike really fast. I hike slow enough that I can be looking around and enjoying the landscape at all times. I soak in the beauty with every step. Why do so many think one can only smell the roses while seated? I pause frequently, but rarely stop. I get up, break camp and am on the trail before the light is. I hike as long as I can see to enjoy my surroundings, then I stop and go to sleep.

If I can regularly do 20+ mile days and have fun, anyone can. I am less than average when it comes to fitness and physical health. Its all a matter of your style and what you are in the woods or mountains for I guess. HYOH, but no reason to think that 20+ has to be a death march or mean you haven't smelled the roses.

what he said.

Wülfgang
04-24-2016, 13:26
Another thing not mentioned is accessibility. I'd be interested to know where all the folks who 'regularly' hike long days are going....are you driving far or do you just live near good hiking options?

I live about 15 minutes from the Colorado Trail, but outside of that, "good" hiking (uncrowded, nice terrain) is a 1.5-2 hour drive. Unless you want to hike on the scorching exposed plains or on 5-mile baby trails with every runner, mom, and mountain biker in Denver. It's become a zoo here. I've done all the local hikes about 10 times and still do them out of convenience, but putting in 15-20 miles locally would entail doing the same loop or out-and-back several times, which for me is the complete opposite of fun. I want to see some changing scenery and hike towards a destination, not backtrack or cover the same trail repeatedly.

Obiwan
04-24-2016, 14:07
I am also one of those that is less comfortable simply sitting in camp for hours....and I tend to hike pretty fast, especially when solo

archie
04-24-2016, 15:14
Another thing not mentioned is accessibility. I'd be interested to know where all the folks who 'regularly' hike long days are going....are you driving far or do you just live near good hiking options?

I live about 15 minutes from the Colorado Trail, but outside of that, "good" hiking (uncrowded, nice terrain) is a 1.5-2 hour drive. Unless you want to hike on the scorching exposed plains or on 5-mile baby trails with every runner, mom, and mountain biker in Denver. It's become a zoo here. I've done all the local hikes about 10 times and still do them out of convenience, but putting in 15-20 miles locally would entail doing the same loop or out-and-back several times, which for me is the complete opposite of fun. I want to see some changing scenery and hike towards a destination, not backtrack or cover the same trail repeatedly.

I don't really hike very regularly. I mean when I do hike I often, or usually, do 20+ days. There is very little quality hiking near me. If there was I would possibly be in better shape! I hike a few 3-4 day trips each year on The NCT. I drive 1 to 4 hours to get there. Beyond that I do one other trip at least each year. For those I drive or fly. Even as infrequently as I get out, I still am able to hike 20+ and have an enjoyable time doing so. Colorado trail this year! Grand Teton National Park last year etc.

colorado_rob
04-24-2016, 15:33

I live about 15 minutes from the Colorado Trail, but outside of that, "good" hiking (uncrowded, nice terrain) is a 1.5-2 hour drive. Unless you want to hike on the scorching exposed plains or on 5-mile baby trails with every runner, mom, and mountain biker in Denver. It's become a zoo here. I've done all the local hikes about 10 times and still do them out of convenience, but putting in 15-20 miles locally would entail doing the same loop or out-and-back several times, which for me is the complete opposite of fun. I want to see some changing scenery and hike towards a destination, not backtrack or cover the same trail repeatedly. Hello neighbor (fellow Littleton-ite)! I was assuming this particular topic/thread was referring to "destination hikes", like multi-day/week/month hikes, like the AT, PCT, CT, LT, whatever, a place you fly to, take a bus to, or like in our case, get dropped of to (the CT).

So not sure what you're asking/saying; are you looking for longer hikes in Colorado? Have you been into the LCW? You should go.... yes, still an hour+ drive depending on which trailhead, but way more than a hundred miles of trails with nice loops making great multi-day adventures. Then there's the Snowy range in WY... then there are amazing long hiking opportunities in Utah.

Myself and hiking buddies do day hikes all the time all over nearby areas in Colorado, but my thoughts below on this particular thread don't really apply to those hikes. their length is their length. But because we are all used to long days of hiking, we can do "day hikes" that involve some pretty deep-wilderness destinations. We do like to do loops whenever possible, vs out and back hikes, though sometimes you have no choice.

Finally: it has NOT become a zoo here, you're just choosing the wrong places (or times) to hike. For example, most times when we visit the LCW we OWN the place. Longer drive, but it's easy to get lost (avoid anyone) in the San Juan mountains. Just avoid the 14ers, which yes, have become a zoo. Thankfully there are about 600 13ers in Colorado, hardly ever crowded at all.

garlic08
04-24-2016, 16:39
...I hear people telling me to stop and smell the roses a lot. I usually find those people sleeping in their shelters while I am out smelling the roses in the early am or hiking into a beautiful sunset in the pm. They miss out, not me...I also hear the death march comment a lot....

Loved your post. It's human nature to think that anyone who moves slower than you is an idiot, and anyone who moves fast than you is a maniac. The speed you're traveling does not matter.

My 20+ mile local hikes often leave from my back door, using several miles of local roads to connect in several directions with Apex, Lookout Mt, Matthews-Winters/Red Rocks, Lookout Mt, Beaver Brook Trail, North and South Table Mts. Sometimes I bike to one of the many trailheads, as far as White Ranch or even Waterton Canyon via the C-470 and Chatfield trails. Often the well-used park trails are just a part of the distance and I don't mind the road walks if it means I don't have to drive. Walking through Golden's city streets, or on a mountain road to connect two parks, isn't an awful thing. Driving to go hiking, especially if I-70 is involved, is getting to be a real buzzkill.

Proximity to trails has always been a very important criterion in relocation. I'll put up with a lot of substandard conditions to keep from driving to recreate.

jefals
04-24-2016, 19:35
re. destination, I originally thought my "target audience" would be AT thru hikers. I think I figured correctly that most of y'all are AT hiking. But I've discovered that I was incorrect in thinking that most of the 20 mpd folks were necessarily thru hikers. I was surprised to find that so many of y'all really enjoy that kind of distance, and are doing it strictly for the pleasure you get from it, and not just because you have to get to Katadyn by October. .
For me personally, I was relating to the 3 weeks I spent on the southernmost section of the PCT, which starts 9 hours and 600 miles from my home in Sacramento.

egilbe
04-24-2016, 20:07
I did 6 miles yesterday, up and over the Bald Pates. I was happy to hike it in 6 hours. A lot of it was like this:

Malto
04-24-2016, 20:14

I just did 180 miles of the AT between Erwin and Adkins in under five days at nearly a 40 mile per day average. At times (70%) it was pure type 1 fun and the other 30% was type 2 fun (satisfaction from the accomplishment). Here is why the ratio was as high as it was.
1) I absolutely love walking, period. I would rather walk than sit any day of the week and I tend to be more relaxed when I walk.
2) I am hiking with an 8 lb base (max) so the pack is not a factor in enjoyment.
3) I started at first light and end at dark. I saw every sunset and sunrise and was in some incredible places especially for the sunsets (Roan Mtn and Whiteface Mtn/Elk Garden). Sunrises at Grayson, coming into Damscus and Big Bald. These times of day are magical and if I was forced to do short days then I would hike 6-9 both am and PM, or close.
4) High 30s to 40 mile days are not a stretch for my fitness. I work very hard to stay in prime hiking shape. ( this is sad to admit in public but I get quite a bit of satisfaction knowing that if my life went completely sideways that I could immediately go do a long hike in the style I enjoy. Knowing I can makes it chose that I don't.
5) If I was pushing to maintain 40+ day after day than it would be a slog which is why you will never see me attempt a record attempt on a trail. A record means little and the ratio of type 1 to type 2 would not be high enough.
6) I hike at a very consistent steady pace, I am not running and I usually will stop and chat for a minute or two. But I don't spend an hour at an overlook, that's just not my thing, there is something equally cool just around the corner. (I am an optimist.)
7) Mental. I do a lot of long days. I don't go into most trips wondering if I can make the distance, it is usually a question of how long. As a target distance becomes routine, say 30mpd then it becomes normal and somewhat odd not to do it.
8) There is a lot of judgement in the hiking community about miles, weight etc. I have heard a hundred times that I am doing it wrong, I would get so much more out of my trip if I just slowed down. Let me give you the math to dispute this. Let say I did the same 180 miles at a 15 mpd pace. Instead of take 4 days vacation for my trip then I would have to take 10 days off, six extra days. What would I be giving up for those 6 days? Maybe three days in the Winds and another 3 on the CT making each a 5 day 150 mile trip. Which is a better bang for the vacation buck. Absolutely no question for me. This aspect is what got me into the long days. I was working for a company based in CA and I often tacked on a three day weekend to the beginning to hike in the Sierra. I have hiked well over a thousand miles of trail and off trail in this fashion. A 10 mpd pace doesn't get you into many of the cool places in the Sierra that I wanted to go.

In order to enjoy doing long days you have to be BOTH capable and willing. Capable can be built, willing is either there or not. I would never try talking someone into doing this. I would offer it as an option for someone looking to break a constraint in bullet point 8. There is also a huge range of mileage between where you're at and say Anish/Williamson/Swami territory. The key is enjoyment. Try some things out and if works go with it.

tdoczi
04-24-2016, 20:28
6) I hike at a very consistent steady pace, I am not running and I usually will stop and chat for a minute or two. But I don't spend an hour at an overlook, that's just not my thing, there is something equally cool just around the corner. (I am an optimist.)

the only "issue" (not really even an issue, just to me a funny difference of perspective) i take with people who do 40+ mile days is this notion they have that they arent "going fast." i suppose in your mind you might not be, but i'm pretty sure just using some scientific concept of average human walking speed as a rough base, that to do over 40 miles in the timeframe you describe (lets says 6am to 8pm at this time of year) you do, in fact, have to go "fast". or at least very very close to it.

the people i have met and seen hiking that can do that are unquestionably moving substantially quicker than everyone else. which is fine. i wouldnt go slower than i am able/want to, thats silly. but when they claim "oh i dont hike fast" i cant help but chuckle a tiny bit.

the inverse, sort of, are the people who claim they are slow "hikers" who end up averaging 1 MPH on moderate to easy ground while alleging to have "hiked" for 10 or 12 hours. the truth is you didnt hike 10 or 12 hours, no one can walk that slow if they tried. you spent a lot of time stopping and doing all manner of whatever, you werent hiking.

the truth is most of us walk roughly the same speed and how far we get depends on how long we are willing to walk for, REALLY walk for (ie hike for 3 hours, rest for 2 is not walking for 5 hours)

Wülfgang
04-24-2016, 21:09
Hello neighbor (fellow Littleton-ite)! I was assuming this particular topic/thread was referring to "destination hikes", like multi-day/week/month hikes, like the AT, PCT, CT, LT, whatever, a place you fly to, take a bus to, or like in our case, get dropped of to (the CT).

So not sure what you're asking/saying; are you looking for longer hikes in Colorado? Have you been into the LCW? You should go.... yes, still an hour+ drive depending on which trailhead, but way more than a hundred miles of trails with nice loops making great multi-day adventures. Then there's the Snowy range in WY... then there are amazing long hiking opportunities in Utah.

Myself and hiking buddies do day hikes all the time all over nearby areas in Colorado, but my thoughts below on this particular thread don't really apply to those hikes. their length is their length. But because we are all used to long days of hiking, we can do "day hikes" that involve some pretty deep-wilderness destinations. We do like to do loops whenever possible, vs out and back hikes, though sometimes you have no choice.

Finally: it has NOT become a zoo here, you're just choosing the wrong places (or times) to hike. For example, most times when we visit the LCW we OWN the place. Longer drive, but it's easy to get lost (avoid anyone) in the San Juan mountains. Just avoid the 14ers, which yes, have become a zoo. Thankfully there are about 600 13ers in Colorado, hardly ever crowded at all.

Hey Rob!

I actually have hiked a bit in the LCW and really liked it. Even on the summer weekends I visited we saw only a handful of other people. That's going to be my prime backpacking destination this summer; I'm just waiting for it to be "in season" as I'm not a big fan of snowy/sloppy trails. I figure by June it should be good up there.

It could be I'm choosing the wrong places to hike, but compared to back east (I lived in NH for a time), I find that any trail destinations within 90 minutes of Denver are crowded on a summer weekend, unless you are off-trail or in pretty deep. Think anywhere off I-70, the whole east side of Indian Peaks, Kenosha Pass area, Clear Creek canyon, South Platte, etc.

My 20+ mile local hikes often leave from my back door, using several miles of local roads to connect in several directions with Apex, Lookout Mt, Matthews-Winters/Red Rocks, Lookout Mt, Beaver Brook Trail, North and South Table Mts. Sometimes I bike to one of the many trailheads, as far as White Ranch or even Waterton Canyon via the C-470 and Chatfield trails. Often the well-used park trails are just a part of the distance and I don't mind the road walks if it means I don't have to drive. Walking through Golden's city streets, or on a mountain road to connect two parks, isn't an awful thing. Driving to go hiking, especially if I-70 is involved, is getting to be a real buzzkill.

Proximity to trails has always been a very important criterion in relocation. I'll put up with a lot of substandard conditions to keep from driving to recreate.

Good thought on road connections. I'll have to get more creative to connect some trails. Golden is actually a primo spot to live around here. You're right on the foothills but out of the city. But I'm with you man, I hate driving very far to hike. I used to drive 2-4 hours for DAY HIKES when I lived in Boston. I did what I had to do to get out there. Now I'm just over commuting to hike unless it's a multi-day trip. I-70? Forget it.

saltysack
04-24-2016, 21:27

No sympathy here!! Only 15 min from the CT!!! I'm at least 6-7 hours from the hills of the southern AT......I'm about 1.5-2 hours from the Ocala NF section or Suwannee river sections of the FT...just can't get excited to hike here...rather drive the extra few hours and hit the hills...my training is either done at the gym or on the water (paddling)...I'm a true believer you don't have to train in the mountains to get your body ready for them......with regular weight training and cardio regime I've never had to build up to 20 mpd even coming from flat Florida...hit the trail running....

Wyoming
04-24-2016, 21:50

Where I live in AZ I can and do walk out my door and go on 20+ mile hikes in the national forest (some of it actually has trees!) across the highway. I have the choice of many trails both out and back and loops. If I am willing to drive up to 30 mins I can add in a couple of hundred miles of trails. 2 hours would get me to the Grand Canyon. On the down side a lot of the hiking here is without shade and it gets seriously hot in the summer so even on day hikes one takes 3-4 liters of water.

jefals
04-24-2016, 23:43
Well, there has certainly been more response to this thread than I expected! I'm not so sure I'm happy about that, tho... All you 20, 30, even 40 mpd folks are makin me feel kinda WIMPY! ☺
Just kidding.
Thanks guys. I don't know why this was important to me - just curious I guess. But sounds like most of you folks are into this hiking game for the same reason I am - for the enjoyment. The challenge is secondary, if it's there at all.

Traveler
04-25-2016, 06:43
Well, there has certainly been more response to this thread than I expected! I'm not so sure I'm happy about that, tho... All you 20, 30, even 40 mpd folks are makin me feel kinda WIMPY! ☺
Just kidding.
Thanks guys. I don't know why this was important to me - just curious I guess. But sounds like most of you folks are into this hiking game for the same reason I am - for the enjoyment. The challenge is secondary, if it's there at all.

One of the more common things between all of us is comparing our gear, food, experiences, and ourselves with each other. Its always beneficial to examine these things with others who "get it", it provides a ruler of sorts to the activity and probably most importantly, provides validation what we are doing is worthwhile and how we are doing it is shared.

lonehiker
04-25-2016, 08:33
One of the more common things between all of us is comparing our gear, food, experiences, and ourselves with each other. Its always beneficial to examine these things with others who "get it", it provides a ruler of sorts to the activity and probably most importantly, provides validation what we are doing is worthwhile and how we are doing it is shared.

I may look at others' gear and food choices, but I damn sure never seek validation.

jefals
04-25-2016, 12:18
...On the other hand...☺...
If you're a younger man, or lady, and you're NOT doing this for the challenge, well, maybe you should be! it's a great feeling to set and meet challenging goals in life - whether physical or mental...
But if you're an old geezer like me, you've probably already faced all the challenges you need! (IMO!) ☺

Traveler
04-26-2016, 06:37
I may look at others' gear and food choices, but I damn sure never seek validation.

Perhaps a better choice of words would've been "provides different looks at this shared experience", as opposed to validation.

show me the monkey
04-26-2016, 10:39
I just did 180 miles of the AT between Erwin and Adkins in under five days at nearly a 40 mile per day average. At times (70%) it was pure type 1 fun and the other 30% was type 2 fun (satisfaction from the accomplishment). Here is why the ratio was as high as it was.
1) I absolutely love walking, period. I would rather walk than sit any day of the week and I tend to be more relaxed when I walk.
2) I am hiking with an 8 lb base (max) so the pack is not a factor in enjoyment.
3) I started at first light and end at dark. I saw every sunset and sunrise and was in some incredible places especially for the sunsets (Roan Mtn and Whiteface Mtn/Elk Garden). Sunrises at Grayson, coming into Damscus and Big Bald. These times of day are magical and if I was forced to do short days then I would hike 6-9 both am and PM, or close.
4) High 30s to 40 mile days are not a stretch for my fitness. I work very hard to stay in prime hiking shape. ( this is sad to admit in public but I get quite a bit of satisfaction knowing that if my life went completely sideways that I could immediately go do a long hike in the style I enjoy. Knowing I can makes it chose that I don't.
5) If I was pushing to maintain 40+ day after day than it would be a slog which is why you will never see me attempt a record attempt on a trail. A record means little and the ratio of type 1 to type 2 would not be high enough.
7) Mental. I do a lot of long days. I don't go into most trips wondering if I can make the distance, it is usually a question of how long. As a target distance becomes routine, say 30mpd then it becomes normal and somewhat odd not to do it.
8) There is a lot of judgement in the hiking community about miles, weight etc. I have heard a hundred times that I am doing it wrong, I would get so much more out of my trip if I just slowed down. Let me give you the math to dispute this. Let say I did the same 180 miles at a 15 mpd pace. Instead of take 4 days vacation for my trip then I would have to take 10 days off, six extra days. What would I be giving up for those 6 days? Maybe three days in the Winds and another 3 on the CT making each a 5 day 150 mile trip. Which is a better bang for the vacation buck. Absolutely no question for me. This aspect is what got me into the long days. I was working for a company based in CA and I often tacked on a three day weekend to the beginning to hike in the Sierra. I have hiked well over a thousand miles of trail and off trail in this fashion. A 10 mpd pace doesn't get you into many of the cool places in the Sierra that I wanted to go.

In order to enjoy doing long days you have to be BOTH capable and willing. Capable can be built, willing is either there or not. I would never try talking someone into doing this. I would offer it as an option for someone looking to break a constraint in bullet point 8. There is also a huge range of mileage between where you're at and say Anish/Williamson/Swami territory. The key is enjoyment. Try some things out and if works go with it.

Well stated Malto! This mindset is exactly what I have evolved into as well and doing high mileage days tends to help fill the void for the years that I can't do a thru-hike. The past three years, I've done between 1300 and 1900 per year in this fashion and it's helped me mentally more than I can describe.

Hikingjim
05-11-2016, 13:19
avg MPH you hike x how long you like to walk = a good distance to go!
That's about it. Some people like 12 hours at 2.5 mph... and some like 8 hours at 1.3 MPH.

I'm more 8-9 hours at avg 2 mph, but sometimes more, sometimes less