PDA

View Full Version : I just wanted to share

yemx
04-22-2016, 15:18
I just got done modding my current main pack, a Marine Corps ILBE pack. It's a hardcore version of the Arc'Teryx Bora 70. I carried this when I was in, and it's a terrible while wearing body armor. However, just hiking around with the pack alone felt really good (before I knew how comfortable packs could be). The major complaint from me back then, was the weight of the pack alone. Nearly 10 lbs empty. I was able to acquire an exta ILBE during one of my deployments. When I got out, I found that a lot of the straps and features of the pack were either unwanted or excessive, or silly. So I performed a little surgery on the pack. Here's a stock photo from the web of the ILBE pack:

Here's some web pics of the Arc'Teryx Bora 70. You can see some of the similarities between the ILBE and the Bora:

I removed the bladder sleeve and extraneous straps and buckles from the front:

I removed the original draw corded storm flap- it was a heavy material, was double-layered and too short. I added some height, and turned the pack into a roll top out of 70D silnylon. I was also able to drop some more weight by not using the original top lid. I also extended the top retaining/compression strap. Pic:

I switched out the original frame stays for some Kifaru composite stays. The weight savings is negligible, but there. The original stays are made from 7071 Aluminum. Some pics:

I made some modifications to the Kifaru Omni belt, and the ILBE pack so that the pack could use the belt. It wasn't an exact fit. But now the two go together very well!! I pulled the frame stay pockets from the original ILBE belt, and added some velcro to the ILBE pad. The velcro on the ILBE pad corresponds to velcro on the Omni belt. The shape of the Omni belt is slightly different, and it's significantly thinner and lighter than the original belt. The Omni belt is WAY more comfortable that the original:

Overall, it was a fun project! I just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone here has an ILBE pack at home gathering dust. Of course, if anyone has an old Arc'Teryx Bora, some of these mods can be done to them as well!

admirald7s
04-22-2016, 16:06
Very cool! You said the pack was almost 10# originally. What's the final weight after all your modifications?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JumpMaster Blaster
04-22-2016, 17:52
Coming from a vet, that's a sweet pack (compared to the MOLLE and ALICE).

scrabbler
04-22-2016, 18:07
I was able to acquire an exta ILBE during one of my deployments.

How? I was under the impression that all gear is inventoried and must be turned in, etc.

yemx
04-23-2016, 00:39
Very cool! You said the pack was almost 10# originally. What's the final weight after all your modifications?

I'll have to weigh it, should be right around 6 lbs

yemx
04-23-2016, 00:40
How? I was under the impression that all gear is inventoried and must be turned in, etc.

Gear adrift is a gift...

CoolBobby
04-25-2016, 19:53
LOL... sure hope they stay out of my garage. Actually most personal equipment is issued out but not recovered. It used to be only items over a certain threshold $$ but apparently that has changed. Hence Isis with our Humvee's. 😎

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk