PDA

View Full Version : 25 miles yesterday and a few hot spots

JLorenzo77
04-22-2016, 21:30
Hey group - I did a 25 miler yesterday. Came out relatively no worse for the wear. Twisted a knee and have a nasty blood blister/crack on my heel.

I have some thigh numbness but it could be related to limping on the leg (same leg with the blister). I also have some lower back pain which could be causing it. Anyone have that before?

I've never hiked that far in a day so this is uncharted territory.

Great hike though! Started at PenMar and headed south past the old Washington Monument.

saltysack
04-23-2016, 08:50
Body Glide your feet couple times per day, change socks mid day an take vit I 800 mg....feel great!!! No I'm not a Dr... Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rafe
04-23-2016, 09:13
Congrats. Not to quibble but my data book says that's 21.5 miles. Unless you took some side trips or something.

I'll grant you this is the more difficult half of the trail in MD. I recall some very rocky terrain a few miles below PenMar.

JLorenzo77
04-23-2016, 09:40
Rafe. It is. But we parked at Pen Mar and hiked north to the Mason Dixon line and I paused my tracker when we took side trails. Also, we parked about a mile south of the Washington Monument state park...by South Mountain Inn. A great place to eat by the way.

Very rocky terrain there and a nasty spot right before Black Rock.

JLorenzo77
04-23-2016, 09:42
I have to say, it is strange walking north to the Mason Dixon sign knowing you are going out of your way but it wouldn't be official unless you start at that sign, right?!

Bronk
04-23-2016, 11:38
Hey group - I did a 25 miler yesterday. Came out relatively no worse for the wear. Twisted a knee and have a nasty blood blister/crack on my heel.

I have some thigh numbness but it could be related to limping on the leg (same leg with the blister). I also have some lower back pain which could be causing it. Anyone have that before?

I've never hiked that far in a day so this is uncharted territory.

Great hike though! Started at PenMar and headed south past the old Washington Monument.The numbness in your leg is most likely related to lower back pain...if it persists, sleep on your side with a pillow between your legs for a couple of weeks.

4eyedbuzzard
04-23-2016, 17:02
If you have ongoing numbness in your thigh, it is likely due to compression of a nerve root at a lumbar disk. Get thee to an Orthopaedist. Don't mess around with this! If you have persistent numbness, you could also wind up suffering from irreversible atrophy of muscle tissue in the leg if it goes untreated.

JLorenzo77
04-26-2016, 13:03
Thanks everyone. Numbness is gone but this two inch blood blister on my heel is nasty! Overall, it was a great hike.

chknfngrs
04-26-2016, 14:03
Treat numbness with an Uncle Brettski or three while at SouthMtnInn. Gotta ask for it, each and every time.

JLorenzo77
04-26-2016, 14:04
Treat numbness with an Uncle Brettski or three while at SouthMtnInn. Gotta ask for it, each and every time.

Haha! Noted.

WingedMonkey
04-26-2016, 21:15
Thanks everyone. Numbness is gone but this two inch blood blister on my heel is nasty! Overall, it was a great hike.

Now imagine you had to keep hiking with that blood blister.

Over doing it may be fun for a day, it can knock you off the trail on a longer journey.

JLorenzo77
04-29-2016, 12:40
Now imagine you had to keep hiking with that blood blister.

Over doing it may be fun for a day, it can knock you off the trail on a longer journey.

Totally agree. I would never hike that far in a day on a long distance trek. When you work full time and have two young kids though, you squeeze in as much as you can in the time you have.

Jake2c
05-04-2016, 16:23
Hmmmm, no advice, your post just caught my eye when you mentioned numbness in your thigh. I have that and have just been ignoring it as much as I can. After reading some of the posts, maybe I should get it checked though I am only at mile 850 and change, really don't want to get off the trail for any length of time at this point.

PacDaddy
05-04-2016, 18:06
When someone says body glide your feet are you referring to the entire foot?and under a wool sock?

Greenlight
05-04-2016, 19:30
I will hike that section again, and I will remember this. I'm thinking I-70 to Harpers Ferry in late spring? "Uncle Brettski" Got it. LOL

Haha! Noted.