PDA

View Full Version : Packing Advice!

NewHeart
04-24-2016, 10:30
Today is packing day! :banana I leaving in the morning for Springer. I'm in a bit of a quandary though.:confused: I have my heavy weight top and bottom quilts, which are good to 10 degrees and then my Woobie top & bottom quilts, which are good to about 40 degrees. I have been watching the trail weather reports and see the lows are in the 50's. I know the weather can be a fickle thing and don't want to get caught in a cold snap. I also have my packable down jacket & vest, plus ECWCS Polartec base layers that I wear for hunting in the cold MN deer season. So here's the question, do I take the heavy weight gear or leave it home or is there a combination of what I should take? Leaving it home would save about 4 pounds in pack weight. All opinions welcome!

12trysomething
04-24-2016, 11:34
You could start out with your heavier under quilt and your lighter top quilt. It is easier to add insulation via shirts, jackets and the such to the top and very hard to add insulation to the bottom. After a few weeks you can re evaluate and change up as warmer weather gets here.

I often do a mixing like this in the transition months.

Have a blast.

moldy
04-24-2016, 11:52
You forgot to tell us how much the whole rig weighs. 4 pounds is alot. This is late April, I bring my 20 degree sleeping bag. If it gets too cold at night I sleep in my puffy down jacket, but..I sleep in a little tent on a little air mat on the ground. As an alternate I could use my 40 degree bag and a light flannel sleep sack if I thought it would be in warmer than normal weather. This system won't be very warm for a hammock camper.

Sandy of PA
04-24-2016, 12:01
I would carry the cold stuff until Pearisburg, VA. I personally had a 25 degree night May 24, 2013 at Overmountain shelter. Nothing takes the fun out faster than lack of sleep from being too cold. Hypothermia can kill at 50 degrees.

NewHeart
04-24-2016, 12:17
You forgot to tell us how much the whole rig weighs. 4 pounds is alot. This is late April, I bring my 20 degree sleeping bag. If it gets too cold at night I sleep in my puffy down jacket, but..I sleep in a little tent on a little air mat on the ground. As an alternate I could use my 40 degree bag and a light flannel sleep sack if I thought it would be in warmer than normal weather. This system won't be very warm for a hammock camper.

I am a hammock hanger:

Hammock & suspension = #1 11oz
Rainfly = #1 14oz
Summer UQ = #1 7 1/8oz
Summer TQ = #1 10 1/2oz
Winter UQ = #1 12oz
Winter TQ = #2 3/8oz
base layers = #1 15oz
Down jacket & vest = #1 3 7/8 oz

Looking at this there is not much weight difference between the winter & summer weight quilts, but I have used the winter gear and was in a sauna @ 40 degrees. Mixing them might be the answer. I know the transition weather can change on a dime. Go form cool to blistering hot. This is my concern.

Secondmouse
04-24-2016, 12:35
You could start out with your heavier under quilt and your lighter top quilt. It is easier to add insulation via shirts, jackets and the such to the top and very hard to add insulation to the bottom. After a few weeks you can re evaluate and change up as warmer weather gets here.

I often do a mixing like this in the transition months.

Have a blast.

this is good...

saltysack
04-24-2016, 12:55
If your from MN you shouldn't have any trouble with your summer gear!!!! MN is an ice box!!! Last time I was in northern MN I caught my jacket on fire in a fish house trying to warm up! Damn it gets cold up there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewHeart
04-24-2016, 13:11
If your from MN you shouldn't have any trouble with your summer gear!!!! MN is an ice box!!! Last time I was in northern MN I caught my jacket on fire in a fish house trying to warm up! Damn it gets cold up there!

No not from MN, from Chicago area, but my daughter lives WAY up dare and spent a number of -40 degree days out in the woods, I did have a LOT more layers to wear!

archie
04-24-2016, 15:22

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is hilarious, but hasn't everyone done this at least once? I know I have... It is an icebox indeed

OkeefenokeeJoe
04-24-2016, 22:06
Take the heavy clothing and send it home after we are further into Spring. At this early in the Spring I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

OkeefenokeeJoe