PDA

View Full Version : "Practice Runs" in South GA

SamBrooks_01
04-24-2016, 10:48
Hey, dudes,

I'm planning a thru hike in 2017. I've done plenty of weekends, a few 4-5 day trips here and there, but never necessarily "backpacked" for anything longer than about 3 days, I would guess about 45-50 miles at most.

My problem is that I live in South Georgia and I have a hard time finding trails of any decent distance down here. I'm near the coast, about 50 miles south of Savannah.

I'd like to find a few trails that are within a reasonable distance of home to just go out and do like 100 miles or so, probably more of a shakedown hike, but mostly just for the fun of it before the AT next year. I'm trying to avoid going all the way up to North GA, especially going to do part of the AT early (I just feel like it'd be more enjoyable next year if it was ALL new to me on the AT specifically, but maybe that's just me).

Finding public land and even parks isn't the big issue. I want to find somewhere with the trails and, hopefully, a change in terrain. Yall have any ideas? I know I just suck with the internet, some are more challenged than others in just searching for stuff. But any ideas would be awesome.

Thanks

Sam

MuddyWaters
04-24-2016, 11:22
I think nothing of travelling 7-12 hrs to hike, or more.
If it can be driven in a day, half one evening after work, then half day next morning, its game. So are plane rides

Yeah, gas or airfare costs money. But if you were crippled or died next year, would you be sorry you didnt just go when had chance?

bigcranky
04-24-2016, 11:27
This might be what you are looking for (http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/).

Secondmouse
04-24-2016, 11:58
where you're located the Palmetto trail in SC might be a good start -- http://www.sctrails.net/trails/alltrails/palmetto%20trail/palmetto%20trail.html

map man
04-24-2016, 13:25
It's about a two hour drive from where you are to a point where the northern part of the Florida Trail enters Osceola National Forest near Olustee, Florida-- that looks like your nearest access point for the Florida Trail. You could hike 100 miles in either direction on the trail from there.

OkeefenokeeJoe
04-24-2016, 14:08
SamBrooks_01, you must be affiliated with the military in some way because you appear to be unfamiliar with the area. Trust me on this, you are SOL when it comes to finding backpacking trails of any distance in the immediate area. As indicated in the above posts, your best bets are the Palmetto Trail in SC and the Florida Trail. Regardless, you are going to have to drive 2-3 hours to find that for which you are looking.

In the Southeastern/coastal region of this great State there are TONS of wonderful, scenic places to camp and get back to nature, but precious few for a spirited hike of more than a few miles. Wherever you decide to hike, though, you need to do it quickly. The yellow flies (aka deer flies) will be out in force in a couple of weeks and will hoard in thick hungry swarms for several weeks, until the huckleberries fall off the bushes (late June, early July). In the coastal region, here, you also have to put up with those dastardly sand knats (no-see-ums, as yankees call 'em) this time of the year ... and not to mention the blood-thirsty giant horse flies that will impale you at every step and taunt you by flying round and round your head.

Funny thing .... it always amazes me at how people who aren't from the State of Georgia think this state is, essentially, Atlanta when, in fact, the vast vast majority of this state is rural and lies south of the metropolitan Atlanta area, extending all the way to Florida line and west to the Alabama line. I've seen people shocked at the fact that it's a 4-5 hour drive northeast from the Okefenokee Swamp area before you even breach the Atlanta metropolitan area. Just amazing!

Sam, drive over to the Flash Foods there at the traffic light in Ludowici, fill up with gas, then head out. Any way you look at it, you've got some driving to do, my friend.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Sapelo
04-25-2016, 07:16
"Southeast Georgia has a huge trail system. Its just all wet"
- Michael Gowen, Southeast Adventure Outfitters, St. Simons Island, GA

Florida trail is your best bet for foot travel!

SamBrooks_01
04-25-2016, 09:41
Ha, I agree, Joe. But, believe it or not, I'm actually from here. That's why I know there's nothing like what I'm looking for RIGHT around this area. I don't mind taking a ride to reach a decent trail, I just didn't know where the best would be.

I've heard some about this Florida Trail, but honestly never heard about the Palmetto. I'll have to check both of them out.

It'll be a little while by the time I can get out and do a good distance, anyway. I just started a good new job and need to work a little while before I try to arrange a week or so off. Especially If I'm trying to take 5 months + next year.

Thanks, guys

saltysack
04-25-2016, 10:50
Just did foothills trail runs border of SC and NC....nice trail...77 miles with lots if waterfalls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk