PDA

View Full Version : what size ursack - traditional 729.3 or Ursack Major

Kestrelchick
04-24-2016, 17:24
We are looking at purchasing an Ursack and trying to figure between the traditional 729.3 that holds 650 cubic inches or the Ursack Major which holds 925 cubic inches - the weight difference between the two is like less than a pound - the traditional states it holds close to 5 days worth of food while the other can hold more....would love to hear which one Ursack users have. This would be for our AT thru-hike as well us just general camping/hiking use

Venchka
04-24-2016, 20:42
Major: 0.9 ounces heavier. $20 more expensive. ~50% increase in size.
No brainier. Buy the Major.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Venchka
04-24-2016, 20:46
Correction: 0.8 ounces. Not even worth mentioning.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

August W.
04-24-2016, 20:48
Neither. A solid bear canister does more to protect the bears and your food.

saltysack
04-24-2016, 21:12
Save your $$ not needed on AT and no good out west....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traillium
04-24-2016, 21:26
I'm taking the bigger one into the northern bear country along the Bruce Trail. Actually more concerned about mini-bears — coons, skunks, mice, chipmunks …

Bruce Traillium

Venchka
04-24-2016, 21:58
I'm taking the bigger one into the northern bear country along the Bruce Trail. Actually more concerned about mini-bears — coons, skunks, mice, chipmunks …

Bruce Traillium

This. There are more agile critters after your food than bears.
There is no accounting for the thought process in Middle California.
Hang correctly and a nylon stuff sack is sufficient.

Wayne

Traillium
04-24-2016, 22:04
This. There are more agile critters after your food than bears.

Hang correctly and a nylon stuff sack is sufficient.

Wayne

I'm aware that using a simple stuff sack is equally good when well-hung, Wayne.
I'm somewhat concerned that in parts where I'll be the trees are rather stubby on top of the dry escarpment. I want an additional option to a proper PCT hang.
(BTW, I've hung properly for decades while canoeing in the Northwoods. I'm confident in my techniques. And practiced.)

Venchka
04-24-2016, 22:56
I'm aware that using a simple stuff sack is equally good when well-hung, Wayne.
I'm somewhat concerned that in parts where I'll be the trees are rather stubby on top of the dry escarpment. I want an additional option to a proper PCT hang.
(BTW, I've hung properly for decades while canoeing in the Northwoods. I'm confident in my techniques. And practiced.)

I never doubt your skills and abilities. It's been a long time since I gave it much thought, but I am aware of the vast treeless areas in northern Canada.
The Ursack and a stout anchor would make an excellent food security system.
Have a great trip.

Wayne

Traillium
04-24-2016, 23:42
It's been a long time since I gave it much thought, but I am aware of the vast treeless areas in northern Canada.
The Ursack and a stout anchor would make an excellent food security system.

Wayne

Thanks, Wayne.
I'm actually going to be perhaps 500km from the tree line. I'm heading up into the Bruce Peninsula separating Georgian Bay from the rest of Lake Huron. Parts of it have some sketchy forests …
I'll be interested to see if my Ursack will have been worthwhile.

Venchka
04-25-2016, 00:14
Thanks, Wayne.
I'm actually going to be perhaps 500km from the tree line. I'm heading up into the Bruce Peninsula separating Georgian Bay from the rest of Lake Huron. Parts of it have some sketchy forests …
I'll be interested to see if my Ursack will have been worthwhile.

Forgive me for I have forgotten much of my Canadian geography.
Do let us know how the Ursack Major works for you. I'm thinking about the Ursack in the Wind River Range which is a mix of forest and bare rock.

Wayne

QiWiz
04-26-2016, 17:16
If it's for two people's food, would get the bigger one. I can get up to 5 days food for 1 in the regular, which would work OK on AT thru. For AT I would actually bring the even lighter Ursack Minor, which is varmint proof (mice, rats, squirrels, chipmunks, racoons, porcupines, etc) but not bear proof. Would hang when needed for bear country.

Theosus
04-26-2016, 19:40
I have the Major - I didn't ever realize it until I went and checked. I forgot which one I bought. I wonder if the price went up because I sure don't remember paying 90 bucks for mine. I have really enjoyed it, though.
I started doing the PCT hang with a plain green walmart dry sack (one of the ones sold in sets), some 330 paracord and a little red bag to store my rope and hang the rock. It was fine for a while but it got old. Finding a limb, throwing the rock, having stuff get tangled, providing laughter for my hiking buddies. After all that, invariably someone would come running, "Can you hang mine too, since you already have a rope up?" and here I am hauling 3-5 food bags up a limb for half the group.
The Ursack eliminates trying to find the right limb (harder in some places than you would think), throwing the rock, rope tangles, rope cutting into fingers, ropes full of sap, finding a rock (harder than you think in some places), sharing your rope, and one reason for having people laugh at you.
What I've found is an ursack disadvantage:
Freezing rain. If you are camping in freezing rain or snow right around 32*, cover your ursack. Because you look really silly trying to huff hot air onto your ursack's frozen knot against a tree, trying to thaw the cord out enough the untie it. Last trip I plunked the ursack down on the shelter table, and it sat there, unmoving, like a giant frozen ham.

poolskaterx
12-06-2016, 20:05
...What I've found is an ursack disadvantage:
Freezing rain. If you are camping in freezing rain or snow right around 32*, cover your ursack. Because you look really silly trying to huff hot air onto your ursack's frozen knot against a tree, trying to thaw the cord out enough the untie it....

oh, glad you mentioned that; a frozen knot would be a real drag in the morning
!

egilbe
12-06-2016, 20:12
A simple overhand loop is all you need to tie an Ursack to a tree. Easy to untie, even if it snows and freezes. I've not had any problems with the ropes supplied in cold, wet weather.

oh, and for size, the Ursack major (regular size) fits 5 days food for one hiker.

Venchka
12-07-2016, 21:19
Do the arithmetic like I did.
For a meager $20 you get substantially larger capacity and only a 1 ounce increase in weight.
I would argue that the Major holds more than 5 days of the food that I carry. More than 7 days for sure.
However, if you have an itsy bitsy backpack, you may have trouble finding a way to carry the Major.
If you want to go to places like the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem and stay on the trail for a week or longer, the Major wins. If you never ever plan to be on trail for more than 5 days or less, get the Minor.
Learn the surgeons knot for closing the Ursack.
Have fun!
Wayne

Venchka
12-07-2016, 21:23
I'm using Minor above to mean the original size Ursack. Not the small critter proof bag.
Wayne