PDA

View Full Version : Q: BA seedhouse SL1 vs BA Copper spur ul1?

Platypus2016
04-25-2016, 09:32
Hello all,

So my flip flop thru hike starts from Harper's Ferry next Wednesday! I'm super excited and had my gear completed and DONE....

But then I got a wild hair, and an option to get a new big Agnes copper spur ul1 mtnGLO. I used my seedhouse SL1 last year and it was great,, except for the front doggy style door, which was pretty inconvenient for me being a bigger and taller guy.but I should get the copper spur in the middle of this week which will give me time to set it up a few times, and check it out before I leave next Tuesday.

I was just hoping some of Y'all had used the copper spur ul1 before and could let me know what you thought of it...

I am excited because it has a side entrance,double the vestibule space, and is not much heavier (BUT it is a little heavier). And it looks like I could possibly even change clothes and pack my bag while being in the tent, which I couldn't so with the seedhouse SL1.

I am sponsored by BA this year, and absolutely love their gear, so I won't be switching to a different brand, and I will have both tents available to choose from, but of course only one is going with me(might send for the other if I want to change them out)

Thanks in advance
Platypus
Instagram: platypushiker --twitter @chefgauf
Platypus2016blog.wordpress.com

Platypus2016
04-25-2016, 09:41
Oh, and I didn't mention or talk about the mtnGLO part because I think that is a gimmicky addition, but I didn't have to buy it so... And who know, it might be great for reading maps or middle of the night bathroom runs..

-Platypus

PS: I have a great ( and huge) external battery that's a true 20.5kMaH so I'll have plenty of battery to run the lights when needed as well as charge phone (which will be in airplane mode and just used as a camera and mp3 player, I will check messages when I. Get signal, but that is because I have kids and an elderly parent, but I hate when. People are texting and talking on the trail all day one of my hiking partner last year's did this), and my headlamp.

nsherry61
04-25-2016, 11:23
You know the Seedhouse. You want to try the CS. So do it. If the CS doesn't make you as happy as the SH, have the SH shipped to you. I suspect you will stick with the CS and enjoy the MG feature.

I, for one, would love to hear from an experience long-distance hiker whether the MG was a useful/used feature for them or not. I wouldn't be surprised if two AA batteries worth of power would run the MG for most of a thru. I don't think I'd use it much in the summer with long days, but in winter, it might be a convenient addition.

colorado_rob
04-25-2016, 11:25
If you have a BA deal, I'd personally go with the Fly Creek UL2 Platinum and save 11 ounces and have a bigger tent. Why is getting in and out any real problem? You only do it once a day (at least, that's all I do). The tiniest little bit of inconvenience to save 11 ounces and have more space inside. And of course, the "mtnglow" thing is gimmicky and of little real use, IMHO. I've used a CS UL2, great tent, but too heavy IMHO for a thru hike.