PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof socks?

Greenlight
04-25-2016, 15:12
Has anyone tried Showers Pass "Crosspoint" waterproof socks? My online presence allows for quite a bit of targeted advertising and I've been getting quite a few for this product. I'm not a shill for the company and won't post any links to the product...you can google it if you're interested. But I would like to know if anyone has tried them and if they work as advertised and don't give you blisters of fall apart after a week of hiking. They're a bit pricey but if they work and last, this could be huge for a thru-hike. I do prefer dry feet. :)

nsherry61
04-25-2016, 16:49
I'm shameless.

You can link to Showers Pass socks here (https://www.showerspass.com/product-category/socks).

Its a good company. Their products are generally solid, if a bit geeky sometimes.

I think these socks look as promising as any waterproof sock ever has.

eblanche
04-26-2016, 09:01
I have a pair of rocky gore-tex socks that I used this past winter with trail runners and a few times this spring. They have worked well so far but they are a little bit stiff (some bunching inside of the shoe - could lead to blisters for some).

These look interesting as well.

show me the monkey
04-26-2016, 09:48
Would love to hear how they work out for you. I hate to sound like a naysayer, but, but any kind of waterproof breathable sock has inevitably failed for me. Socks get more friction than any other piece of clothing, so seams rarely stay intact and depending on how much your feet sweat, the breath-ability may be in question also. Please post your findings when ready.

Diamondlil
04-28-2016, 07:59
If you keep them for use inside your water crossing shoes and not your dry weather hiking shoes, I think they would be phenomenal. They could really keep your feet warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mandolindave
04-28-2016, 08:29
I tried a new brand of hiking socks for every hike. After one day of hiking it was always stink foot city. Manufacturers should have stink foot rating, but I guess nobody wants to do the study EWW

moldy
04-28-2016, 09:00
Another marketing joke. Did you ever see a "waterproof anything" that worked? Plastic bags?

nsherry61
04-28-2016, 09:05
. . . Plastic bags?
I want to buy sock shaped plastic bags. Any sources? Suggestions?

Greenlight
04-28-2016, 10:15
They don't look like something I'd want to have on my feet all day long, every day. I like the way you think, Diamondlil. For water crossings and muddy trails, I'd definitely like to have something in my pack that works. I'll post a review here if I do buy them and take them for a wet walk.

If you keep them for use inside your water crossing shoes and not your dry weather hiking shoes, I think they would be phenomenal. They could really keep your feet warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deacon
04-28-2016, 10:27

Bread bags work perfectly. Wear them over your liners (if you wear liners) and under your outer socks.

Sarcasm the elf
04-28-2016, 11:02

I have hiked with several members of this site who hike using goretex socks over their wool socks in the winter. This is the closest Option I know.

Bread bags work perfectly. Wear them over your liners (if you wear liners) and under your outer socks.

Arent those called "bread-tech" liners? :banana

rocketsocks
04-28-2016, 16:32
Bread bags work perfectly. Wear them over your liners (if you wear liners) and under your outer socks.i like umbrella bags there the wader of the bread bag world.

nsherry61
04-28-2016, 16:43
Bread bags work perfectly. . .
I use bread bags or vegetable bags extensively in the winter, and have for about 40 years. The problem is that, although they work, they DO NOT work "perfectly" for me. Two problems: 1) bags tend to slide down and bunch up, which can be reduced or stopped with rubber bands and/or tape, but it's a hassle and I want a better solution, 2) my feet are size 15 and most bread and/or vegetable bags, if they are large enough are only marginally so.

Gortex socks are close, but they breath too much to be a good vapor barrier and I really like the ultra-thin plastic bags so my socks are actually being the socks and the stink and moisture factor can be much more effectively managed.

I want to find disposable, thin, plastic socks in size 15.