PDA

View Full Version : First Section Hike Suggestions?

Juniper9
04-25-2016, 20:53
Hi all! I'm planning to do a solo long section hike this summer. I can hike mid-June through the end of July, so I'd like to aim for 250-300 miles. More if I'm lucky, but that seems like a good number to aim for on my first section hike, since I have a good chunk of time.

Does anyone have thoughts on what section would be good to hike that time of year? I'm trying to avoid ridiculous heat and bugs. Living in Maryland, I was thinking to start with Shenandoah and head north, since it's not far away. But I read that the bubble will be in that area in late June/July, and it makes sense to avoid extra crowds in the already-popular SNP. Is that true?

I'm not afraid of big climbs or rocky terrain, but I also don't want to burn out early on.

Any ideas are appreciated!

bigcranky
04-25-2016, 21:09
You could do an end-to-end hike of the 275-mile Long Trail in Vermont in 3 or 4 weeks. It's quite an experience, and you get to do a "thru hike". The weather is decent that time of year in New England, and you can get there and back on Amtrak (with some shuttle help and a hitchhike or two).

Juniper9
04-25-2016, 21:18
Thank you for the suggestion! I hadn't really considered doing a trail other than the AT. I've wanted to hike it for years, but the Long Trail syncs up with the AT for a while, right? Have you done that trail?

mandolindave
04-26-2016, 06:46
The Long Trail and the AT are together for a while and split near Kent Pond. The Long Trail is a good idea. Another option would be Vermont and NH.

Juniper9
04-26-2016, 16:20
Another option would be Vermont and NH. I've heard that the Vermont section is particularly pretty. I thought I would save New Hampshire and Maine for later, once I've done the rest of the trail, since I'd like to do Katahdin last.

Would it make sense to do CT, MA, and VT? That would give me about 290 miles, and I'd be well ahead of where I think the bubble would be. And if I had more time, I could keep going into NH. Does anyone have input on that idea, or any other ideas for me? Thank you!

mandolindave
04-26-2016, 16:42
I don't know much about CT or MA. I'm not sure I'm doing a Thru Hike. CT doesn't allow fires, and I would want that option. MA seemed slightly easier of a section. But that's just my perception as I haven't hike there yet. Is MA the section that has a deli every so often? Vermont has shade, water, mountains, and views. I kinda don't get wanting to save a section, except for maybe Maine.

Hikingjim
04-26-2016, 17:02
I've heard that the Vermont section is particularly pretty. I thought I would save New Hampshire and Maine for later, once I've done the rest of the trail, since I'd like to do Katahdin last.

Would it make sense to do CT, MA, and VT? That would give me about 290 miles, and I'd be well ahead of where I think the bubble would be. And if I had more time, I could keep going into NH. Does anyone have input on that idea, or any other ideas for me? Thank you!

That is not the ideal time of year for most of the AT unfortunately (august/sept are much nicer on the LT and north AT). CT/MA/VA is not the most scenic choice, and it will still be pretty hot and buggy at some of those low elevations. I would rather do vermont/NH. Just take your time in the scenic whites getting away from bugs (and also probably waiting out a few t-storms). That will still leave you about 300 miles worth of main to tackle if you want to end at katahdin eventually.

warm up with vermont and then hit the whites until you run out of time or can't take it anymore!

the long trail would be good, but there is a ton of unending forest for long sections, and the whites could be a bit better for bug/heat relief.

bigcranky
04-26-2016, 21:13
The AT and the LT are contiguous for the first ~100 miles, then the AT heads east to NH and the LT heads north to Canada. You can read our LT journal at the link in my .sig.