PDA

View Full Version : Some newbie questions, with Standing Indian Loop as an example

tombolino
04-25-2016, 23:34
Gonna do SI loop this weekend, Fri-Sun.

About how many Aquamira tablets do I need to bring?

How can I keep track of my miles walked as I walk?

I assume there are no signs with names of shelters or campsites or key points right at those spots? Like, how do I know Deep Gap campsite is or Carter campsite...?

Does Long Branch have blue blazes?

Thank you:banana

saltysack
04-25-2016, 23:52
I use a sawyer mini can't comment on drops..don't like the taste and waiting. There are blazes on the side trails and water sources etc. Also signage at the gaps, shelters and trail intersections...only issues I had my first time on the loop was finding Kimsey creek trail at deep gap parking area...all blazes were covered in snow. I also got turned around in the campground. I suggest driving through campground to get your bearings before parking at bc kiosk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Siestita
04-26-2016, 01:08
"How many Aquamira tablets do I need to bring?"

Purification tablets are light, so err or the side of taking along too many of them rather than too few.

Aquamira tablets come with instructions that, unless I am mistaken, recommend that you wait several hours before consuming the treated water. Read the instructions now, before your trip. Those instructions will also tell you how much water each tablet is intended to purify. Think through what containers you'll use to store the water while you purify it, and how long you'll wait for it to become safe to drink.

I use chemical purification, but not Aqua Mira tablets. Instead have used products that purify water within 15 to thirty minutes, specifically Potable Agua (iodine),Aquamira drops, and more recently MSR Aqua Tabs. With any chemical treatment, waiting longer than the recommended time probably increases the product's effectiveness further.

Starting to hike late in the day for a three day, two night trip, I carry with me from home either 1/2 liter or one liter of water. At the each night's camp I'll purify four or five more liters And occasionally I collect and purify a liter of water in mid-hike, during so during the day, when that is possible. So, personally I'd want to have enough tablets with me to purify up to twelve liters of water during the weekend adventure. Your mileage (water usage) may vary, of course.

Siestita
04-26-2016, 01:24
Hopefully you have a map of the Standing Indian area. With your map, the blazes and signs that are there, and some patience, you'll be fine. It's a pretty loop.

I don't use a compass very often on the trail, but I almost always carry one anyway, as insurance.

Enjoy playing with your toys. Take time to occasionally consult your map, your watch, and perhaps also your compass. Doing so can be both reassuring and interesting. And, once you figure out approximately how fast you are walking, you'll then be able to estimate how far you've traveled while also predicting future arrival times at map locations.

daddytwosticks
04-26-2016, 07:12
May want to pick up some sort of trail guide for the AT section that provides details on mileage, trail junctions, overlooks, etc. Definitely bring some sort of map in case you need to bail down one of the many side trails. Try googling Standing Indian Loop for more details. :)

saltysack
04-26-2016, 10:26
May want to pick up some sort of trail guide for the AT section that provides details on mileage, trail junctions, overlooks, etc. Definitely bring some sort of map in case you need to bail down one of the many side trails. Try googling Standing Indian Loop for more details. :)

+1 TONS of info on this loop!

bigcranky
04-26-2016, 21:16
The AT Data Book and the various thru-hiker guides have mileage data. You can copy the pages and just take those. It's worth owning one of them, anyway.

I'd want to be able to treat 4-6 liters per person per day, so I'd bring 20 tabs and then 10 more just in case -- they are awfully light.

Yes.

saltysack
04-26-2016, 21:49
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160427/e3f20b9aa29689ff43633dc8a76c980f.jpg

tombolino
04-27-2016, 00:09
awesome, thank you all!. Saltysack, what is that document?

saltysack
04-27-2016, 09:05
Screen shot from this...http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160427/9e7d845e450a9a3407c76b94b44dbc4d.jpg