PDA

View Full Version : AT Fire Hot Springs

wornoutboots
04-26-2016, 09:28
I spent the nigh in Hot Springs on Sunday 4/24 & it looks like they have re-routed the section from Hot Springs N to 15-20 miles? I'm sorry if this has already been posted but I couldn't find it. There are a ton of fire fighters down there set up at the Hot Springs Resort along with smoke jumper helicopters filling their tubs in the French Broad. Sad to see, the locals could see huge flames from everywhere in the city & were thinking they may need to evacuate. I saw a journal from someone just yesterday that they cld see flare ups from town. So if any in heading that way, heads up. 34609

blue indian
04-26-2016, 14:55
Dang! It doesnt sound like this situation is getting any better...

I was planning on leaving my car in Hot Springs for a couple of weeks. Should I find a different plan?

kolokolo
05-02-2016, 10:40
Just wondering if anyone has current information about the detour around the affected AT section North of Hot Springs

I am planning to hike this section in two weeks and am trying to plan in case the trail is not open by then.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diamondlil
05-02-2016, 10:56
Incident: Rocky MT N Fire 2016 Wildfire
Released: 3 days ago

Future Status:
At 6:00 this evening, the entire 105 miles of the Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park will be open to the public. The Rocky Mtn Fire 2016 is contained. The Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) has been lifted.
All other closures remain in place. See Closures section below.
Planned Events:
The Southern Area Red Team will transfer command of the fire over to a smaller Shenandoah National Park-based team effective 6 a.m. Saturday, April 30.
Closures:
The Appalachian Trail is closed from Blackrock Gap, mile 87.5, to Powell Gap, milepost 70. At 2:00 pm, the closure moves north to Doyles River Overlook, milepost 82.
Rockytop Trail, Browns Gap Fire Road, Rocky Mountain Run Trail, Jones Run Trail, Rocky Mount Trail, Big Run Loop, Gap Run Trail, Austin Mountain Trail, Onemile Run Trail, Lewis Peak Trail, Brown Mountain Trail, Patterson Ridge Trail, Big Run Portal Trail, Madison Run Spur, Furnace Mountain Trail, Trayfoot Mountain Trail, Blackrock Trail, Doyles River Trail, Madison Run Fire Road. The Doyles River Cabin is closed.
Personnel:
209 people as of 6 p.m. yesterday. This number will decrease throughout today.
Equipment:
1 Engine
Cooperators:
National Park Service, Virginia Department of Forestry, Rockingham County Department of Fire and Rescue, U.S. Forest Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Emergency Communications 911, the Central VA All Hazards Incident Management Team, and Grottoes Volunteer Fire Department.
Fire Weather:
Lingering showers this morning, otherwise partial clearing. Highs 62 to 67 in the Valley, 57 to 62 along the Skyline Drive. Winds from the southeast at 4 to 7 on ridges and saddles.

Dobie Swift
05-02-2016, 16:01
Just wondering if anyone has current information about the detour around the affected AT section North of Hot Springs

I am planning to hike this section in two weeks and am trying to plan in case the trail is not open by then.

Thanks.

I ended a section hike in Hot Springs Saturday. Bluff Mtn. Outfitters was organizing free shuttles to Allen Gap for anyone wanting to move on. The word in town was that the trail was going to possibly open today. Call BMO or Laughing Heart Hostel for the latest news.

map man
05-02-2016, 18:37
According to the Asheville Citizen-Times the entire AT in the Hot Springs area is now open again.

kolokolo
05-02-2016, 19:24
According to the Asheville Citizen-Times the entire AT in the Hot Springs area is now open again.

Great to hear. Thanks!