PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Shoes for Large Feet (Size 15)

bigred97
04-26-2016, 11:14
Hello All,

I am planing my hike for either the 2017 or 2018 season going NOBO. I am having trouble finding where I will be able to resupply trail runners due to my very large feet, and I know that some peoples feet swell. Do I buy multiple pairs in advance and have different sizes to choose from?

Also how long does a trail runner last? I've heard around 500 miles?

What makes feet swell? Is it just the pack weight added to your back or prolonged periods on your feet?

Secondmouse
04-26-2016, 12:16
don't try to find them on the trail. if you have a pair you like, buy several more and either pre-mail them to stops along the way or have someone send them to you...

Dogwood
04-26-2016, 16:46
Welcome to the Forum.

"I am planing my hike for either the 2017 or 2018 season going NOBO. I am having trouble finding where I will be able to resupply trail runners due to my very large feet, and I know that some peoples feet swell. Do I buy multiple pairs in advance and have different sizes to choose from?"

For thru-hikes with size 14 EEEE I don't leave such a critical aspect to accomplishing a happy thru-hike to buying trail runners on the fly totally blind or not having demoed the trail runners first and having a solid supplying manufacturer with the models I know in my size waiting in the wings. For someone with more common foot characteristics/shoe requirements such as a size 12, maybe a 13 and below without major foot differences from the norm one could likely get away more easily buying on the fly. Way too often I have had to waste valuable time and experience extended discomfort buying blind on the fly. This is what I do: "I buy multiple pairs in advance and have different sizes to choose from?" I usually buy just a 1/2 or, most often, 1 size larger and tweak it to account for my swelling feet. I tweak by adjusting my inner footbed volume, lacing techniques, socks, etc. Before arriving at my present understanding I would sometimes carve up new too small trail runners to allow for increasing feet volume. I don't make that mistake anymore due in largest part of adapting my current approach.

This is important though. My approach works for me in the context that I'm fussy about my trail runners matching my feet traits, the anticipated hiking conditions, etc. I'm fairly well experienced as a LD hiker under many scenarios which includes being knowledgable about my feet and trail runners. Consider where you're at.

"Also how long does a trail runner last? I've heard around 500 miles?"

This is a good question. You need to plan how many pr of trail runners to account for. Unfortunately there is no exact answer to this question because so many variables come into play namely different durability of various models, brands, consumer ability, etc. Making blanket statements to how long trail runners last is problematic as it changes individually from person to person and model to model! Be careful when the side line shouting begins about what some other experienced trail runner wise! For example, I've heard some say they only got 400-500 miles on a trail runner when I, having the exact same model wearing on the same trail, were able to extend the durability to 800-1000 miles. That means someone had to have twice as many pr as me on an AT the-hike. I do tend to keep my gear and feet clean and will replace the orthothic/footbed that usually helps me get some greater usability.

"What makes feet swell? Is it just the pack weight added to your back or prolonged periods on your feet?"

I assume it's both with being on your feet having the greatest impact.

Bigfoot86
04-28-2016, 17:48
I am with you on this as i also have very large feet. Finding 15s or larger is very difficult for me. I did find that my feet love inov8s so i will go with those in a 15 or 16 hopefully

bigred97
05-03-2016, 13:40
I am with you on this as i also have very large feet. Finding 15s or larger is very difficult for me. I did find that my feet love inov8s so i will go with those in a 15 or 16 hopefully

Inov8s top out in there shoes at US 14 or EU 46

nsherry61
05-03-2016, 15:28
Inov8s top out in there shoes at US 14 or EU 46
Actually, not true. Inov8 only makes some of their models in size 15, but they do make some. I wear them.

However, my new favorite shoe is the Altra Lone Peak 2.5 or if you like super padding, the Altra Olympus 2.0. The Inov8's that I have are lighter and almost zero padding with a very slightly raised heal. The Altras have no rise in the heal and are super soft and padded. Wearing my Altras is like wearing my bedroom slippers, except the Altras have great rock guards in them so they dance around on pointy rocks with no issues. Personally, I wish the Altras had just a little lift in the heal, but oh well.

jred321
05-04-2016, 14:49
Can the shoes you want to wear be purchased on Amazon with Prime delivery? If so, that's the easiest solution. Order them in one town and have them shipped to the next town (or 2 towns ahead if you're worried or there is a weekend in the way). By the time you get there your shoes will be waiting. Good for all kinds of supplies you need along the way, not just shoes.

Dogwood
05-04-2016, 18:40
bigred97 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/member.php/63418-bigred97) and jred321 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/member.php/51107-jred321) Are you two related? :p