PDA

View Full Version : Maryland on the AT

JLorenzo77
04-26-2016, 13:17
I'm a novice by hiking standards. In fact, if I were to write a book, I'd call it 'A walk to the woods.' I didn't get into hiking until very recently and as I approach 40 (13 months away), I find myself regretting not having found it sooner. Between family responsibilities and work, it's hard getting out there. And I may not be particularly good at hiking considering I've dislocated a shoulder and sprained a knee while doing it.

I've covered Maryland and WV thus far on the AT. I know most folks consider these states the easiest of the entire trail. As someone who hasn't set foot in any other state, I can't really disagree. What I can say is that in my opinion, the MD section of the trail has everything I want. The views are amazing, it's steeped in history and I can cover 25 miles in a day with only feeling like I died a little.

As I expand outward, I just wanted an opinion as to whether I should venture south into Virginia or north into Pennsylvania? Of course, I hope to experience both but since I seem to have limited opportunities right now, I'm curious about your experiences in both of these states and where I should start.

I looked at Snicker's Gap, VA to Harper's Ferry and that seems interesting.

Glad to have found this great community.

-Josh

peakbagger
04-26-2016, 13:39
Southern PA has some nice hiking, once you hit the infamous rocks after the Cumberland Valley its less fun. I would probably head south into VA and leave the central and northern PA rocks for later.

JLorenzo77
04-26-2016, 13:45
Southern PA has some nice hiking, once you hit the infamous rocks after the Cumberland Valley its less fun. I would probably head south into VA and leave the central and northern PA rocks for later.

Thanks, Peak. I've heard nasty things about those rocks up in PA.

chknfngrs
04-26-2016, 14:01
Either way you go, you'll love it

rafe
04-26-2016, 14:31
If you travel north from PenMar you won't be hitting the seriously rocky part of PA for a while. That's mostly central and eastern PA.

South from Harpers Ferry toward Snickers Gap is only a wee bit harder than MD, moderately rolling terrain, no huge climbs till you get to SNP, and even there, the terrain is mellow by AT standards.

Pedaling Fool
04-26-2016, 14:37
What's funny is that the southern portion of Pa has very few rocks, much less than Maryland and they have some really cool looking springs. Then it gets ugly from there...

I'd do the southern half of Pa and then go south to Virginia.

moldy
04-26-2016, 15:03
As you venture further afield you may figure out that by judging the AT by what you see in Maryland is, as they say, a bit myopic, akin to examining an elephant with a magnifying glass. You say that Maryland has everything you want. For a real eye-opener, take the Pepsi challenge, forget Pa or Va on this next trip and go either to Franconia Notch NH or to Fontana Dam TN and then hike North for a week.

JLorenzo77
04-26-2016, 15:19
As you venture further afield you may figure out that by judging the AT by what you see in Maryland is, as they say, a bit myopic, akin to examining an elephant with a magnifying glass. You say that Maryland has everything you want. For a real eye-opener, take the Pepsi challenge, forget Pa or Va on this next trip and go either to Franconia Notch NH or to Fontana Dam TN and then hike North for a week.

Moldy - Yeah, that is a very good point and I agree with it. Now, can you help me turn my beach loving wife into a woods loving wife? :)

Thanks everyone.

rafe
04-26-2016, 15:48

JLorenzo if the views in MD are amazing to you, Franconia Notch on a clear day will blow your mind. As for mileage, 10-12 miles/day in the White Mtns. is plenty, for me.

dudeijuststarted
04-26-2016, 16:18
NOVA/WV/MD/SOPA is a wonderful stretch of trail. If you liked MD, I'd head north into PA until you hit Duncannon. After that it can be enjoyable but it is rather one-dimensional until NJ.

Highly recommend night hiking Boiling Springs -> Duncannon if you can get a bright moon.

peakbagger
04-26-2016, 19:24
The Whites are nor that far away from southern Maine. About 60 miles from Portland. There are some nice white sand Atlantic ocean beaches just south of Portland in Scarborough, Old Orchard and south along the coast. Its not unreasonable to hike a section of the AT and still have supper in Portland. Portland has a very large seaport area called the Old Port. You can do a lot of the above tree line sections of the AT in the whites as day hikes while your wife hangs out along the coast.

rafe
04-26-2016, 21:12
The Whites are nor that far away from southern Maine. About 60 miles from Portland. There are some nice white sand Atlantic ocean beaches just south of Portland in Scarborough, Old Orchard and south along the coast. Its not unreasonable to hike a section of the AT and still have supper in Portland. Portland has a very large seaport area called the Old Port. You can do a lot of the above tree line sections of the AT in the whites as day hikes while your wife hangs out along the coast.

Nice concept in theory except that on a day hike in the White Mtns, you're likely to spend more time getting to or from the AT than you spend on it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking this approach, it's how I've hiked most of the AT in the White Mountains.

Distances to Portland (via Google maps)...

from Lincoln: 100 mi.
from Gorham: 85 mi.
from North Conway: 64 mi.

from Lincoln: trailhead is 10 minutes driving (Rte. 93)
from Gorham: trailhead is 5 minutes driving (Rte. 2)
from N. Conway trailhead is 15-25 minutes driving (either Rte. 16 or Rte. 302.)

How to combine mountains and ocean beach? Tough one. Hawaii? Camden, Maine? Cadillac Mtn. (Acadia NP).

shelb
04-27-2016, 00:03
... southern portion of Pa has very few rocks, much less than Maryland ...Then it gets ugly from there....

My first A.T.experience was MD (HF to PennMar, 55 miles in 7 days with 11 and 13 y/o). I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it!!! Yes, lots of big rocks to climb over, but also there were historical sites, etc.

My 2nd was SNP (Waynesboro/Rockfish Gap -Front Royal in 9 days with a 12 year old and a 13 year old)FUN section with the Waysides!!! You DO NOT need as much food!!! Lovely area!

My 3rd: PennMarr - 1/2 way through PA - Does NOT live up to PA's rep!!! This was a walk through cow pastures. We were doing 16-24 mpd! Seriously, do not think this represents PA!!!

4th: 1/2 way through PA - Palmerton: OMG - this was PA! Rocks, rocks! and more! My feet hurt for 2 weeks after I was done hiking! I think I bruised the bottoms of them!!!

5th:Palmerton - NY Border: Much better hike than the last! But, still rocks!

6th: THIS YEAR!!! NJ/NY border to VT border - we will see! (Although, if my friend can't go with, I might redirect and go down to Springer instead and start my journey north!

goathanger
04-27-2016, 06:30
I am a MD native, and like you, haven't hiked much of the AT outside of MD. I have enjoyed all of it, but yearn for better views.

That said, my next multi-day trip will be the triple crown of VA. Only a few hours drive from me, and I'll be rewarded with some really great views. Seems to pack a lot of awesome into a short distance.
http://www.midatlantichikes.com/triplecrown.htm

peakbagger
04-27-2016, 07:55
The typical drive time from Boston to the Whites is closer to 3.5 hours each way but every weekend car loads of folks make the drive for day hikes. I routinely day hike the Western Maine 4ks from Gorham NH and its two hour drive one way. What I was trying to get to is compared with much of the AT, the distance from a ocean beach to the summits is a lot shorter than elsewhere on the AT. My theory was let the wife roam the Old Port in Portland while hubby day hikes the most spectacular stretch of the AT. Possibly consider a day or two at the Mt Washington Hotel which has all the luxury amenities for the spouse and go hiking literally just down the road.