PDA

View Full Version : Dick's Creek Gap to Nantahala Outdoor Center

Harmless
04-26-2016, 21:57
I'm trying to put together a trip from Dick's Creek Gap to the Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC) or vice versa in late May. Any particular advice about this section (or the endpoints)?

daddytwosticks
04-27-2016, 07:19
I may see you out there. I'm planning on doing the later part of that hike around the Memorial Day weekend. I may be starting around Deep Gap or Mooney Gap and going onto the NOC.

This is a great section. Quite a variety of things to see. Take the time to check out Siler's Bald and climb the fire tower past Tellico Gap. This is also a nice time of year to hike. The days are still quite comfortable and long. Cool nights too. The best part: ending at the NOC. Food, beer, and a hot shower before heading home. Have a great hike. :)

MtDoraDave
04-27-2016, 07:31
I believe it's in that section where you come across Siler Bald Shelter. The one with the confusing blazes, but I think you can get to it by either going left or right. I went right. When I was there, the shelter and the surrounding (plentiful) tenting area were trashed with left behind food and food wrappers - even a pile of dog food (bear food). I got there early in the afternoon, so after doing laundry and bathing near the shelter, we hiked up to the actual bald to camp on top. Beautiful views up there. The down side is that you have to carry a full load of water up the hill (for dinner/ breakfast) because it's dry up there.