PDA

View Full Version : Where in PA Was this Photo Taken?

Colter
12-28-2005, 13:18
Someone asked me the location of this photo of PA Rocks I took. I believe it was in the area of the Hawk Mountain Road or Lehigh Gap. Anyone recognize this spot?
http://www.bucktrack.com/Appalachian_Trail/Pennsylvania_Rocks!.jpg

c.coyle
12-28-2005, 14:00
That could be almost any place north of Route 501. Definitely stretches like this near Hawk Mountain Road (Eckville). Maybe south of LG, but the first 7 or 8 miles north of LG are exposed and barren.

I think Hawk Mountain Road to Route 309 is the rockiest stretch in Pa.

The General
12-28-2005, 14:36
Dont care where you just got to love those rocks. Great picture too.

Colter
12-28-2005, 15:49
For what it's worth, it's looking northbound.

lobster
12-28-2005, 16:15
Far worse than those around the next bend I would guess.

Freighttrain
12-28-2005, 18:00
looks like the rock section around Bear rocks and the Knife edge

neo
12-28-2005, 21:21
i love pa,the rocks in pa aint nuthin:cool: neo

neo
12-28-2005, 21:21
i love pa,the rocks in pa aint nuthin:cool: neo

pa was one of the easiest states:cool: neo

Wonder
12-29-2005, 16:11
I just hiked that section a couple of weekes ago. It should be the poster for the 8 miles after Hawk Mt. Road. I love it! But hey! I'm a pa girl, I grew up on this stuff!

c.coyle
12-29-2005, 17:25
I just hiked that section a couple of weekes ago. It should be the poster for the 8 miles after Hawk Mt. Road. I love it! But hey! I'm a pa girl, I grew up on this stuff!

Me too, but I'm not as in love as you are. Pennsylvania is mostly ridge walking, and the rocks are overrated, but there are sections like that one where you can't take your eyes off the road for 7 or 8 miles at a time. And when you do get to look up, there isn't much to see.

If I ever thru hike, which is unlikely, I'm yellow blazing around Pennsylvania. The AT is great from Penn Mar to Swatara Gap, but for me, once is enough for most of the northern half.

Lobo
12-29-2005, 18:05
I agree with C. Coyle, the photo could be from anywhere north of 501. I attached a photo of a rocky section where you can't look up.

Cookerhiker
12-29-2005, 18:39
I agree with C. Coyle, the photo could be from anywhere north of 501. I attached a photo of a rocky section where you can't look up.

Yeah, chances are it's in the stretch you guys have referred to but it's also possible that it could be shortly after the ascent from Swatara Gap after the I-81 crossing. As noted by C. Coyle and my own experience, the rocks start on that ridgeline.

Hammock Hanger
12-29-2005, 18:46
Yeah, chances are it's in the stretch you guys have referred to but it's also possible that it could be shortly after the ascent from Swatara Gap after the I-81 crossing. As noted by C. Coyle and my own experience, the rocks start on that ridgeline.

Not sure but it reminds me of the rocks just south fo Leroy A Smith Shelter.

c.coyle
12-30-2005, 10:03

Classic shot. Not hard, just a tedious pain-in-the-a**.

So, after all my complaining, my wife wants to do Fox Gap to DWG on New Year's Day. :D

sparky2000
12-30-2005, 10:09
It does look as all of the Mid-State Trail looks.

Grampie
12-31-2005, 10:25
Someone asked me the location of this photo of PA Rocks I took. I believe it was in the area of the Hawk Mountain Road or Lehigh Gap. Anyone recognize this spot?
http://www.bucktrack.com/Appalachian_Trail/Pennsylvania_Rocks!.jpg

It sure looks like PA with all the rocks. After you hike the AT for awile a lot of places begin to look the same so it's almost inpossable to say just where in PA it is.:-?

Cookerhiker
01-01-2006, 13:09
It sure looks like PA with all the rocks. After you hike the AT for awile a lot of places begin to look the same so it's almost inpossable to say just where in PA it is.:-?

You're right about a lot of places looking the same. For those who enjoy PA's ankle-busting rockfields, I commend to your attention a 3-mile stretch in Central Virginia. Just north of Bailey Gap shelter going to Wind Mountain, this beauty slowed me down considerably when I section-hiked here SOBO last April.

Rollergirl
01-01-2006, 15:07
Darn it, Sparky took my sentiments exactly--that photo is identical to most of the Mid-State trail that runs through central PA. It's so bizarre that I did most of my PCT training on trails that looked just like that and never once twisted my ankle...but get me on a nice flat section of Carolina trail of the AT and off the mountain I roll...

Randomly, just imagine those rocks being the size of VW bugs and you have a section of the Europa Weg in the Swiss Alps just north of Zermatt...it's like rock hopping times a thousand...

Burn
01-01-2006, 18:31
not anything like lehigh gap....you'll remember the blueberry patches and pulverized flatbed no treessobo and nobo is the scramble, am flag, and exposed bolder slide....i'm thinking it is just before the ridge roll and balancing stone. the flat terrain throws me but i seem to remember that it was flat before the first knife edge kinda stroll