PDA

View Full Version : Foothills Trail?

SamBrooks_01
04-27-2016, 08:59
I've been trying to work out a shorter hike for sometime this year before the AT next year. I got on here looking for any other trails that people may know of that might be good for me and came across the Foothills Trail.

I just wanted to see if anybody on here has hike this one before. Opinions?

saltysack
04-27-2016, 09:36
I've been trying to work out a shorter hike for sometime this year before the AT next year. I got on here looking for any other trails that people may know of that might be good for me and came across the Foothills Trail.

Go to other trails section....My pup and I did it a few weeks ago. Great 77 mile trail. It was getting warm but tons of cool waterfalls. Id prefer a winter hike but had a great time.

AO2134
04-27-2016, 10:33

If you want to read about my experience on the Foothills trail: http://georgiahiker.weebly.com/foothills-trail.html

It is a great trail. Some other options in and around GA are the 112 mile bartram trail, the 286 mile Benton MacKaye Trail, and the 335 mime Pinhoti Trail.

Rain Man
04-27-2016, 10:54
I hiked the Foothills Trail, including the Spur, in three trips. Also, have hiked 1,700 miles of the AT. I'd say you have an excellent idea. It's certainly not the only southern Appalachians long trail that you could hike for practice, but indeed the Foothills Trail would be excellent practice for the AT, and a great experience in itself.

ChuckT
04-28-2016, 12:22
Rainmaker - how did you breakup the Foothills Trail into 3 segments?
Where did you get off and back on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

HeartFire
04-28-2016, 15:42
The Foothills trail is wonderful, depending on how many miles you want to hike, the FT is only about 75 miles, if you want to make it longer, start at Table Rock SP and hike west until it joins the Bartram Trail, (about 7 miles from the western terminus of the FT at Oconee SP) Then follow the Bartram to the end (Which ends on the AT)- you can then take the AT back to the NOC (about 7 miles) to get off the trail.

The only thing with this is the Bartram trail goes into Franklin NC (another good place to get off) there is a 14 mile road walk through Franklin to get back onto the trail. You can always get a shuttle across the 14 miles (I did - no point in walking 14 miles of concrete ). The Bartram trail is another beautiful trail with lots of water on it.

AO2134
04-28-2016, 15:49
The Foothills trail is wonderful, depending on how many miles you want to hike, the FT is only about 75 miles, if you want to make it longer, start at Table Rock SP and hike west until it joins the Bartram Trail, (about 7 miles from the western terminus of the FT at Oconee SP) Then follow the Bartram to the end (Which ends on the AT)- you can then take the AT back to the NOC (about 7 miles) to get off the trail.

The only thing with this is the Bartram trail goes into Franklin NC (another good place to get off) there is a 14 mile road walk through Franklin to get back onto the trail. You can always get a shuttle across the 14 miles (I did - no point in walking 14 miles of concrete ). The Bartram trail is another beautiful trail with lots of water on it.

Just a minor point, but the road walk is no longer 14 miles. They purchased some land and re-routed part of the trail. It is about 10 miles now. Of course, the "old" way is a recognized alternative. I am not sure, however, if they plan to maintain it.

AO2134
04-28-2016, 15:53
Rainmaker - how did you breakup the Foothills Trail into 3 segments?
Where did you get off and back on?

You could do Oconee State Park to Bad Creek (~ 32 miles). This can easily be broken into smaller chunks.

Bad Creek to Laurel Valley (~30 miles). This cannot be easily broken into smaller chunks.

Laurel Valley to Table Rock State Park (~16 miles).

That is how I did it.

ChuckT
04-28-2016, 16:02
Thanks