PDA

View Full Version : pack advice needed

Namtrag
04-27-2016, 10:45
I posted a thread yesterday which hasn't gotten any responses yet, so I thought I would rephrase and re-work my questions in hopes I might get some good feedback.

I currently have a SMD 2014 Fusion 65 that I got late last summer in the close out program they did while rolling out the new Fusion. I love this pack, and it's the first one that I have had that actually felt light and comfortable...I am wearing that pack in my avatar.

I am considering getting a smaller pack now to use on the trips where I don't need to carry a bear can, winter clothes, etc. Without giving too much information to muddy things up, I have also made the switch to hammocking, but have not yet gone on a trip with all my new gear. I formerly carried a Stratospire 2 tent. Now I will be replacing that with a hammock, and adding a tarp and underquilt to my pack. I also agree to carry my wife's tarp since she is picking up more weight by having a hammock and UQ she didn't used to have to carry. lol. I also carry the food for both of us on our typical 2-3 overnight trips.

This all being said, I am confident that I can easily fit everything into a smaller pack, but I may have trouble getting my total pack weight really low because I am carrying another person's food and tarp.

So here are the packs I am considering, and am on somewhat of a budget, so can't consider the cadillac brands and models:

The close out 50 liter Fusion, which is still somehow available on Six Moon Designs website with free shipping for $100. It has the same yoke and hipbelt as my pack, so the positive is, I know it will fit me and ride well...the down side is, it only drops my weight by 3 oz over the 65 liter one.

The CDT, which would save me at least a lb, but may not fit all my gear, and I may on occasion exceed the weight limit of the pack.

The Equinox ARAS Eagle, which is made in Pennsylvania, and which I can get on Amazon with free shipping for $112. It weighs only 21 oz, which means easily over a lb in savings, and as you can see in these pics, it appears to hold a lot of gear. The downside is, I have never met anyone with this pack, and there is very little info available when you google it. Here is a link to the amazon page:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002J8ZWYK/ref=s9_simh_gw_g468_i1_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1CSKKMDM64VHQRKA3732&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2437869742&pf_rd_i=desktop

I would consider an Ohm, but I think it's roughly the same size as my current pack.

anyway, as always, I appreciate your guys' feedback. It helped me a lot last summer when I was looking at the Fusion 65.

Greenlight
04-27-2016, 10:59
Namtrag,

The Equinox pack is frameless, you realize that, right? I would imagine that is where some of the weight savings comes from. Dang, that's a light pack, but what are you going to use for a frame? Would you trust it to hold more than twenty pounds of gear? There are so many packs on the market, my head swims, and the Fusions look high speed. I recently bought a redesigned REI Flash 65 that fits me comfortably, has enough room for my winter gear, and has side straps that compresses the bottom of the pack up toward the small of your back for the other seasons where I don't need a full 65.

Namtrag
04-27-2016, 11:14
Namtrag,

The Equinox pack is frameless, you realize that, right? I would imagine that is where some of the weight savings comes from. Dang, that's a light pack, but what are you going to use for a frame? Would you trust it to hold more than twenty pounds of gear? There are so many packs on the market, my head swims, and the Fusions look high speed. I recently bought a redesigned REI Flash 65 that fits me comfortably, has enough room for my winter gear, and has side straps that compresses the bottom of the pack up toward the small of your back for the other seasons where I don't need a full 65.

Yeah, the CDT and the Equinox are both frameless, but I hear conflicting comments about carrying 25-26 lbs in the CDT. Some people say it carries that ok, others say don't go over 20lbs in it. Haven't heard anything about the Equinox at all one way or the other.

I just wish the weight savings were more in the 50 vs 65 Fusion. It's almost tempting to just use the 65 all the time and cinch it down good and tight when I have a smaller load, but you know how us backpackers are: always trying to rationalize another purchase !! lol

bigcranky
04-27-2016, 11:19
I had a similar Equinox pack, it was frameless, and carried poorly over 20 pounds.

In your situation, carrying two people's food and some extra gear, I'd keep the 65 liter pack. Plus, my hammock gear ends up taking much more space than my solo tent. I'd rather have a comfortable pack that held everything easily, than save half a pound for a pack that wouldn't hold all my stuff, or would be packed to the brim. But that's just me.

Namtrag
04-27-2016, 11:25
I had a similar Equinox pack, it was frameless, and carried poorly over 20 pounds.
In your situation, carrying two people's food and some extra gear, I'd keep the 65 liter pack. Plus, my hammock gear ends up taking much more space than my solo tent. I'd rather have a comfortable pack that held everything easily, than save half a pound for a pack that wouldn't hold all my stuff, or would be packed to the brim. But that's just me.

Sage advice, but spoils all my fun! lol
The reason I was thinking hard about the SMD 50 liter Fusion is that I have so much extra room on weekend trips in the 65...you may not be able to see in the avatar pic, but I have the tent in the side pocket, and I have all my gear and a Bear Vault 450 packed into the pack body, and it still has tons of room...as you might be able to see above, the roll top is rolled as tight as it will go, making the pack completely flat across the top. The above pic is from the opposite side on the same trip, and I am not using the side pocket on that side(edit: actually I had my cup in there with an alcohol stove now that i look closer). I am figuring I will put my tarp in that side pocket, and my wife's in the other instead of the tent, so the only addition to my pack body would be my UQ and hammock. The food will not change, as it was the same before. We also got a Ursack to replace the bear vault, so I may actually gain some room that way.

In any case, you are probably right about just using the 65. It does compress very well. But the 50 might actually be pretty full with a weekend load, and I could use the 65 on longer trips, or in cold weather when I need more clothes.

Cheyou
04-27-2016, 12:45
I use a ULA CDT . 18lbs is comfy 20 is pushing it . Stick with the SMD

Studlintsean
04-27-2016, 12:47
I have also considered the CDT (currently use a Circuit which is great). Based on this statement from the website "Maximum comfortable load in this pack is under 18#, no matter what anyone claims no frameless pack is comfortable over this weight and we are no exception", I am not sure I would trust it over 20 lbs. If the 65 liter is working fine and you are really itching to spend some money on new gear (I know the feeling), perhaps you have other items you might be able to replace that will save more weight.

Cheyou
04-27-2016, 12:50
i forgot ! The CDT holds more then a SMD 50l . Son has the 50l

Namtrag
04-27-2016, 12:56
I use a ULA CDT . 18lbs is comfy 20 is pushing it . Stick with the SMD

That's what I was thinking too. I have a lot of pretty light stuff, but for me to get under 20 would take some doing. I typically have about 23-27 lbs depending on the trip length. I have been buried in tax season, but now that I am done with all that stuff, I will need to recalculate my base weight using my new set up. The nice thing about the Fusion is I don't feel hardly any of the weight.

Namtrag
04-27-2016, 12:58
I have also considered the CDT (currently use a Circuit which is great). Based on this statement from the website "Maximum comfortable load in this pack is under 18#, no matter what anyone claims no frameless pack is comfortable over this weight and we are no exception", I am not sure I would trust it over 20 lbs. If the 65 liter is working fine and you are really itching to spend some money on new gear (I know the feeling), perhaps you have other items you might be able to replace that will save more weight.

Yeah, that's probably the best thing to do.

i forgot ! The CDT holds more then a SMD 50l . Son has the 50l

I think the advantage of the SMD 50 in my situation is that it has an internal frame. I am thinking it could carry heavier weight comfortably than the CDT. It would be fun to take the challenge of trying to get my gear weight down so I could carry the CDT.

Cheyou
04-27-2016, 13:48
Fun bet expensive !!! Ha ha I got most of my light stuff on sale or returned items. Was on the AT for a Week my base weight was just over 10 lbs . That was with cool weather stuff. Low 20°s at night. With food and water was in low 20lbs when I started. I just ordered a Zimmerbuilt pack (zb2 croft).

Namtrag
04-27-2016, 14:13
Fun bet expensive !!! Ha ha I got most of my light stuff on sale or returned items. Was on the AT for a Week my base weight was just over 10 lbs . That was with cool weather stuff. Low 20°s at night. With food and water was in low 20lbs when I started. I just ordered a Zimmerbuilt pack (zb2 croft).

Exactly!!! Fun but expensive, and so much fun to talk about around the campfire.

One of my issues cutting weight is that I got a .5 oz starlyte alcohol stove from Zelph, but my wife insists she doesn't trust it, and that it takes to long to boil the water for our freezer bag meals and coffee, so she makes me bring the jetboil too...she says the alcohol stove is just something I bring along for fun lol. So instead of replacing the 11.75 oz jetboil with a 2 oz pot and .5 oz stove, I actually am adding weight by bringing the 2 oz pot and .5 oz stove. lol I will wear her down eventually so she relents, but am not gonna push my luck for now.

Cheyou
04-27-2016, 14:49
I used esbit on my last week long trek . Canister stove fuel has more btu per oz. so on a longer hike it can save weight. Especially for 2. Pluss jetboil is very efficient . I have bin married 35years. Pick your battles wisely ;0) .

Namtrag
04-27-2016, 15:25
I used esbit on my last week long trek . Canister stove fuel has more btu per oz. so on a longer hike it can save weight. Especially for 2. Pluss jetboil is very efficient . I have bin married 35years. Pick your battles wisely ;0) .

We are never in a hurry because we don't hike for hours on end, but for some reason she needs that water to boil in 1 minute!!! lol

I am kidding though, I would carry her whole kit if that's what it took to keep her going on trips with me. We have a blast together.

Greenlight
04-27-2016, 15:36
The JetBoil MicroMo is only 12 oz. Just sayin'

Exactly!!! Fun but expensive, and so much fun to talk about around the campfire.

One of my issues cutting weight is that I got a .5 oz starlyte alcohol stove from Zelph, but my wife insists she doesn't trust it, and that it takes to long to boil the water for our freezer bag meals and coffee, so she makes me bring the jetboil too...she says the alcohol stove is just something I bring along for fun lol. So instead of replacing the 11.75 oz jetboil with a 2 oz pot and .5 oz stove, I actually am adding weight by bringing the 2 oz pot and .5 oz stove. lol I will wear her down eventually so she relents, but am not gonna push my luck for now.

Turk6177
04-27-2016, 17:53
Stuck with ULA. I have a catalyst. A circuit is a little smaller and would easily fit your needs. Don't forget to subtract the weight of a new lighter pack from your base weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

left52side
04-27-2016, 18:09
I personally think for the price you cannot beat the fusion 50 that is on sale.
I have one and think it rides unbelievable, ( you having the 65 fusion already know how them packs suspension are).
And honestly I think I am going to buy another one just to put up for when they might be gone and no longer available.

Cheyou
04-27-2016, 18:21

Micromo might b small for 2.

Cheyou
04-27-2016, 18:22
I have one and think it rides unbelievable, ( you having the 65 fusion already know how them packs suspension are).
And honestly I think I am going to buy another one just to put up for when they might be gone and no longer available.

Thats a great deal on a good pack

Namtrag
04-27-2016, 20:15
Vs 4 oz for the alcohol stove and batchstovez pot I would bring instead!

Namtrag
04-27-2016, 20:17
Stuck with ULA. I have a catalyst. A circuit is a little smaller and would easily fit your needs. Don't forget to subtract the weight of a new lighter pack from your base weight.

The Circuit is about the size of my Fusion 65, and about the same weight, so if I did get a ULA, it would be the cdt

Namtrag
04-27-2016, 20:19

Thats a great deal on a good pack

Very very tempted to spend$100 and get another great deal!

Secondmouse
04-27-2016, 20:22
looking at your pics and I'm trying to understand why you have all that stuff dangling outside your pack yet it's not full?

I don't have the 50, I have a 65, but if that's how you pack all the time I don't see why a 50 wouldn't work well for you...

Namtrag
04-27-2016, 20:28
looking at your pics and I'm trying to understand why you have all that stuff dangling outside your pack yet it's not full?

I don't have the 50, I have a 65, but if that's how you pack all the time I don't see why a 50 wouldn't work well for you...
I always keep my crocs and my potty trowel on the outside, and the pad is in the spot that is for it, as the pack has straps down there specifically for that purpose. I made some water bottle holders for the shoulder straps ala the ULA packs.

rocketsocks
04-27-2016, 20:30
The difference between a 50 and a 65L pack is about 8" of nylon vertically and maybe 2 ounces. I prevfsr the later as its easy to load and the extra collar night allows for winter ware without having to buy a second pack if budget is an issue.

Secondmouse
04-27-2016, 21:59
I always keep my crocs and my potty trowel on the outside, and the pad is in the spot that is for it, as the pack has straps down there specifically for that purpose. I made some water bottle holders for the shoulder straps ala the ULA packs.

I see. I was looking at your avatar pic where you have something in one of your side pockets and the pack is still not full. I just prefer to have as much of everything inside if I can. I have the older 65L and am tempted to get the 50.

it just sucks because I already have so many packs and I'm running out of family members to give them to...

Namtrag
04-28-2016, 07:00
I see. I was looking at your avatar pic where you have something in one of your side pockets and the pack is still not full. I just prefer to have as much of everything inside if I can. I have the older 65L and am tempted to get the 50.

it just sucks because I already have so many packs and I'm running out of family members to give them to...
Oh, I see what you mean, yeah I keep our tent in the side pocket too because it's so big, plus I don't like to put it inside in case it's wet. Since we are moving to hammocks at least some of the time, I will just be keeping the tarps on the side pockets instead of the tent.

Also in that pic, I have half a sub stuffed in there somewhere for dinner since we only had to hike a mile to the first campsite lol

Love the last comment that you're running out of people to give packs to😀. It's a sickness, isn't it? Lol

Diamondlil
04-28-2016, 08:31
Sage advice, but spoils all my fun! lol
The reason I was thinking hard about the SMD 50 liter Fusion is that I have so much extra room on weekend trips in the 65...you may not be able to see in the avatar pic, but I have the tent in the side pocket, and I have all my gear and a Bear Vault 450 packed into the pack body, and it still has tons of room...as you might be able to see above, the roll top is rolled as tight as it will go, making the pack completely flat across the top. The above pic is from the opposite side on the same trip, and I am not using the side pocket on that side(edit: actually I had my cup in there with an alcohol stove now that i look closer). I am figuring I will put my tarp in that side pocket, and my wife's in the other instead of the tent, so the only addition to my pack body would be my UQ and hammock. The food will not change, as it was the same before. We also got a Ursack to replace the bear vault, so I may actually gain some room that way.

In any case, you are probably right about just using the 65. It does compress very well. But the 50 might actually be pretty full with a weekend load, and I could use the 65 on longer trips, or in cold weather when I need more clothes.

I like how you hide what your wife's pack looks like. I know for fact hers carries bigger than yours. Lol

Buttercup[emoji12]

Namtrag
04-28-2016, 08:39
I like how you hide what your wife's pack looks like. I know for fact hers carries bigger than yours. Lol

Buttercup[emoji12]

Nice try, Buttercup! Hers was sub 20 last time we went out, which was a long time ago. See you on the trail soon!

Secondmouse
04-28-2016, 11:33
Oh, I see what you mean, yeah I keep our tent in the side pocket too because it's so big, plus I don't like to put it inside in case it's wet. Since we are moving to hammocks at least some of the time, I will just be keeping the tarps on the side pockets instead of the tent.

Also in that pic, I have half a sub stuffed in there somewhere for dinner since we only had to hike a mile to the first campsite lol

Love the last comment that you're running out of people to give packs to. It's a sickness, isn't it? Lol

well, I mean every pack should have a sub-sandwich pocket, right?.. :D

anyway, I see what you mean. my crocs and trowel do live outside my pack and I keep a SMALL piece of rolled foam for a sit-pad in the pad straps. my tarp or fly, and sometimes rain gear, go in the outside front pocket but tent inner or hammock goes inside.

the size and shape of those pockets make it difficult to use them for bottle pockets. they work for umbrella, tent poles, lunch, water filter and squeeze bag, basically anything that I'll want quick access to without having to open my pack.

BTW, if you really NEED to carry some water in those side pockets the 1qt Nalgene Oasis Canteen has a shorter and wider profile than a round bottle and works pretty well there...

Namtrag
04-28-2016, 11:35
well, I mean every pack should have a sub-sandwich pocket, right?.. :D

anyway, I see what you mean. my crocs and trowel do live outside my pack and I keep a SMALL piece of rolled foam for a sit-pad in the pad straps. my tarp or fly, and sometimes rain gear, go in the outside front pocket but tent inner or hammock goes inside.

the size and shape of those pockets make it difficult to use them for bottle pockets. they work for umbrella, tent poles, lunch, water filter and squeeze bag, basically anything that I'll want quick access to without having to open my pack.

BTW, if you really NEED to carry some water in those side pockets the 1qt Nalgene Oasis Canteen has a shorter and wider profile than a round bottle and works pretty well there...

Those pockets were a deal breaker on that pack for many people, but luckily my wife is clever, and she rigged some criss-crossed shock cord above them so I can hold the tent in there without it chancing to fall out. You may be able to see it in the avatar pic.

Yeah, I do like having those front bottle holsters I rigged because I can drink without having someone else have to get my water bottle out of the pocket for me, but your idea is great. A shorter squattier bottle would fit fine in there!

Namtrag
04-28-2016, 12:41
The one issue I read many people complaining about was the shovel front pocket being too small. That one I can't understand. I put as much in the pocket on the Fusion 65 as I did on my Osprey Talon 44, and have no problems doing so.

left52side
04-29-2016, 17:56
The one issue I read many people complaining about was the shovel front pocket being too small. That one I can't understand. I put as much in the pocket on the Fusion 65 as I did on my Osprey Talon 44, and have no problems doing so.

I agree as well,I couldnt understand it.I felt that it has plenty of room for A front mesh pocket. Fits everything I need with lots of room left for more.
The side pockets yes I could see where some people would be unhappy with them but for me I have not lost a water bottle yet in them and I keep A one liter smart water bottle and a 8 ounce fuel bottle in one side and in the other I keep A one liter smart water bottle and never had a problem with them slipping out(knocks on wood).

Cheyou
04-29-2016, 19:06

Now now boys ! Ha ha if u were going from a ULA CDT to a SMD Fusion you would understand how small it is . But not a deal breaker for most and it can haul big weight

egilbe
04-29-2016, 20:04
The shovel pocket is small...but not a deal breaker. It's more of an annoyance, like the side pockets, which are ok if you don't use them for water bottles.

Namtrag
04-29-2016, 22:40
I have a tarp in one side pocket and my cook kit in the other, and the shovel pocket has a folding saw, platypus 2 liter gravity filter kit, rain cover, Frogg Toggs jacket, rain kilt, ground sheet, bug spray and Sun screen. I think it works pretty well even though it could be better!

left52side
04-30-2016, 17:09
Now now boys ! Ha ha if u were going from a ULA CDT to a SMD Fusion you would understand how small it is . But not a deal breaker for most and it can haul big weight

Yes I agree or you can say the mariposa or any other numerous packs with larger side pockets .
I was just saying from my experience they worked, do I wish they were bigger,sure. would I pay the extra 110.00 for A bigger side pockets,NOPE....