PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum flashing and hardware cloth

Patrick
12-28-2005, 17:28
I finally found aluminum flashing and hardware cloth to use on some stove projects and have a question about each.

The flashing is the two-tone gold/silver stuff. I forget the exact gauge, but it feels about twice as thick as MSR's. I followed SGT Rock's plans and made it with the tabs at each end to fold over. It came out really nice. My problem is that I went to adjust the tab a bit after making it and it broke off. I'd folded it down once, pressed it lightly into place with my fingers, then unfolded it, and it snapped off. I played with some of the scrap which behaved the same way. It's not a huge deal, but is this normal or did I get some kind of super-brittle flashing?

The hardware cloth I got is 1/4" galvanized (they didn't have non-galvanized). I got it to make a pot stand for my Ion stove. It's really easy to work with and the stand is awesome, but I noticed some discoloration after testing it. While burning, the ring of the wire about two squares down glowed bright red. After it cooled off that ring was yellowish and the cloth above it was dull gray. Does this mean my stand will turn to dust or is it nothing to worry about?

Thanks.

Seeker
12-28-2005, 17:41
hey patrick!

regarding the flashing, i'm guessing that since there are about a bazillion alloys of aluminum, MSR uses one that can take all that bending and the hardware store flashing is better for weather resisting... hence the prices. not sure what the solution is... i just use a cut down MSR windshield. I've heard that roasting pans work well, cut up.

regarding the hardware cloth, the discoloration shouldn't do anything.

somewhere out there is a metallurgist who knows the real answers, and will hopefully post something more enlightening...

Smooth
12-28-2005, 20:01
The smoke from burning galvanized hardware cloth is poisonous! It is safe once it has burned off, it will rust but that will take awhile. I would place the finished stand into a hot open fire and stand back till it burns off. then don't worry, if it wears out, make another. You got ahold of some good flashing. You will be happier with 'economy' flashing, also, on the job (building contractor) folding a crease into the flashing and unfolding the formed crease is a method of 'cutting' the flashing to size. Try not to fold a crease, just bend it. I have heard of titanium foil, has any one else heard/seen such? Be willing to change. Bring love.

LostInSpace
12-28-2005, 23:20
Try first heating the flashing over a stove burner. That will take some of the tempering out of the metal and make it more flexible. I do that with oven drip pans.

Patrick
12-29-2005, 00:02
Thanks for the advice everyone. Very good to know about the galvanized, especially the poisoning. Explains why I've only been able to see in black and white since yesterday.

LostInSpace, that sounds good. Is that permanent or just while it's hot?

I was just in Annapolis last night. Do you know Maria's restaurant?

LostInSpace
12-29-2005, 00:10
Is that permanent or just while it's hot?

I was just in Annapolis last night. Do you know Maria's restaurant?

It is usually permanent. Wait until it cools so you don't burn your fingers.

Yes, I know Maria's. I haven't eaten there for quite while though. My son worked there a few years back ... but quit because of the abuse that "Mama" gave the wait staff.

Patrick
12-29-2005, 00:22
LostInSpace,

Thanks I'll try that. But I'll probably burn myself because I'm impatient.

That is too funny about Maria. The waiter was just telling us last night about her firing a waitress and how he thought it was overly harsh.