PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a location for a section hike on southern AT

ideas9
04-28-2016, 00:52
I'm a 40-ish year old guy who has recently become interested in doing a section hike on the AT. I've been hiking and backpacking on and off locally since I was a kid, so I have some idea what is involved. But I've never done a trip nearly as long as the one I'm thinking of doing now. My (very preliminary) thoughts involve about 7-10 days of hiking and maybe 100+ miles of distance. I'm flexible on location, but I prefer the southern states, which are closer to where I live and therefore more convenient.

So, I need to find a location to do an AT section hike, with a couple preferences in mind:

1) I'd like to find terrain that is more "easy to moderate" than "moderate to difficult". I really don't want to overreach on my first section hike and be unable to complete it.

2) I prefer an area with a reasonable amount of water sources, natural or otherwise. Avoiding a lot of long stretches without a water source would be nice.

3) I think a good mix of wilderness and areas with support services would be good on my first outing. I considered doing the Shenandoah Nat'l Park stretch of the AT, but the thought of hiking alongside a roadway for ten days may not be the wilderness experience I'm looking for. Still, I realize some contact with support services adds convenience.

4) Great scenery is always nice, all else being equal.

I've thought of starting at the southern terminus and heading north until I achieve the desired mileage, but I'm not sure if the GA/NC terrain fits what I'm looking for. I'm in the very early stages of planning this. At any rate, all advice is greatly appreciated.

LittleRock
04-28-2016, 07:45
Hmm... maybe try starting in Marion or Atkins, VA and heading south. Trail isn't too difficult, there's plenty of water, you'll get into Grayson Highlands after a couple days, then Damascus another two or three days later. If you want a longer trip you can resupply in Damascus and continue on to Hampton or 19E in TN.

illabelle
04-28-2016, 10:40
3) I think a good mix of wilderness and areas with support services would be good on my first outing. I considered doing the Shenandoah Nat'l Park stretch of the AT, but the thought of hiking alongside a roadway for ten days may not be the wilderness experience I'm looking for. Still, I realize some contact with support services adds convenience.

Not sure if you've been to SNP or not. It's not like you're walking beside the road. It's just that the trail very roughly parallels the road, so if a newbie decides they want to bail out, the opportunity isn't more than a few hours away at most. The trail through SNP is really quite pleasant, not so wild as Maine, but still scenic and woodsy. I wouldn't count it out for a first trip.

Side note: I find it amazing that you joined WB way back at the beginning of 2009, and have a post count of 2!

ideas9
04-28-2016, 11:41
illabelle - I've not been to SNP. That section was the first thing I became interested in, but I read that the trail stayed near the highway, crossed it frequently, and had limited water. That discouraged me a bit. But I'll take another look at it.

As far as the post count, I didn't even realize I was a member until yesterday. Apparently I joined way back when and forgot about it. Maybe it was meant to be...

dcurryjr007
04-28-2016, 11:58
I'm also in my mid-40s. I will be heading to the trail on May 6th 2016 for a section hike from Roam Mtn to Damascus for trail days. Only about 80 miles or so, but should be a good starting point. This will be my first long stay on the AT. If you can work it out in time, you are welcome to join.

I'm a 40-ish year old guy who has recently become interested in doing a section hike on the AT. I've been hiking and backpacking on and off locally since I was a kid, so I have some idea what is involved. But I've never done a trip nearly as long as the one I'm thinking of doing now. My (very preliminary) thoughts involve about 7-10 days of hiking and maybe 100+ miles of distance. I'm flexible on location, but I prefer the southern states, which are closer to where I live and therefore more convenient.

So, I need to find a location to do an AT section hike, with a couple preferences in mind:

1) I'd like to find terrain that is more "easy to moderate" than "moderate to difficult". I really don't want to overreach on my first section hike and be unable to complete it.

2) I prefer an area with a reasonable amount of water sources, natural or otherwise. Avoiding a lot of long stretches without a water source would be nice.

I've thought of starting at the southern terminus and heading north until I achieve the desired mileage, but I'm not sure if the GA/NC terrain fits what I'm looking for. I'm in the very early stages of planning this. At any rate, all advice is greatly appreciated.

bigcranky
04-28-2016, 12:27
I would agree not to discount Shenandoah National Park. The trail does cross the road numerous times, and on weekends you'll hear the motorcycles, but for the most part the trail is on the opposite side of the ridge from the road. The trail in the park is a nice ~100 mile hike, not even close to flat (as many claim), but not too difficult either. It's something of a civilized hike, being in a national park: there are sign posts at trail junctions, and the occasional developed area where you can take a side trail to a hot meal, or a cold beer, or some resupply. (The trail generally goes the long way around the developed areas.)

Grayson Highlands is also good. From Atkins to Damascus is ~75 miles and makes a good seven day hike. The only downside is that there is no easy resupply in the middle. There are a couple of gas station grocery stores, but they are something of a hitch and may not have much anyway (thinking here of the Exxon in Sugar Grove, for example).

Starting at Springer and walking north is actually what I would recommend. The trail is good, with some solid climbs but nothing so hard as to break your spirit, easy resupply after 30 miles at Neels Gap, then a relatively easy resupply at 65 miles with an easy hitch into the large town of Hiawassee. You could finish at US 64 at Winding Stair Gap, outside Franklin, NC. You'll have several good views from mountaintops and fire towers, some easier walking and some hard walking, and a lot of good stories to tell when you get home.

Good luck.

illabelle
04-28-2016, 14:18
illabelle - I've not been to SNP. That section was the first thing I became interested in, but I read that the trail stayed near the highway, crossed it frequently, and had limited water. That discouraged me a bit. But I'll take another look at it.

The "highway" is just a 2-lane road, similar to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Not to say there won't be traffic.
We've never had any issues getting water in the park. If you don't yet have a trail guide, get one ordered. It will have all the details about where to find water, where the next shelter or road crossing is, etc. www.theatguide.com

ideas9
04-28-2016, 21:02
Illbelle - I'm not sure why the NPS page puts a negative spin on the SNP trail. Maybe it's a "can't say we didn't warn you" approach. This is the quote from their site:

Secondly, you should know that the AT crosses Skyline Drive many times; this is not a wilderness trail in Shenandoah National Park. Third, with one very short exception, the AT in SNP does not go near any streams, creeks or rivers; it is primarily a dry mountaintop hike which crosses the road frequently.

I actually ordered a guide yesterday. I think the opinions here will be really valuable in narrowing down where to look.

ideas9
04-28-2016, 21:07
dcurry - I really appreciate the offer. Unfortunately we are taking the family to the beach in May, so I'm looking to do this in the fall or (more likely) next year. It's going to be hard to wait that long, but it will give me some time to get in shape and refine my gear, so it's probably a good thing. I will definitely take a look at your route. 80 miles sounds like a good length to me.

illabelle
04-28-2016, 23:00
Illabelle - I'm not sure why the NPS page puts a negative spin on the SNP trail. Maybe it's a "can't say we didn't warn you" approach. This is the quote from their site:

Secondly, you should know that the AT crosses Skyline Drive many times; this is not a wilderness trail in Shenandoah National Park. Third, with one very short exception, the AT in SNP does not go near any streams, creeks or rivers; it is primarily a dry mountaintop hike which crosses the road frequently.

I actually ordered a guide yesterday. I think the opinions here will be really valuable in narrowing down where to look.

Interesting. The Smokies have several trails that follow mountain streams. There might be a series of minor waterfalls along the way. For sure, the AT through SNP isn't that kind of trail. Maybe that's what they're trying to get across to the general public. At any rate, you made me curious, so I got out my 2013 AT Guide and counted the water sources from Rockfish Gap to Tom Floyd Wayside (southern and northern ends of the park). I counted 40. There were some dry stretches of 8-10 miles. There were 3 or 4 sources noted as unreliable. Some sources may have been at developed campgrounds or picnic areas. Virtually every one of the 250 or so shelters on the AT has a nearby water source. There are a few exceptions. And some of those may be poor, or down a steep hill. But there absolutely is water available to hikers on the AT in Shenandoah. It's weird that they would imply otherwise.

ideas9
04-28-2016, 23:18
illabelle - That definitely makes me feel better about SNP. If there are 40 sources in roughly 100 miles, the NPS description seems overly pessimistic. Even if some of those sources are unreliable, it should be very manageable. My only guess is that they see a lot of people who show up unprepared and they are trying to head that off. Thanks for looking that up for me.

I'm curious, what AT guide do you use and/or recommend? I ordered one a couple days ago, but now I see a few competing ones.

illabelle
04-29-2016, 06:22
illabelle - That definitely makes me feel better about SNP. If there are 40 sources in roughly 100 miles, the NPS description seems overly pessimistic. Even if some of those sources are unreliable, it should be very manageable. My only guess is that they see a lot of people who show up unprepared and they are trying to head that off. Thanks for looking that up for me.

I'm curious, what AT guide do you use and/or recommend? I ordered one a couple days ago, but now I see a few competing ones.

The one I've seen most people use is the one I linked to earlier: www.theatguide.com

LesterC
04-29-2016, 08:13
I like your idea about starting at Springer. If you have that much time you could make it to Fontana Dam. The walk across the Nantahalas, from Winding Stair Gap to Fontana is beautiful, and you have the added treat of a meal at Rivers Edge at NOC. A demanding but doable hike. If you finish that section, you have a great starting point for your next section, SMNP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

doingtime
04-29-2016, 09:13

If you're looking for a hiking partner when you decide to do this hike, let me know.

MtDoraDave
05-03-2016, 07:46
When I asked an employee at an outfitter what a good FIRST section hike on the AT would be, he suggested NOC to Clingmans dome. 69 miles, and it was not easy to moderate for a first timer. Nevertheless, we completed it a day early and took a zero day at Double Spring Gap Shelter.
Having now hiked from Springer through to the northern terminus of the Smoky mountain nat'l park (Davenport Gap), I can't think of a section I would consider easy to moderate for a first timer.

Then again, a lot of difference between easy and moderate or moderate to difficult is how much weight you are carrying and how well prepared you are. That first section I did starting at the NOC - I didn't have an AT guide book, so I didn't know where all the water sources along the way were - so I topped off whenever I got down to half full of water... I carried a LOT of unnecessary water weight up a lot of hills. I was also using a pack that was very heavy - a Marine Corps surplus ILBE, which is very large and weighs about 9 lbs empty.

So, if you have a smart selection of gear that isn't too heavy and you know where water sources are so you don't have to carry much more than 1 liter up the hills, I don't think the GA/ NC section in the beginning is too terribly difficult, with a few steep or long climbs here and there. Albert Mountain fire tower is probably the most difficult climb, but it is short and so worth it.

SouthMark
05-03-2016, 08:05
40 years ago when I started hiking the section from the NOC to Fontana was known as the toughest 25 miles of Southern AT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coyote Rob
05-03-2016, 20:17
I don't know if Virginia counts as "southern," (it's the middle of the east coast to me, not the south), but I'd say Shenandoah, and it's not even close. The scenery is some of the best on the AT, the trail is some of the best maintained on the AT, and as you asked for easy/moderate, I'll add that it's some of the best graded trail on the AT.

There's hardly a mile on the AT that couldn't be improved by being more like Shenandoah. And I say that after it rained the whole time I was in Shenandoah. Of course, it rained the whole time I was everywhere else on the AT, so...

The only reason I'd say not to do Shenandoah is because the entire AT is downhill from there. And I don't mean in the literal good way.

ideas9
05-04-2016, 23:08
I think your point about weight is good advice. I did some backpacking in the bad old days when gear was heavy (and I didn't know any better). I don't intend to every hike again with a 50 pound pack. That does raise another question I've had though. In addition to gear, how many pounds of food/water/consumables do people generally carry on an AT section hike? I have a pretty good idea what my gear will weigh, but much less idea on the food and such, since I've never hiked that far.

When I asked an employee at an outfitter what a good FIRST section hike on the AT would be, he suggested NOC to Clingmans dome. 69 miles, and it was not easy to moderate for a first timer. Nevertheless, we completed it a day early and took a zero day at Double Spring Gap Shelter.
Having now hiked from Springer through to the northern terminus of the Smoky mountain nat'l park (Davenport Gap), I can't think of a section I would consider easy to moderate for a first timer.

Then again, a lot of difference between easy and moderate or moderate to difficult is how much weight you are carrying and how well prepared you are. That first section I did starting at the NOC - I didn't have an AT guide book, so I didn't know where all the water sources along the way were - so I topped off whenever I got down to half full of water... I carried a LOT of unnecessary water weight up a lot of hills. I was also using a pack that was very heavy - a Marine Corps surplus ILBE, which is very large and weighs about 9 lbs empty.

So, if you have a smart selection of gear that isn't too heavy and you know where water sources are so you don't have to carry much more than 1 liter up the hills, I don't think the GA/ NC section in the beginning is too terribly difficult, with a few steep or long climbs here and there. Albert Mountain fire tower is probably the most difficult climb, but it is short and so worth it.

MtDoraDave
05-05-2016, 06:22
A week's worth of food is heavy. I always bring 1 extra day of food in case of emergencies, which of course makes it heavier. I've never actually weighed it, but it's a lot.

One way to cut that weight way down is to choose a section with a resupply point half-way through. Starting at Springer, Neel Gap is 30 or 38 miles into your hike (depending on whether you take the approach trail or not) and the outfitter called Mountain Crossings is right there on the trail, and they will hold your mail drop for you for $1. They also have a decent selection of hiker type food, but why take chances on their inventory when they'll hold your box-o-food for up to 2 weeks?

JC13
05-05-2016, 09:55
From what I have read and seen in videos, it looks like most people stick to ~2 lbs per day of food. I was planning on carrying ten days worth until I read enough to realize that mail drops are the way to go on the AT. Plan now is start with 3 days worth, pick up 4 days worth at the first drop, then the last 3 at the next planned drop.

Water is the same deal, was planning on carrying 3 litres in the bladder but unless the sources are down/low in late July early August, will be carrying max of 2 litres.

ideas9
05-05-2016, 10:36
Two pounds / day isn't bad for a few days, but would really add up for week or more. I'd definitely like to resupply a time or two if possible. Plus if I have a resupply point I can offload gear that isn't working out, etc. Does anybody know if there are post offices or resupply points in Shenandoah NP? I haven't really found any good alternatives, so I will probably plan on doing the Shenandoah section, or Springer headed north. I haven't looked into transportation options yet, so that'll be part of my decision probably.

JC13
05-05-2016, 11:09
I would check this post. Has updated as of February resupply locations. I'm not familiar with the Shenandoah section or I would just give you the answer.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/1344

ideas9
05-05-2016, 11:32
Thanks, JC. I finally got my trail guide and I'm working my way through it, but some things find it easier to look up myself or ask here.

JC13
05-05-2016, 15:42
Thanks, JC. I finally got my trail guide and I'm working my way through it, but some things find it easier to look up myself or ask here.
I fully understand, that resupply post was Heaven sent for my planning!