PDA

View Full Version : Trail Hacks

Stitches
04-28-2016, 11:15
I just read a thread about keeping your sleeping pad from slipping. What other clever "hacks" have you used on the trail?

DuneElliot
04-28-2016, 11:35
Using shock cord or rubber bands on your guylines to keep your sil-nylon tent tight in wet weather

Secondmouse
04-28-2016, 11:37
bring toilet paper. and learn to distinguish poison ivy from other plants.

seriously...

bigcranky
04-28-2016, 12:17
Use an 8 inch square of plastic mesh, cut from a piece of an onion bag from the grocery store, as a scrubbie for cleaning cookware. It scrubs well, dries almost immediately, and doesn't get stinky or full of bacteria, like a sponge does.

DuneElliot
04-28-2016, 12:45
bring toilet paper

Not really a hack...just something essential you don't want to forget!

gte567e
04-28-2016, 13:03
I like using a rhododendron leaf as a funnel to fill waters bottles in shallow streams.

alnitak
04-28-2016, 14:01
Use an 8 inch square of plastic mesh, cut from a piece of an onion bag from the grocery store, as a scrubbie for cleaning cookware. It scrubs well, dries almost immediately, and doesn't get stinky or full of bacteria, like a sponge does. Cool idea!

rocketsocks
04-28-2016, 14:02
I like using a rhododendron leaf as a funnel to fill waters bottles in shallow streams.
They also make great little kayaks for boat races down a seep on a rainy zero day, winner cooks dinner!

DuneElliot
04-28-2016, 14:24
They also make great little kayaks for boat races down a seep on a rainy zero day, winner cooks dinner!

Isn't it supposed to be loser cooks dinner? I'd certainly make mine the slowest if not!!!

RockDoc
04-28-2016, 15:44
For a couples that zip your bags together, bring two big long rubber bands to attach your sleeping pads together. The rubber also keeps them from sliding around on the tent floor. If you don't do this you will both slide all over the place especially on those sloped surfaces we sometimes have to use.

rocketsocks
04-28-2016, 16:01
Isn't it supposed to be loser cooks dinner? I'd certainly make mine the slowest if not!!!
Nope, roaring water always has its way, if you get hung up on a log or hydrolic it won't be long till your free a flowing again and passing the leader for the chefs position, and besides I don't want some dirty tired hiker preparing my dinner for me. :D

Yup, I muffed it...loser cooks dinner. Ya also have to wait 3 seconds before clearing your boat from a log jam or hydrolic, fun stuff boat races.

Dogwood
04-28-2016, 16:53
Peeing on my feet. Never got a foot blister because I pee on my feet. ;) :D

I've heard this rec for so many things. :confused:

nsherry61
04-28-2016, 17:50
Peeing on my feet. Never got a foot blister because I pee on my feet. ;) :D
Now, that seems counter intuitive. I can only imagine what your shoes smell like. :p :banana

Dogwood
04-28-2016, 18:07
I like storing stuff in small sections of straws with melted closed ends. Beats buying pricey pre packaged individual sized packets of things like EVOO, drink mixes(coffee especially), protein powders, green powder mixes, etc. Good on trail hack for breaking down larger purchases of glass jarred(heavy!) dried spices, coconut oil, tahini, cocoa, etc. or taking along some regular ultra cheap non WP stick matches(three per straw). Buying larger portions more economically sound efficiently repackaging into smaller sizes almost always saves money.

Silicone WP spray, or equivalent, THE TOP of non WP trail runners will add no real wt yet keep shoes cleaner longer and make them less prone to absorbing water which makes them likely to dry out even faster. Can negatively affect shoe breathability especially if over doing the spray. Same can be done with backpacks possibly having no or less need for a pack cover in more situations or lessening the absolute need for purchasing high priced Dyneema Composite(Cuben Fiber) packs based on their water resistance characteristics.

Trashed Carbon Fiber fishing rods finely cut into appropriate length sections can be shock corded for dedicated tarp/shelter poles at a fraction of the cost of pre shock corded UL ones. They can sometimes be repurposed to offer a virtual suspension in some frameless packs possibly contributing to rethinking sleeping pads or existing frames/suspensions and backpacks.

Bathtub shelter floors can cheaply be constructed from window film/food packaging film at a fraction of the cost of Dyneema Composite(Cuben fiber) ground sheets. Durability will not be as great though and it can shrink in heat. Ohh, duct tape sticks to window/food packaging film too so need need for special CF patching tape.

Short sheet metal screws can be screwed into soles with a pocket knife can be a quick traction aid hack and later removed. Cost less than $2. If the holes don't close up or the mistake was made to screw too deeply(lol) or too long a screw(LOL) was used dabs of a small tube of Shoo Goo, Seam Grip, etc fixes it. McNett's Seam Grip has fixed more outdoor gear of mine than any other single fix it hack. Seam Grip has been a temporary no routine New Skin or Second Skin blister preventing alternative for me in a pinch as well.

Do you really need to buy a pricey often heavy by UL standards Nalgene or metal water bottle for backpacking when so many other bottles can be repurposed?

Trekking poles, often fancy, sometimes coming at considerable impact to gear and trail budgets, sometimes used as status symbols especially by ULers and hoity toity blue blood un limited gear money to spend folks, sometimes rather fragile and fussy in use, can be had with a stick. Ahhh, as in a branch. A walking staff can easily be DIY made with an old cheap more rigid light wt carbon fishing rod. I've seen DIYers make both a carbon UL walking staff and fishing rod in the same item.

Not a hack but a suggestion. Not always necessary to buy high priced prepackaged dehydrated meals. The cost adds up relying on these over the course of longer hikes. Learn to make your own meals often easily accomplished from common grocery store ingredients borrowing the ingredient lists/recipes from the dehydrated pricey dehydrated meal packages or accessing the multitude of trail adaptable recipes already on line from excellent in the know sources. Even if supplementing trail food resupplies with these sometimes pricey dehydrated meals consider repacking into decent Ziplocs to save on packaging wt, usually bulk, and tweaking portion sizes and ingredients to better nutritional profiles.

Small bottles of Dr Bronners castille soaps can offer multiple uses….bath wash, shampoo, gear cleaner, laundry detergent, etc. Some varieties like the Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Citrus, Lavender, and Peppermint can make acceptable non consumed toofepaste alternatives and the ingredients have been know to contribute to insect repellency. Interesting life story and alternative perspective comments of Emmanuel Bronner. Dental floss "wheels" removed from packaging and a needle safely stored are good to have for so many purposes…fixing gear, temporarily sewing up gashes, umm, cleaning teeth, making an animal snare, spare shoelaces, help to drain blisters, etc.

Learn at least one alternative way to start a fire with found items BEYOND a BIC lighter, matches, or bought magnesium/flint, etc. SO satisfying. Maybe we'll see you on Naked and (not)Afraid?

Learn how to regionally sustainably knowledgeably wisely supplement food from the wild. Ok we all know about blueberries, huckleberries, thimbleberries, and the occasional wild strawberry. How about advancing beyond by reading a book/accessing online sources about regional edibles?

Hangfire
04-28-2016, 19:40
1. Sawyer squeeze for washing your hands with minimal water use. With your sawyer squeeze attached to a 1 or 2 liter bladder, holding it upside down and up against your body like a bagpipe then gently applying pressure to get a steady trickle of water to come out of the filter. Great way to wash your hands with your favorite camp soap and get a nice lather and not waste a ton of water.

2. Using a 1 gallon freezer bag to wash your cloths (away from the water source).

Miel
04-28-2016, 20:42
I like storing stuff in small sections of straws with melted closed ends. Beats buying pricey pre packaged individual sized packets of things like EVOO, drink mixes(coffee especially), protein powders, green powder mixes, etc. Good on trail hack for breaking down larger purchases of glass jarred(heavy!) dried spices, coconut oil, tahini, cocoa, etc. or taking along some regular ultra cheap non WP stick matches(three per straw).

Non-reusable straws are satan's children. Please only use reusable straws, and don't discard them:

http://www.choosetobestrawfree.com/

Stitches
04-28-2016, 21:10
Baking soda for toothpaste. Baking soda also for insect stings. Non-smellable.

Stitches
04-28-2016, 21:15
If food only needs to be rehydrated, why heat water for it? In summer, consider it a "salad". At an afternoon water stop, add water to a ramen or couscous-based meal, walk a few hours, and enjoy.

Stitches
04-28-2016, 21:16
http://www.amazon.com/doTERRA-Peppermint-Essential-Oil-Beadlets/dp/B007TYXYF8 Baking soda plus these for a fresh mouth......

nsherry61
04-28-2016, 22:43
Wow, I guess I'm just a minimalist at heart. My tips:

bring toilet paper. . .
Don't need it. Don't bring it. Use soap and water.

Use an 8 inch square of plastic mesh, . . . as a scrubbie . . .
Don't need it. Don't bring it. Scrub with some pine needles or dirt or sand, or don't cook in your pot, just boil water.

Baking soda for toothpaste. . .
Don't need it. Don't bring it. Toothpaste is primarily a breath freshener. Just brushing is what is really important. Many dentists suggest toothpaste doesn't help at all, but just makes brushing more fun and tasty.

What's less expensive and lighter than trying to find the lightest piece of gear? Don't even take the gear to begin with if you can enjoy the trip without it. Knowledge is far lighter than either cuben fiber or titanium. And, acquiring that knowledge can be more fun than shopping.

Deacon
04-29-2016, 08:08
Wow, I guess I'm just a minimalist at heart. My tips:

Don't need it. Don't bring it. Use soap and water.

But then you need to bring soap. I've found that soap isn't needed.

CamelMan
04-29-2016, 08:09
Baking soda is also a great shoe powder. Unscented and prevents bacterial growth by making it too alkaline.

nsherry61
04-29-2016, 08:24
But then you need to bring soap. I've found that soap isn't needed.
Appreciate the sentiment. I've gleefully gone soapless myself in the past. But, unless you are traveling solo and not touching anyone or anything that another person touches, good hygiene dictates soap, especially if you've been using TP. And, since soap has many uses and my container is only about 1/2 the size of my pinky finger, it's not to much of a burden - less of a burden than TP, both in size and weight.

DuneElliot
04-29-2016, 08:48
Baking Soda is the most disgusting thing you can use for brushing teeth, unless you can deal with the salty taste...I couldn't, it made me gag! However, if you want a powder to use bentonite clay is actually better anyway...no taste, mineralizing and even less abrasive.

swisscross
04-29-2016, 09:23
My dentist told me that baking soda was too abrasive and would damage the enamel on your teeth.
The baking soda used in tooth paste is more refined, they said.
Don't know for sure but I stopped using it.

DuneElliot
04-29-2016, 09:34
My dentist told me that baking soda was too abrasive and would damage the enamel on your teeth.
The baking soda used in tooth paste is more refined, they said.
Don't know for sure but I stopped using it.

Your dentist was lying to you:

http://dendds.com/uploads/RDA_index.pdf

nsherry61
04-29-2016, 09:48
Why suffer through using baking soda on teeth when you can either use nothing at all, or as has been suggested many times on various backpacking forums, make little dried toothpaste dots and chew one up to reconstitute and brush your teeth?

Of course, I'm not sure why a tiny tube of toothpaste, if you want to use the stuff, is such a burden to carry. At least cutting the handle off ones toothbrush has the advantage of making it more packable, even if doing it just for weight savings is silly.

Hoofit
04-29-2016, 10:11
Now, that seems counter intuitive. I can only imagine what your shoes smell like. :p :bananaIn them ol' days, :), when leather boots were marching boots, I have heard that peeing was a fairly standard custom on leather boots, to soften them up.
Just be sure to leave them out to " breathe" for awhile....

Deacon
04-29-2016, 10:44
Why suffer through using baking soda on teeth when you can either use nothing at all, or as has been suggested many times on various backpacking forums, make little dried toothpaste dots and chew one up to reconstitute and brush your teeth?

Of course, I'm not sure why a tiny tube of toothpaste, if you want to use the stuff, is such a burden to carry. At least cutting the handle off ones toothbrush has the advantage of making it more packable, even if doing it just for weight savings is silly.

The ADA says that no toothpaste at all is most effective.

https://www.patientconnect365.com/dentalhealthtopics/article/brushing_without_toothpaste_should_you_even_bother

wannahike
04-29-2016, 11:43
Baking soda mixed with water, pour on wet hair, scrub, rinse out, excellent shampoo. I use this at home too.

SGTJones
04-29-2016, 11:57
Baking soda mixed with water, pour on wet hair, scrub, rinse out, excellent shampoo. I use this at home too.

Yep yep I decided to start the "no poo" experiment 45 days out from the trail.

First week I felt like my entire head was covered in grease. Did a baking soda rinse every 5 days for the first two weeks. Past the second week my hair stopped feeling greasy and my head stopped itching.

I haven't used even baking soda for the last 3 weeks. Just vigorous scrubbing under the shower head. It's great! No grease, no smell(girlfriend can't detect any odor), no itch.

Going to experiment with no soap on the trail too - just vigorous scrubbing and baking soda and see what happens. Hopefully the same principles will work for no soap. It would be really nice not to feel like a ball of grease if I don't shower every day.

DuneElliot
04-29-2016, 12:04

First week I felt like my entire head was covered in grease. Did a baking soda rinse every 5 days for the first two weeks. Past the second week my hair stopped feeling greasy and my head stopped itching.

I haven't used even baking soda for the last 3 weeks. Just vigorous scrubbing under the shower head. It's great! No grease, no smell(girlfriend can't detect any odor), no itch.

Going to experiment with no soap on the trail too - just vigorous scrubbing and baking soda and see what happens. Hopefully the same principles will work for no soap. It would be really nice not to feel like a ball of grease if I don't shower every day.

Be careful about the baking soda...it's not meant to be a long-term solution...just to get you through the transition. Honey is better to wash your hair with after a while. I actually just use water with an occasional vinegar rinse! I occasionally use a tiny bit of shampoo (a couple of drops) to wash out the minerals of the hard water that attach to my hair, but that's every couple of months, and no conditioner.

I don't use soap at all, except when washing my hands. I have found (and researched) that it's not necessary except to remove automotive-type grease. I have asked people if they can smell anything odd (excuse that I'm trying a new soap). I have had no negative responses yet, but the important thing is to shower!!!

DuneElliot
04-29-2016, 12:05

Sorry, misread your comment re. using baking soda for only 3 weeks. But my comment still stands for others thinking about this method.

johnnybgood
04-29-2016, 13:32
Vasoline covered cotton balls as fire starters at camp where fire rings already exist.
Going one step further ,I prefer using a wide straw to jam the lubed cotton balls into.
Visit a Party Central , Dollar Tree type of store and buy the wide straws . They are super cheap and come in packs of 25. Lube the cotton balls and push them inside the straw with a half inch of cotton ball sticking out from other end. Take a crimper and crimp the open end closed . Voila ! You now have a sealed heat source.
Much better and less messy way to carry fire starters in a zip lock bag.